INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help getting into BIOS, and running AES/VT-d instructions  (Read 2609 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe

I've bought my self a MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3), and I've ran into a couple of problems.

1. I can't get into BIOS, because the keyboards ain't getting power soon enough. It worked when I first installed the hardware and checked the BIOS, but now it's impossible. I've tested 5 keyboards. 3 USB and 2 PS/2 Keyboards. It's the same story on all. Anyone have an idea as to how I can fix this? Delay the POST under boot, or how I can get power on my KB faster?
Perhaps one of this USB Powerhubs is the answer? Would that make the keyboard communicate faster?

2. I'm running Truecrypt and Hyper-V on my server. My Motherboard and the i7 2600 is supposed to support both AES Hardware encryption instruction set and VT-d instruction set for better Virtualization. The AES instruction set worked very well at the beginning, but is was turned off after a while. This is probably because I installed Hyper-V and a guest OS. Perhaps this two things can not work at the same time?

Anyone have some clue as to what I should do here?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrHaugen

Re: Need help getting into BIOS, and running AES/VT-d instructions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »

I FINALLY managed to get into BIOS. What a PAIN. I bought a powered USB Hub as well, but no. It did not work.
What DID work was to take out the battery of the bios, and let it drain the power (5 minutes +-). Then add place the battery easily in the battery slot, but to not fasten it. Only so that you can power up. The power button on the motherboard should light up. Press power and remove the battery immediately!
The computer will halt, and show you some info of the CPU, RAM etc. Here you have the option to hit F1 to enter setup(BIOS). YEEEEEHA!

Now, I only have to install the OS, and check if the AES instructions is available, and the check it closely after everything I change or install in the OS. Something is probably disabling the AES-in. If it's the Hyper-V, I'll have to purchase another server as well :(

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:43:22 pm »

prepare yourself.........

Some machine BIOS just don't enable AES.  It's a very real problem with ASUS machines and some off-brand stuff.

There are multiple threads on this over on notebookforums.  People are very very frustrated.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:00 am »

Yes. Luckily I searched the web for a day or two until I found a CPU and a Motherboard that had support for this. There is not many motherboards at all, that support this. It's like you say. Some might have a written support for this, but it requires a BIOS update that nobody knows when arrives. Mine was prepared for it from the day of purchase though.

The arguing between AES-in and VT-d also seems to be solved. I decided to try VMWare Server instead of Hyper-V, and that one did NOT turn the AES-in instructions off. So, now I'm happy as pig in mud. Now I just have to install a Domain controller, Media Server, File Server, Web Server, management server, SCCM server, database server and so on :o Yea, I know I'm nuts. But it's fun to play with :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up