INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ID3 tag information  (Read 2035 times)

jibbler

• Recent member
ID3 tag information
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:40:15 pm »

Having happily left iTunes behind I'm now using MJ14.0.166 to see how it goes and might move to MC16 at some stage.

One thing I've noticed is the information imported when ripping a CD is not great. I assume it's not using CDDB/Gracenote which, although had some irregularities it, was largely very good. Sometimes MJ doesn't get the genre or year but that's easily added/ At least it gets the tracks and artist.

But I've also noticed that there is very limited information in the ID3 tag. It has Album, Artist, Date, Genre, Name and Track # but that's it. I'm specfically looking for the Composer but other parts would be good. Why aren't they there? Are they there in MC16??

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: ID3 tag information
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:29:01 am »

It might be that some tags such as Composer are less-commonly populated by users, and thus might be less robust or accurate.  Also, I believe YADB, the CD look-up DB that MC/MJ uses, was built to have more reliable data than, say FreeDB, where info was often inaccurate.  I think the fields from FreeDB and cdplayer.ini were the template.

MC (but not MJ) now uses FreeDB as a fallback look-up service, so more CDs should have data.  Still no Composer though.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up