INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Progress bar for saving tag changes when moving files  (Read 1407 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Progress bar for saving tag changes when moving files
« on: August 24, 2011, 03:34:05 pm »

Hi!

Is it possible to add a progress bar when moving files inside MC?

I'm about to move some 500 gig of videos to a new hard drive. To avoid having to import and tag them all over again, it seems the easiest way is to move them inside MC using Rename, Move & Copy files. Since moving from a USB drive, it'll take a while, and I'd really like to see a progress bar saying how long that's left and the option to abort and do the rest of the files later if it takes too long and I have to reboot my computer in the meanwhile, leave the house and turn off the computer etc.

Could such a feature be added?

Or is there a way to move the files in Windows Explorer and then just batch change the tags to point to the new location? I tried copying one file to the new disk and then changing the tag, but it then wanted to move the file over again overwriting the already copied file. When I selected don't move, MC gave an error.

I do NOT want to use the auto import feature that scans the library and updates for external changes, because I have some files in my library that is on a temporarily disconnected drive that then would be removed from the library, and I don't want to have to re-import them when I connect the drive again.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Progress bar for saving tag changes when moving files
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:02:33 am »

Great idea!

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:16:10 am »

I'm about to move some 500 gig of videos to a new hard drive.

Or is there a way to move the files in Windows Explorer and then just batch change the tags to point to the new location?

The easiest way to this is to move the files, then use the Find & Replace library tool to update the filename.

For example, if you are moving files from f:\music to g:\music, copy the files and then use Find & Replace on the Filename field to find f:\music and replace with g:\music

See the Wiki for more info:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

audunth

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:33:31 pm »

The issue can be worked around, but I'd still appreciate a progress bar/box.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up