INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MigrateSageTVtoJMC  (Read 8071 times)

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
MigrateSageTVtoJMC
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:51 pm »

MigrateSageTVtoJMC is a simple tool for creating JRiver Media Center metadata files for SageTV TV recordings.  The RemoteHttpApiForSageTV web service is required for it to work.

bin

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MigrateSageTVtoJMC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:00:10 pm »

The next rev of DTB will include this functionality as an action to fully automate the process.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:01 pm »

Oh this is awesome!!

Thank you so much!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:15:31 pm »

My favorite feature is that it accounts for recording padding when creating the xml file :)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:26:41 am »

Just discovered this and it does sound great. Have some questions though:

1. Are there any ways that it could mess up anything that Carnac does? I have a bunch of already imported Sage files and some more to later import.

2. I followed your link to RemoteHttpApiForSageTV. Do I just download and install it and let it do its thing, or is there some setup/manual stuff to do?

3. Not at all being on the same technical level as glynor would you suggest I wait for your new automated process using DTB? And will that version be announced here?

Thanks very much.

Rod

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:03:52 am »

1. Are there any ways that it could mess up anything that Carnac does? I have a bunch of already imported Sage files and some more to later import.

I don't think so.  Carnac just guesses about what it finds, this is the actual metadata from SageTV from the EPG.  Can't see how it would be anything but better.

2. I followed your link to RemoteHttpApiForSageTV. Do I just download and install it and let it do its thing, or is there some setup/manual stuff to do?

Install it from the plugins repository inside of SageTV.  You shouldn't have to do anything.

3. Not at all being on the same technical level as glynor would you suggest I wait for your new automated process using DTB? And will that version be announced here?

This app is easier, it's a GUI that you point at your SageTV recording folder.  DTB is a much more complicated tool that lets you do pretty much anything with files.  It's more useful because once it's setup canl write the sidecar file for every recording.  It's been working really well for me so I'll probably push it out in the next few days when I get time to package it.

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:59:58 am »

I'll probably push it out in the next few days when I get time to package it.

Had some time

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 02:02:47 pm »

babgvant - Thanks very much for the prompt & helpful response.

In looking at the SageTV plugins I see two by 'stuckless' (is that you?) one of which may be the one you refer to: sagex-api - SageTV API Extensions, and sagex-services - SageTV RemoteAPI Services. Is one of these the correct one, or have I missed it?

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:49:51 pm »

Alright...

How do I install the RemoteHttpApi in Sage 7?  The page you linked only refers to version 6.  Is this available in the in-application Plugin menu for Sage 7?

I looked through the big "all" list quickly, but it wasn't there (at least under "R") but it might be called something else, or included with one of the other common "API plugins".

I know I read about it before way back when I migrated from BTV, but I haven't got a clue where to grab it now.

EDIT:  Ahh, wait... There it is (it is called sagex-api, and I already had it installed).  Just to be clear (for others mostly, as I have both already):  In addition to sagex-api, you do also need sagex-services (the HTTP and RMI service), and therefore the Jetty Web Server, to be installed, right?

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:08 am »

How do I install the RemoteHttpApi in Sage 7?  The page you linked only refers to version 6.  Is this available in the in-application Plugin menu for Sage 7?

Sorry.  Same project, looks like he changed the name from when I first installed it (back in the V6 days).

In addition to sagex-api, you do also need sagex-services (the HTTP and RMI service), and therefore the Jetty Web Server, to be installed, right?

You should just need to install sagex-services, it will take care of the dependencies.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »

I am now experimenting doing TV recording in SageTV, but organizing and playing back in MC.

Several months ago I had a bunch of Sage recorded ts files that I imported to MC. Not sure how it all happened but by now they almost all have good metadata and cover art.

So now I have a few new movies and shows recorded by Sage. I installed the SageTV sage-ex plugin and told it which folder the recordings were in. It did add the sidecar files. Thanks a lot babgvant for this! So when I import the files in MC I have good metadata, at least for most so far.

