INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering video playback in MC 16.0.179 using RO  (Read 2567 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Stuttering video playback in MC 16.0.179 using RO
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:12:11 pm »

A strange thing just started happening...  When using Red October Standard, video playback of vob/mpeg files "stutters" a little bit.  It looks like frames are getting dropped, or I'm not quite getting full framerate.

If I switch to Windows merit based, no issue.

Hitting <PAUSE> in theater mode shows that my framerate is good/normal, right at the target, but this is when the video is not actually playing.  (I don't know how to get MC to display the video playback framerate while the video plays; hitting <PAUSE> does not do it.)

I didn't used to have this problem with RO.  CPU utilization is fine, no extraneous processes.

Any ideas on what could make Red October stutter or drop frames?

Thank you...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stuttering video playback in MC 16.0.179 using RO
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:39 pm »

Try a reboot?

wer

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »

I always try that sort of thing before I post.  Restarting MC and/or rebooting has no effect.

Strangely, although the problem occurs when RO plays standalone VOBs, it does NOT occur when playing IFO-based VOBs.

It's frustrating, because I can't seem to get a configuration for playing video in MC that is consistently reliable.  RO has this stuttering problem, and Windows Merit based gives a "failed merit based rendering" on IFO-based DVD rips. There isn't other software on this system messing with the filter chains.  It's a clean install of Win7 that has MC, DVD Decrypter, and dbPoweramp ripper on it.

As it stands now, I am forced to reconfigure MC to switch between RO and merit based based on what type of video I want to watch.  

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »

I have a similar problem, but for me it is with certain AVI files. Nearly everything plays fine with RO (std), except these particular files which stutter. Strangely enough, they play smoothly under ROHQ.

I've given up trying to sort it out, putting it down to my older PC.

wer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »

I just tried the RO HQ, and for me that also does NOT exhibit the stuttering problem.

My PC is a new Core i5 Sandy Bridge machine, so speed isn't the problem.

Thanks for pointing out the RO HQ angle!

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:10 am »

Some people say that sound has an effect on the stuttering. You might try WASAPI or WASAPI event based, with Buffer set to 100 ms or similar. That's at least similar to what Jim have said before. And it have worked in some cases. Would be good to find out a pattern of why some have these problems.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:09:00 am »

Stuttering with VOB/MPG can be caused by a LAV Splitter problem. The problem was fixed a while ago, sadly the version bundled with MC16 was not updated since. I've poked them to update to the latest version just now, which may solve the problem.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:05:03 am »

Please consider this one, maybe it can help you.
I did some experimenting with the FPS tag (Frames Per Second) and the settings in Video, Display Settings.
Fill this tag with values from the mediainfo in the video file and select native screen resolutions in Display Setting.
I was looking after the refresh rates in the mediainfo and in the display setting as well as resolution.

This way I was able to avoid having MC to transcode the video stream. My PC did not have the power to do that on the fly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up