INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there another (better) Equalizer for MC?  (Read 16245 times)

Ryssen

• Junior Woodchuck
Is there another (better) Equalizer for MC?
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:35:13 am »

With more bands,is there?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Is there another (better) Equalizer for MC?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:33:56 am »

You can use third party VST plugins with MC.

I can recommend Voxengo's free 16-band Marvel GEQ.

I have posted a link here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63182.msg440147#msg440147.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:12:32 am »

Alex has good advice.

You could also use the Parametric Equalizer in Media Center if you want precise control and an unlimited number of bands.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:21 am »

Matt has good advice.  :)

The parametric EQ is much more versatile and allows one to select the actual frequency and Q (bandwidth) that needs to be adjusted. Please ask if you need more help in using it.

If you do use Marvel GEQ and have a 7.1 system, you will probably need to set your own routing preset for 7.1 channels. This may have been added, but I have Voxengo Gliss EQ installed and it only had default settings for up to 5.1 output.

You can also install the demo of Voxengo Gliss EQ and use it to set up Peaking Plain filters. It has a nice graphical depiction of what the filters are doing. Once they are setup, you can re-enter your settings into JRiver's Parametric EQ and deactive the Gliss EQ plugin.

Ryssen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:06:58 am »

Thank you I will try them. :)

Ryssen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:56 am »

The 64bits verision failed to load,I am using the 64bits win7.Trying the 32 bits verision seems to work,they say that Itīs said that when using a digital volume control you can lose resolution,is this true with EQ to?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:35 am »

32-bit vs 64-bit is the compiler version.  Media Center is (mostly) 32-bit, and requires 32-bit plugins.

This is not to be confused with the precision of the audio path which is always 64-bit floating point in Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Ryssen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 02:22:50 pm »

One thing that I noticed is that when I use the eq say if I use 1 and then use 2 to get  a straight curve the curve in 2 aint straight ig you listen,why?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 02:29:21 pm »

One thing that I noticed is that when I use the eq say if I use 1 and then use 2 to get  a straight curve the curve in 2 aint straight ig you listen,why?
Can you rephrase this since I can't understand what you are asking? What EQ plugin are you using? What is a straight curve? Thanks.

Ryssen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »

Ok I try,in Marvel EQ I noticed that I have to bypass the eq to realy get a flat signal out,not just set the sliders to zero.The 4 brown buttons called "Underlay"I think they have sommething to do with it,not letting the frekv.curve being flat after using the EQ.So what are the "Underlay"for?

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »

I like EasyQ.  It's a freeware parametric VST plugin.  Download from the freebies section at rs-met.com.

It's easy to use and figure out for a parametric EQ.  Sounds good.  I like it.  Works well in MC.  Can have as many filter stages ("bands") as you want.  It's stereo only so no multi-channel support.

If you start playing with VST plugins I'd suggest installing the plugins outside of the "Program Files" directory.  Some plugins want to save settings to the directory that they are installed in.  That works OK in XP, but not in Vista and Windows 7.  So I install VST plugins to a directory like "C:\VST".  That keeps Windows and the poorly behaving plugins all happy.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:45 am »

Ok I try,in Marvel EQ I noticed that I have to bypass the eq to realy get a flat signal out,not just set the sliders to zero.The 4 brown buttons called "Underlay"I think they have sommething to do with it,not letting the frekv.curve being flat after using the EQ.So what are the "Underlay"for?
In Marvel EQ you can assign EQ settings to each Group. Using the Routing feature, you can setup a group for Mains, Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, etc. The Underlay buttons let you compare the EQ for each Group that you have setup. For example, in the picture below you can see both the gray and the orange sliders at the same time. The gray might be for the front speakers and the orange might be for the surrounds. The Underlay buttons have nothing to do with the output, they just let you see more than one set of EQ at a time.

remixedcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:48:23 am »

I have soundforge so I can use it's plugins and it has 3 great EQs. I use those heavy for older eurodance cd rips where I had to do it at 96kbps becuase I only had a 10GB HDD at the time. some of those I can't get at higher quality and I lost the cds and I can't find a lot of them on amazon or other sites ;-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up