What I'm not getting is cover art after the files have been imported to MC. I can go to the file in MC and do a search for cover art. None of the movies are recognized. But if I modify the 'Name' field it does get recognized. Example: 'Name' CitizenKane-93383-0.ts  If I put a space between Citizen & Kane, and a space after Kane the movie is found.

In looking at movies I imported from Sage a few months ago 'Name' has the spaces. That's why they all have coverart and metadata. What put the spaces there in MC? Did Carnac do it? Do I have to wait for Carnac? I've tried to run Import again and Fill Properties from Filename to no avail.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:57:59 am »

I bet using this plugin messes up Carnac.  Carnac won't overwrite existing data.  If the plugin creates JRSidecar.xml files for those new files before they get imported, then Carnac won't touch the populated fields (which almost certainly includes [Name]).

For what it's worth... I use MC with Sage as my recording engine.  I never open Sage for playback unless I'm watching Live TV.  I don't actually use any plugins though.  Carnac combined with a few well-considered Tag On Import rules does everything I need.

The vast majority of my new recordings (shows and movies) come into MC perfectly (and they automatically get their metadata from the "cloud") without any external assistance.  Try turning the plugin off.  You might not need it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:10:10 am »

One thing you do need to make sure is to have the file naming options enabled in Sage:

Setup > Detailed Setup > Customize > Include season and episode numbers in Filenames
Setup > Detailed Setup > Customize > Include episode names Filenames

The second one isn't strictly necessary, but it helps for shows where Sage fails to get Episode numbers (mostly documentaries and news shows), and is a good fallback if MC doesn't manage to get the cloud metadata if the Series name doesn't match perfectly.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 10:42:59 pm »

Glynor,

Thanks for your responses.

The SageTV plugin does nothing by itself - it needs the babgvant program to do anything. You point it at the folder and it does its thing. But it doesn't continue to treat newly created files. I would have to start it again. For instance I ran it one time and it made the sidecar files. But there are now several new movies and shows and it has done nothing to them. But just to be totally safe I just disabled the plugin. I also had already checked the two Customize options in Sage that you mentioned.

I haven't yet set up any of the tag on import rules that you linked to, but I don't think that would solve the problems I'm having.

Anyway, the movies that have been recorded the last few days in Sage have no metadata nor any covers showing in Theater View. The series Frazier is the only one that is working properly, ie, getting information. Examples of those that aren't are Doc Martin and Golden Girls, both shows that I would expect to be recognized.

I have 'Get Movie & TV Info', and 'Get Cover Art' checked in Import.

I think it is related to this in my previous post:

What I'm not getting is cover art after the files have been imported to MC. I can go to the file in MC and do a search for cover art. None of the movies are recognized. But if I modify the 'Name' field it does get recognized. Example: 'Name' CitizenKane-93383-0.ts  If I put a space between Citizen & Kane, and a space after Kane the movie is found.

In looking at movies I imported from Sage a few months ago 'Name' has the spaces. That's why they all have coverart and metadata. What put the spaces there in MC? Did Carnac do it? Do I have to wait for Carnac? I've tried to run Import again and Fill Properties from Filename to no avail.

Here's the latest group of .ts recordings from Sage:

And here's some that I imported from Sage several months ago that all have good metadata and covers:

Notice that in the old list there are spaces between words and numbers in the Name and Series fields. Also note that in the latest list there is still a group of numbers after the name, whereas in the old one they are stripped away. Also note in the latest list that the Frasier listings appear correct and they are the ones that show metadata in theater View..

It's like Carnac is just not doing its thing for everything but Frasier. What could possibly be causing this?

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rod

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:41 am »

The SageTV plugin does nothing by itself - it needs the babgvant program to do anything. You point it at the folder and it does its thing. But it doesn't continue to treat newly created files. I would have to start it again.

