INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: airport express zone keeps disappearing  (Read 9223 times)

vinylust

airport express zone keeps disappearing
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:30:31 am »

MC16. Windows 7. Air UPnP.
My airport express shows up as a zone, but will disappear from the zone list after playing a song for 60 seconds or so. It will reappear and continue playing after another 60 seconds or so, then disappear again.
I can use airfoil to hijack MC16 and it will play fine through the airport express (as long as iTunes is not installed on the computer. ITunes causes audio drop outs.)
I would prefer not to use airfoil so I can stream to several airport express zones.
Any advice, or direction to an already posted answer to this problem would be greatly appreciated.
I found reference to a similar problem in the forums, but no answers.
Thanks.
Ward.

Wryce

• Recent member
Re: airport express zone keeps disappearing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:10 am »

Hi Vinylust

I have 3 airports expresses running as zones and 2 dlna units and they all work fairly good except one that is in the storage and has a very bad connection on wifi.

The things i have done to get it to work are:

1.  Don't run the air upnp and Itunes, Airport on the same computer. Reason for this is that Itunes and Airport installs a newer version of the Bonjour service than air upnp needs.

Air upnp needs to have the Bonjour service it was installed with.

2.  Check the reception on the airport because bad reception will cause drop outs in MC. As a test you can use a cable and see if you still experience drops.

//Wryce

rolinger

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:52:03 pm »

Vinylust: did Wryce's solution work for you?

Wryce: on my main computer I have Airport Utility (to manage the Airport Express), Airfoil, Air UPnP running on my system.

My system processes show the following running:
Airport-UPnPService.exe
Airport-UPnPStarter.exe
APAgent.exe

Also, in SERVICES, I see the Bonjour Service running, but don't see the process ID for it.

I'm afraid I have too many conflicting things going on and I want to uninstall everything and start over.  Could you post a link to the proper upnp/bonjour app that is needed to get the Airport Express to be recognized as a DNLA device/zone within Media Center.

I have never gotten JRiver Media Center...or any other app (besides Airfoil) to recognize the Airport Express.

Will MC17 have support for Airport Expresses?

Thanks.

rolinger

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:01:03 pm »

Correction on apps, installed on my Windows 7 computer are:

JRiver Media Center: 16.0.181

Airfoil, ver 2.8.3
AirPort, ver 5.5.2.7
Apple Software Update, ver 2.1.1.116
Bonjour: ver 2.0.2.0
dBpoweramp Renaissance Air UPnP, ver Beta 0.5

If I recall correctly, I read an extensive article that said dBPoweramp was the one app that was required to get JRiver Media Center to recognize the Airport Express - but I have never gotten MC to recognize the AE on the network.

Wryce

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:02:30 am »

Hi Rolinger

Sorry for not answering this before but i've been away for some time and haven't been able to check forums and such.

the link to the air upnp i'm using is this.
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?19645-Air-UPnP-(control-Airport-Express-as-UPnP-devices)

this will install the correct bonjour if you uninstall the one you are using now.

for me it started working as soon as i took away all apple installations and then installed the air-upnp that i mention above.

I'm not at home at the moment so i can't dubblecheck my version on the bonjour will try to do that later on.

Also if you have a password set in the music section on the setup screen for the airports you need to take that away.

Regards:
Wryce

sskings

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:53:32 am »

I have this problem too with JRiver ID.  It's very irritating when it happens.

yoyoc

• World Citizen
Re: airport express zone keeps disappearing SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:18:22 am »

;D

This solution as explained by Wryce works perfect.  I was also having problems Now I installed the air upnp on my music server computer and setup my airport express on another computer.

Now the airport express zone shows up on all my MC renderers and controllers and works great without dropping out.

My multi zone is comprised now of :  1 server running WHS 2011, J river media Center 16 in DLNA server mode as a service, and air upnp; 1 PC running J river media Center 16 in player mode in my music room; 1 PC running J river media Center 16 in player mode in my home office; 1 laptop 1 PC running J river media Center 16 in player mode for listening while using it; 1 Airport Express in air upnp mode as zone in my bedroom; 1 Logitech Revue as DLNA player in my Home theater/ family room.

Everything working great.  The one thing missing. I have not been able to get the server library to be accesible from a diff location at my office. I think its the server's firewall or my DSL modem's port forwarding setup.

Work in progress.

vinylust

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »

I think I have finally solved this problem.
I added a new DLNA server under "options" / "media network"
In this DLNA server under "advanced" I made sure "DLNA" and "DLNAExtra" were NOT selected.
In the "Playing Now" column, I right clicked my Airport Express and associated it with this new DLNA Server.
No more drop outs.

The original Generic DLNA Server is still required so my Gizmo and JRemote apps can access the server.
I assume some form of interaction/interference between my ipad or android remote access and the airport express dlna was causing the drop out?
I am not tech savvy enough to understand the whys, but it seems to work great.
I have no Apple software installed on the computer (besides the bonjour installed with dbPoweramp Renaissance).

I hope this will help anyone else experiencing the same problem....

Windows 8 / JRiver 18.0.106 / dbPoweramp Renaissance

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 06:52:43 pm »

I could never get Air UPNP to work well in any fashion.  Seeing that it is now an unsupported and not available product you might want to move to something like AirFoil for $25.

I think others here are using it.

Good luck!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

vinylust

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:18 am »

Thanks Patrick.
I have tried AirFoil, but the loss in sound quality is huge.
My airport express has been working flawlessly for over a week now with the new DLNA server settings.....

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:54:32 pm »

Loss in quality was huge???

Is one transcoding while the other isn't?

Just curious.

-p
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up