INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steinberg MR816x - Firewire 8 channel Audio Device - Review  (Read 12596 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I've tried the Echo AudioFire 8 in the past, but didn't like it as much as my Essence ST/H6 for 7.1 output. I decided to try the Steinberg MR816x with MC16. I downloaded and installed the drivers from the Steinberg website before even receiving the MR816. After receiving it, I tested it first at my office. I just connected the Firewire cable to my computer (Windows 7 32-bit) and plugged in the power cable. I have a Samson SX1200 amp with balanced inputs so I connected using a pair of balanced cables. I connect to the subwoofer with a 1/4" to RCA adapter and RCA cable. I am listening using a pair of GR-Research N2X speakers and Hsu VTF-1 subwoofer.

I selected the device in MC with ASIO output and started playback of some music. It sounds great and has more detail and clarity than the X-Fi Elite I had been using. The X-Fi also seems harsh or fatiguing by comparison. I haven't yet tried it at home with my HTPC in place of the Essence St/H6. It has been compared on Gearslutz to some of the best D/A converters available (Orpheus, Lavry, Lynx, Apogee, etc.)

I did a loopback test using Room Equalization Wizard (REW) and the MR816 is down 1.3 dB at 20 Hz, 4 dB at 10 Hz, and 9 dB at 5 Hz. Update on Oct 4, 2011:  I measured again using the headphone output so as to avoid impedance mismatch. It is actually down .4 dB at 20 Hz, 1.25 dB at 10 Hz, and 3.7 dB at 5 Hz. When using a Tascam US-122L for input I measured an even flatter output - down .25 dB at 20 Hz, .8 dB at 10 Hz, and 2.7 dB at 5 Hz. The MR816x can be considered flat to 10 Hz with just a slight roll off to 5 Hz.

Here are some comments.

Device Configuration in Windows Control Panel:  The configuration tab is grayed out. There is no configuration. I'm not sure what games do when set to use Windows configuration. Update:  Steinberg released a driver update on Sept. 12, 2011 that now allows you to configure the driver based on your speakers configuration.

Volume Control:  There is a volume knob on the MR816 that controls the volume for all channels. You can also use internal volume control in MC for ASIO, WASAPI, or Kernel Streaming output. With Direct Show output you can use the Windows Master Volume Control and it will control all channels (unlike the AudioFire 8 which only control channels 1 & 2). This means that all channels from games, Hulu, Netflix, etc. that use Direct Show can have their volume controlled with the Windows Master Volume.

Channels:  The MR816 is an 8 channels device. From testing with MC, you can only output to all 8 channels when using AISO or Direct Sound. With WASAPI or Kernel Streaming you are limited to 6 channels (5.1). Games that let you select 5.1 output would also use 6 channels. I didn't test any games at 7.1.

Sample Rate:  When using ASIO, the MR816 automatically switches from 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96K depending on the source. It will not accept 192K so you have to down sample in MC to 96K. If using WASAPI or Kernel Streaming, you need to match the bit rate you have set in the MR816's drivers. For example, if you set the MR816 to a sample rate of 96k, then you need to resample everything in MC to 96K for playback to occur. With Direct Show output, Windows will resample to the sample rate selected in the MR816's drivers.

Output Levels:  The MR816 puts out +4 dBu on its outputs. The Audiofire could be switched from +4 dBu to -10 dbV depending on whether you were using Pro or Consumer gear (which usually means balanced vs unbalanced). I have several balanced amplifiers that I was wanting to use +4 dBu. My subwoofer amps, though are unbalanced. So far, I haven't detected any problem with using the higher output levels to the subwoofer amps. I just had to turn down the gain a little.

Room Equalization Wizard Compatibility:  REW now supports ASIO drivers. It was easy to select and setup REW for use with the MR816. You can even select which channel you want to use for the output. This makes it easy to measure each speaker individually in your system. The MR816 also has +48V phantom power available on all 8 of its inputs. You can easily connect a calibrated microphone from Cross Spectrum Labs and start measuring.

Multiple Devices:  You can daisy chain up to three MR816's together for up to 24 outputs. One MR816 acts as the master clock for the other devices. I'm not sure if they are viewed by the drivers as three separate devices or one device. If viewed as one device, this could be beneficial for those wanting to use active crossovers. Here is a thread complaining about direct monitoring with more than one device, but I'm not sure if the issue applies to digital output from software.

Overall the MR816 is a very nice device and it "plays" nicely with MC and other Windows programs.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
Re: Steinberg MR816x - Firewire 8 channel Audio Device - Review
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:41 pm »

I have now spent a week with the MR816. I really, really like it. I took it home and compared it to my Essence ST/H6. I only used it in 2.1 since I didn't have more cables. I did try it with both a balanced and an unbalanced amp. First, the MR816 has  more low level detail. This was evidenced by light/quiet guitar string plucks, percussion brushes, the vocalist's breath right before singing, faint cymbals, and other noises coming through that were normally masked. At higher volumes, the sounds might come through with the Essence, but they still were muted or dull. Second, the MR816 had a more natural attack and decay of instruments. The attack seemed more dynamic and the decay was longer. You could really hear the shimmering of cymbals. Third, the instruments were more defined in the soundstage. A lot of music is recorded in studios, but it is still mastered to make it sound like you are at a live event through the use of panning and probably a little magic. With the Essence, a piano sounds like it is coming from the right half of the room. With the MR816 the piano sounds like it is in a defined 3-4 ft space in the right half of the room. I guess this is actually described as better imaging. These three improvements added up to greater clarity. It was mesmerizing to listen to my "reference" set of songs and hear the the music so vibrant and real.