FWIW, I added the functionality to DTB as an action so every time something records the sidecar file is written. I use that approach instead of letting JMC figure it out primary because it accounts for recording padding, so I don't have to watch that if I don't need to.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 11:15:26 am »

FWIW, I added the functionality to DTB as an action so every time something records the sidecar file is written. I use that approach instead of letting JMC figure it out primary because it accounts for recording padding, so I don't have to watch that if I don't need to.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Until I can resolve why I'm not getting metadata I'm going to keep it simple and import without anything else changing Sage file names. But later I may experiment with DTB.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:37 am »

Just did an experiment to try to determine why I'm not getting metadata on SageTV files. I removed the SageTV recording folder from MC's Import Folder list. Just recorded a movie. Of course it does not show up in Video. Going to Drives and Devices it does. It shows Afterburn-242484-0ts in the Name Field.

If I correctly understood glynor earlier I got the impression that Sage should not put anything in the Name Field, that Carnac would later do that. If that is true then I must have something set wrong in Sage that is putting information in the Name Field.

Does my interpretation of this make sense? If so any idea what setting in Sage would be doing this?

Thanks for any ideas.

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 05:10:13 pm »

Carnac runs on Auto-Import.  Files that are not imported are not processed.

You can't use the Drives & Devices item to test it, unless the files are imported.

Mine works fine.

My new imports list processes all the files Sage records properly, removes the junk numbers at the end, inserts spaces as appropriate (95% of the time, a few things do slip through, but it is pretty darn good), and the Auto-Lookup works correctly in most cases without massaging the metadata manually.

I can post a screenshot if you don't believe me, but my New Imports view is full of recordings that are all properly tagged, with cloud metadata, and everything.  It doesn't work for every single file (usually if the [Series] tag Carnac pulls from the Sage filename doesn't match the Series name in thetvdb.com, or the Movie name isn't "quite right"), but the percent where it works is very high.

I disabled most of my Sage plugins when I switched to using MC.  I have just the Webserver and some basic UI functionality plugins enabled now.  I have nothing in Sage that is metadata related enabled.  (Incidentally, Sage seems much more reliable now.)

To Be Clear: This functionality would "break" Carnac if it is enabled, and you would get basically exactly what you are seeing.

Testing it should be simple:

1. Close MC (even the Server) completely.
2. Record something in Sage.
3. Look at the recording on disk (be sure to give it a little while after the recording finishes).  If there is a JRSidecar.xml file there, then something other than MC is writing them.

If there is a JRSidecar file there, then MC will use the data in the file when it imports it, and Carnac doesn't process those fields.  You can easily open up the JRSidecar file in a text editor to see what it contains.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 11:11:03 am »

Thanks again glynor for you very thorough post.

The test I mentioned doing was to see if Sage was populating the name field as I sort of got from you that it should be left blank so MC can populate it. I'm still not clear if ONLY MC should populate it. Do you know?

So here are the results of my test and your test: Sage is NOT writing a Sidecar file. For Frasier there are Sidecar files that are being written by MC. No Sidecar Files for others.

I certainly believe that you are getting good results - no need to post a screen shot!

The only Sage plugins that are now enabled are those for Comskip and for the Web Server. BTW thanks for the tip on Web Server. We really like it and are now doing all scheduling and monitoring from our desktops. The only plugin I'm not sure of is Groovy Tools. I think it's there for the Web Server, or possibly Comskip. But I don't believe it's doing anything to mess up metadata.

I'm going to make a post in the Main MC17 forum asking if the Windows Explorer list I'll show should be treated by Carnac.

Thanks again for all your efforts here glynor.

Rod

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »

I am sorry but I am not getting how to install and use this program. I see a few download links in here, but not sure what to do.  I have the Sage server plugins already in use, I believe, with Sageex-api, SageTV Web interface, and others.

