INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer build  (Read 3260 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Subwoofer build
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:17:52 pm »

One of the things on my bucket list has always been to build my own subwoofer.  I'm a simple man.

It's a little intimidating to post here when guys like mojave measure their subwoofers in horsepower instead of watts:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65300.0

But I thought I'd share a few pictures from my recent build:
http://pix01.com/yt%400JvU

The first two pictures show the subwoofer at various stages during the build, and the final one shows the finished product resting under my screen.

It's a birch plywood box, trimmed with oak, with a maple butcher-block top.  There's a single 12" driver on the bottom, powered by a power amplifier (2 channels of a 7 channel amplifier hooked to the dual-voice coil driver).  It weighs about 60 pounds.

I'm really happy with the sound.  I've always liked sealed subwoofers for music.  With mojave's help, I have Media Center applying a Linkwitz (DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer) to extend the bass response of the sealed box for the frequencies below about 35 Hz.

A little bit of trivia is that the big looking cabinet behind the finished subwoofer is Jesse Ventura's old stereo cabinet.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DarkPenguin

Re: Subwoofer build
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:27:02 pm »

You own a SodaStream soda maker, don't you?

Looks nice.  You could butcher a side of beef on the top of it and tenderize it with a few Morphine tracks...

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Subwoofer build
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:06:57 pm »

That looks very nice! It is much better looking than the subs I finished with black paint. I'm glad you are enjoying the sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up