Initially when I hooked up the MR816 I had a lot of noise in the speakers. I discovered that I needed to use the drivers to mute the inputs. This greatly reduced the noise. However, on two sets of speakers with three different amps there is still a slight his when the ear is put all the way up to the tweeter. An inch away and you can't hear it.

There are three small light green LED's on the front that are always lit. One indicates what the volume knob is controlling (speakers, headphones, or a DSP function), one is for the clock source, and one is for the sample rate. There are also two volume knobs with LED's around them. These indicate the volume level, but can also act as a peak level meter while playing something. The volume knob/peak level meter LED's can be turned off in the drivers.

The MR816 has its own power switch. I wondered what would happen if it is powered down or up while MC is running. I couldn't get it to cause any problems at all. I thought I may have to restart MC or even the OS, but it powered up and was available to use within seconds.

The MR816 I received was a used unit, but was listed as mint condition by the retailer, Musician's Friend. When I received it the Firewire cable, software, and manual was missing. I called Musician's Friend this week about the missing items. They immediately e-mailed me a return label and are going to send me a brand new unit with extra charge. I am very impressed with their customer service.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »

Very fine review, mojave. :) I am reading just reviews of 8 or 12 channel DA converters which one to feed my coming Audio and Video system powered by MC17.

By your good assessment of Steinberg MR816x I will include this unit for a benchmark test with a RME Fireface UC. First I had an eye to Echo Audiofire 12 as test partner. You have rated the Steinberg MR816x higher than the Echo Audiofire 12. What are the tonal or usabilty reasons? How stable are the Win 7 drivers?

Attached my alternative setups.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:12:18 pm »

I've also bought a Steinberg UR824 which is USB. It doesn't have multichannel DirectShow filter capability like the MR816X, but this doesn't really matter since I now use the JRiver loopback feature to route all audio through JRiver. I think the UR824 has slightly better detail, but it is hard to tell. Both have good Windows 7 drivers and I am using 64-bit Windows 7. I am able to use a lower latency with 32-bit Windows which suggests better stability, but the latency doesn't really matter since I'm not doing live processing. The UR824 also has more annoying lights on when in use than the MR816x, but that is just personal preference.

I actually tried the Audiofire 8 instead of 12. I thought it sounded a little harsh and wasn't better than my soundcard. The drivers were okay, but, like the UR824, they didn't allow for proper multi-channel use through DirectShow. This is really only important if you game and can't use the JRiver loopback.

You may have trouble using two audio devices unless you slave the master clock of one to the other. Also, it may be difficult in JRiver to output the way you want. You could use two zones simultaneously, but Matt has mentioned that the timing precision isn't there for what you want to do. You can daisy chain two MR816x's and they are supposed to appear as one soundcard in Windows. This would give you 16 channels. I think you would be better off trying to use the Audiofire 12 for your purposes rather than two other audio devices.

Are you currently using Acourate? If so, how do you like it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:37:56 pm »

I've also bought a Steinberg UR824 which is USB.

Does the USB variant UR824 sound better than the Firewire MR816, which you tested initially?

I actually tried the Audiofire 8 instead of 12. I thought it sounded a little harsh and wasn't better than my soundcard. The drivers were okay, but, like the UR824, they didn't allow for proper multi-channel use through DirectShow. This is really only important if you game and can't use the JRiver loopback.

An useful info for gamer but I am not yet a gamer.

You may have trouble using two audio devices unless you slave the master clock of one to the other. Also, it may be difficult in JRiver to output the way you want. You could use two zones simultaneously, but Matt has mentioned that the timing precision isn't there for what you want to do. You can daisy chain two MR816x's and they are supposed to appear as one soundcard in Windows. This would give you 16 channels. I think you would be better off trying to use the Audiofire 12 for your purposes rather than two other audio devices.

This a very important question of driving two linked soundcards with MC. Is it possible for MC to adress simultaneously two soundcards? To clarify this question I mailed today to RME support. Daniel Fuchs of RME answered quickly with a statement that two linked soundcards will be shown as two output items in the Windows device manager. But both soundcards use the same ASIO (WDM) driver. However only the first item (loudspeaker icon) can be used for a surround setup. That´s his comment.

The same query of driving two linked soundcards I mailed to support of Steinberg. I hope the answer will come in the next days.

Are you currently using Acourate? If so, how do you like it?

Yes I have an Acourate licence and played with it until my PC shut down and started no more. Now I am using my office laptop until I build in a little while a new powerful HTPC with MC. Acourate delivers a tool for building XO´s and a very tricky algorithm with many setup opportunities for convolution.

Once the system works I will present the setup and his sound. As start solution I wanted to use a RME Fireface UC because this soundcard has a very good reputation in sound and driver stability. Meanwhile I possess a used Fireface UC which could be complemented by a second Fireface UC. However before buying a second Fireface I wanted to compare the Fireface with a possibly better and more low prized soundcard like i.e. Steinberg MR816X or Echo Audiofire 12. If the Fireface is not better it would be sold on ebay. There is a good market for used Firefaces.

At the beginning I had only one soundcard in my setup to provide the both active loudspeakers. The rest for center, subwoofer and rears I wanted to solve over a surround receiver. But after reading about the surround decoding and routing potential of MC I changed my concept: The surround receiver can be omitted and will be replaced by a second soundcard for the missing channels.

@JimH: Please test a setup with two linked soundcards. Maybe MC can be developped to route two linked soundcards. That would be great.  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:20:05 pm »

So I don't pollute this review, I split the discussion of my setup issues to a new thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76865
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up