I downloaded DVRMSToolbox1225.zip and installed it. Downloaded the migrateSageTVtoJMC zip and ran the
exe, chose my folder for where Sage tv recordings are (T:\), entered the correct port and user\pwd and it looked like it ran something. Yet I don't see xml sidecars in my folder.

Any simple directions for this? 

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »

I am sorry but I am not getting how to install and use this program. I see a few download links in here, but not sure what to do.  I have the Sage server plugins already in use, I believe, with Sageex-api, SageTV Web interface, and others.

I downloaded DVRMSToolbox1225.zip and installed it. Downloaded the migrateSageTVtoJMC zip and ran the
exe, chose my folder for where Sage tv recordings are (T:\), entered the correct port and user\pwd and it looked like it ran something. Yet I don't see xml sidecars in my folder.

Any simple directions for this? 

I'm not using it & it doesn't sound like Glynor is either. For me it is just not necessary now the Carnac in MC is so good at getting Metadata and MC seems to recognize the Sage numbering system well.

I, like Glynor, do no metadata collection in Sage. I have my MC Import Folder set for the folder where the Sage recordings are stored. Everything works wonderful. Get descriptions and cover art. We also use Comskip which is fairly successful. Very simple and it all just works!

Let us know if you need more help.

Rod

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 09:13:51 am »

Good to know.  I enabled these options in Sage so maybe on the next recording it will pick up the tags directly.

Setup > Detailed Setup > Customize > Include season and episode numbers in Filenames
Setup > Detailed Setup > Customize > Include episode names Filenames (Was already set correctly)

I'll get a recording and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

Pete

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 09:21:04 am »

Good to know.  I enabled these options in Sage so maybe on the next recording it will pick up the tags directly.

Setup > Detailed Setup > Customize > Include episode names Filenames (Was already set correctly)

I'll get a recording and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

Pete

And you did point Tools, Import, Configure Auto Import  to the Folder where Sage puts the recordings?

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Rod

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 10:28:40 am »

Yes, I do have my import set to the T:\folder. It just was not getting the series info or any descriptions. Enabling the settings in Sage appears to have fixed it. I just recorded a 1/2 hour show and it picked up the information. The description was not as long as what showed in Sage but I am guessing it is pulling that from a different source and thus can differ.

It appear this should work.

Thanks again!

Pete

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 11:28:05 am »

Your welcome. Glad it's working for you.

Rod

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 11:35:08 am »

I have another question if I may. Is there a way within Sage to update my existing recording with the more detailed info?  Like I said previously, I think changing the sage settings for how it named the file may have been my initial fix. I was thinking maybe there would be an easy way to get those recordings with the correct info and thus MC would pick up the new info on those older recordings as well.

Wishful thinking I know, but it can't hurt to dream!

Pete

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 11:48:29 am »

I have another question if I may. Is there a way within Sage to update my existing recording with the more detailed info?  Like I said previously, I think changing the sage settings for how it named the file may have been my initial fix. I was thinking maybe there would be an easy way to get those recordings with the correct info and thus MC would pick up the new info on those older recordings as well.

Wishful thinking I know, but it can't hurt to dream!

Pete

You could do the following:

1. Remove your recording folder from 'Import'.
2. Delete the files from your library. Be sure it's library only - not also from the HD. MC gives you that option at delete time.
3. Add the recording folder back to Import.
4. Select that folder in Import and hit Edit. Then be sure the box that allows re-importing of previously deleted folders is checked.
5. When yu finish the Import stuff the recordings should be re-imported, hopefully with all the good Carnac stuff.

Rod

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »

I understand that on the MC side and I'll try to remove them within MC and see, I guess it cannot hurt.  I was thinking I needed these formatted differently within Sage first for some reason, like the info or file naming was not correct when I originally recorded the programs, and thus MC was not importing them correctly.

Pete

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 12:35:34 pm »

I removed and added again.  Newer shows since my Sage change are showing up with series name and info. The others are not. 

Not a big deal, I'll add the info as needed.

Thanks for the help!

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up