INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you create a Duplicate Entry in the MC Library?  (Read 1545 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Can you create a Duplicate Entry in the MC Library?
« on: September 09, 2011, 02:47:38 am »

I'd like to create multiple entries in MC for a single Video File, that way I can tag the playback properties separately for each entry (eg you could have different streams, Playback Ranges etc).  I tired using MPL files to import the XML data from the sidecar files again but I got some odd results.
JRiver CEO Elect

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Can you create a Duplicate Entry in the MC Library?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:30:47 am »

The files in the database are referenced by the filename. For an audio file you could create a custom cue sheet (it would be indexed as a separate library file), but a cue sheet does not work with video files.

A workaround would be to create an alternative file path on the OS level. If the file is on a network share you can mount the location as a new drive letter or if the file is local you can use the NTFS junction point feature or create a new virtual drive letter by running a SUBST command (for example, you can have a .bat file in the Startup folder that runs a SUBST command automatically).

The sidecar file may cause a problem if you have Auto-Import set to monitor changes. I have not recently tested if MC can automatically update metadata when only the sidecar file has changed, but if it can, you may need to change the auto-import and/or sidecar settings. Personally I export my video metadata periodically to a few mpl files (one for each root location) and have the sidecar system disabled.

EDIT

I don't know if a sidecar file even stores any playback properties data. I think it is limited to those library fields that are actually set to "write file tags".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:41:36 am »

Mmmm - all of that is ugly but I found a way of doing this by making additional MPLS files on blu disc rips....but I feel a feature request coming on!
JRiver CEO Elect

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:12:26 am »

jmone, why do you not add some extra fields ?
MT5FR

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:23:53 am »

I don't know if a sidecar file even stores any playback properties data. I think it is limited to those library fields that are actually set to "write file tags".

..that seems logic, but it's not like that with sidecars, all tags are written  :(
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up