INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: copy file path  (Read 3414 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature request: copy file path
« on: August 19, 2011, 04:56:36 pm »

Another request I've got - one that's in line with the one I asked in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65911.0

Would it be possible to make an option that when a file (image, audio, video) is highlighted you can copy the file path? Preferrably also in the rightclick menu.

So I mean: the whole path, including the filename and extension.

Main reason I come to this request is that it's hard for me to explain to my 10-year old daughter how to put a picture on her Hyves (that's the Dutch FaceBook). And with just a rightclick thing this would be far easier.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Feature request: copy file path
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »

This is a nice idea.

In the mean time, here are two workarounds, either of which might be easy enough:

1) Right-click > Locate > On Disk (external)  will open the containing folder, selecting the image.  Then Shift right-click to find the Copy as path menu item.

2) Create a new Send To command.  Tools > Send to > Send To (External) > Add /Edit Programs...  In the dialog, click Add, and then set the Name to Show in IE, and then the Program Path select Browse and browse to either:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
  C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

Select iexplore.exe and leave the Parameters as "[Filename]".  Don't select Use a copy.

Ok and exit out of the dialogs.  Now, you can right-click an image, Send To > Send To (External) > Show in IE and it will be opened in IE, where the path is available in the URL bar.  On subsequent runs, the Show in IE will appear at the top of the Send To list.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:50:24 am »

Thanks for the workarounds - they do work quite well, although I do hope my request will be implemented.

I'll wait and see!
Mark Coutinho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:19:50 am »

I think it's a good idea.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:22:22 pm »

Would it be possible to make an option that when a file (image, audio, video) is highlighted you can copy the file path? Preferrably also in the rightclick menu.

It's no better than MrC's workaround for the specific application, but a more general solution is to simply pipe [Filename] to the CLIP command. That is, make a BAT file...

Code: [Select]
echo %1% | clip
...and add that to the SendTo menu (e.g., SendToClipboard.bat "[Filename]").

This may be more appropriate in cases where sending [Filename] to a specific application opens a new instance of that application each time it's used. This, for example, is what the current Locate command does—it opens a new Explorer window each time. Pasting the next filename to the existing window might be preferred.

A built-in Send [Filename] to Clipboard command would, of course, better. But if something is going to be added, maybe it should be a more versatile SendToClipboard command that could be added to the SendTo menu. That could be configured to send anything to the clipboard. 8)

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:44 pm »

Phew... That's a lot of techno-info. Let me ask a few things to make things more clear to me:

It's no better than MrC's workaround for the specific application, but a more general solution is to simply pipe [Filename] to the CLIP command. That is, make a BAT file...
What does 'pipe' mean? (I'm Dutch, so I'm not too good in English)

Code: [Select]
echo %1% | clip
Do I have to make this batch in Windows?

...and add that to the SendTo menu (e.g., SendToClipboard.bat "[Filename]").
I take it this part is to be added through this:
Send to ---> Send to (external) ---> Add/edit programs

Mark Coutinho

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:48:36 pm »

What does 'pipe' mean? (I'm Dutch, so I'm not too good in English)

Sluisteken  ;)

Do I have to make this batch in Windows?

Yes. Just copy & paste the code into Notepad, and save it as SendToClipboard.bat. Save it wherever you like, but remember where for the next step...

I take it this part is to be added through this:
Send to ---> Send to (external) ---> Add/edit programs

Yes. Set Program path by browsing to SendToClipboard.bat. Leave Parameters as the default "[Filename]" (with the quotes).

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:34:47 am »

Got it, Rick! It's quite a workaround (because it's tucked away a bit deep in the submenu's) but it's a start.
I keep on hoping JR comes up with a normal right-click option for this.

And, by the way, thanks for the Dutch translation of 'pipe'. LOL

Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up