INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integrated Intel graphics on Sandy Bridge i3/i5/i7 [HELP NEEDED]  (Read 4807 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

The driver for the integrated video in the Sandy Bridge Intel chips has a serious bug.  Using FSAA (full screen anti-aliasing), which the driver reports it supports, results in a black screen.  There are some technical details here.

This means a new user with an Intel will get a black screen for Theater View, image playback, and anything else that uses hardware accelerated drawing.

Media Center disables FSAA for known Intel video cards, but I'm not sure we have them all.  Currently we have this list:

Code: [Select]
#define VENDOR_ID_INTEL 0x8086

#define INTEL_I5_2500K 274 // Intel HD Graphics 3000
#define INTEL_I7_2600S 258 // Intel HD Graphics 2000
#define INTEL_I7_2600K 290 // Intel HD Graphics 3000

If you have one of these Intel CPUs, could you enable logging (Help > Logging), then enter Theater View, exit Theater View, view the log, and look for these lines:
0018517: 2900: General: CDXCore::Initialize: Vendor Id: 32902
0018517: 2900: General: CDXCore::Initialize: Device Id: 274

Post the type of CPU you have and the results.

Thanks for any help.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Integrated Intel graphics on Sandy Bridge i3/i5/i7 [HELP NEEDED]
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:09:31 am »

Another solution would be to disable FSAA on all Intel video cards.  Perhaps this would be safer.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:01:42 am »

I have an i5-2540M in a Lenovo T420 latop, Sandy Bridge chipset.

I have no other machines running off an Intel display adapter.  Just a number of nVidia and ATI boards.  I've not tried MC and theatre view on them but could if so desired.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »

I have a 2500k and x16 AA works fine, but I guess this model is already taken care of!

Has anyone tried the latest Intel drivers, I believe they are up to 2462 now:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3282&DwnldID=20282&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

Will new drivers make a difference or is this a hardwired problem like the 23.976 bug?

SBR

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »

I have a 2500k and x16 AA works fine, but I guess this model is already taken care of!

Has anyone tried the latest Intel drivers, I believe they are up to 2462 now

Drivers for laptops are often a lot more sensitive to upgrades. 

As for your processor, it looks like the 2500k is already being excluded.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:53:56 pm »

Interesting.

I tried the latest 2500k driver last night, which didn't work.  It's what lead to this thread.

This is the latest driver for the Sandy Bridge CPUs that I could find at the Intel site, but it's much older:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3319&DwnldID=20037&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000%2f2000&lang=eng

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »

As for your processor, it looks like the 2500k is already being excluded.

Yes, I believe so. I was fooled into thinking the latest drivers fixed it, until I realised that JRiver is automatically disabling it based on my CPU ID, despite the options menu. Maybe the AA options should be grayed out in the menu if this is the behaviour.

These threads are up to date with new driver announcements:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/20439?start=435&tstart=0

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1303066&page=56

I haven't tried the very latest yet, but am on 2430.

SBR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:22:28 pm »

It won't override manual settings.  You can double-check by pushing Pause/Break in Theater View and looking at the status displays.

So are you saying there are new drivers with a fix, but Intel just hasn't put them on their main download page?

Thanks.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

It won't override manual settings.  You can double-check by pushing Pause/Break in Theater View and looking at the status displays.

OK, it's bedtime here now, I'll have a look tomorrow night.

So are you saying there are new drivers with a fix, but Intel just hasn't put them on their main download page?

There are these new drivers, but I'm not sure what they fix! Non existent changelog with them. Driver version 2430 installed fine on my system. I was having one of those updating days earlier in the week and came across this and a BIOS update for my MoBo, so thought 'what the hell' and updated them. I only found them because of the forums above.

SBR

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:32:28 am »

Hi Matt,

I can confirm that the status display shows AA: 16x, AF: 16x, V sync: On

As a rundown of my system, it is an Asus p8h67m evo(still on rev 1 as I didn't RMA it for the chipset bug) with the latest BIOS (1850). Running the next-to-latest Intel graphics driver (2430). Chip is i5 2500k lightly boosted by auto tune in Asus software to 3.5MHz and GPU to 1450MHz. No card in the slots at all (thinking of getting a NVIDIA card and DVB-S card soon {sooner if supported in JRiver!!})

I did fiddle with a few BIOS settings initially, but not since the BIOS upgrade a week ago, so I doubt that the old settings would stick through the update, so they *should* be vanilla.

SBR

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 05:11:54 pm »

Have I just been lucky with combination of BIOS version and choice of Intel Graphics Drivers?

Has anyone else 'fixed' the Anti-aliasing Bug?

SBR

CountryBumkin

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:48 pm »

further updated to 2476 on 16 August

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 06:32:03 am »

One small of-topic question if I may. Been looking into the new i5 or i7 Intel CPU's.
Does the HD 2000 and 3000 GPU's in this CPU's cope with Theater View and Red October well? Except for the anti-aliasing problem that is :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:28:21 am »

One small of-topic question if I may. Been looking into the new i5 or i7 Intel CPU's.
Does the HD 2000 and 3000 GPU's in this CPU's cope with Theater View and Red October well? Except for the anti-aliasing problem that is :)
hi MrHaugen

I have tested my i5 2500k (HD3000) with test files kindly supplied by jmone and posted the results towards the end of this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64782.msg441473#msg441473

In essence I had zero frame drops with ROHQ and MadVR in exclusive mode. It was a different matter in windowed mode. So it can get a little stuttery if exclusive mode fails for whatever reason. This seems to happen to me with my USB TV stick, but it is non standard and a little temperamental anyway, so probably the fault of my particular stick/drivers than anything else. I had a very useful discussion with jmone in that thread. (Thanks again jmone!).

For some reason I am getting no trouble with antialiasing with my setup. This is confirmed in the OSD for theater view as 16x antialiasing. Why that is I do not know!

SBR
Pages: [1]   Go Up