INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature requests  (Read 16268 times)

richardap

• Recent member
Feature requests
« on: October 21, 2011, 03:12:08 am »

Is there still no ability to Volume level on sync. Pretty much every other player does that.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature requests
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:20:58 am »

Purlease.....a unified View Library so you only have to set up your views once and can then allocate them to whatever areas you want, i.e. client UI, DLNA, Theater View, Gizmo...

And...a UI for tablets/phones/handhelds (DLNA control point with built-in renderer) that is as slick as Theater View. I'm afraid the Web Remote/Play interface, while clever as a proof of concept, is horribly antiquated and looks and feels like a web site from the late 90s, and I feel therefore controller aspect of the "whole house" scenario has been neglected.  Not everyone wishes to sit at a PC or to have a PC in the living room and switch the TV on just control and listen to music.

And....separation of the server component from the client and maybe hopefully the server can then be ported to Linux for a NAS unit, which again would be more in keeping with networked whole-house scenario - a low power and quiet server for the while house, because unless you're using a HTPC for rendering or need video transcoding, then it's a real waste running a complete PC just to serve files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:23:01 am »

And...a UI for tablets/phones/handhelds (DLNA control point with built-in renderer) that is as slick as Theater View. I'm afraid the Web Remote/Play interface, while clever as a proof of concept, is horribly antiquated and looks and feels like a web site from the late 90s, and I feel therefore controller aspect of the "whole housbe" scenario has been neglected.  Not everyone wishes to sit at a PC or to have a PC in the living room and switch the TV on just control and listen to music.
Have you tried Gizmo?

csimon

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:31:32 am »

No - I have an iPad!  Bought it purely for UPnP control software, I'd been waiting for something like this for years, a hand-held browser at the comfort of my own living room chair of my complete music collection, orgnaised the way I want it, through which I could despatch music to anywhere I wanted. I'd previously been using Meedio and a beefy PC in the living room with a dual-output graphics card and a touchscreen monitor - but there were lots of wires involved, the monitor was too heavy, and Meedio wasn't completely geared up for touchscreen use and dual screens, and could only output to the graphics/sound card.

I use PlugPlayer on the iPad but development of that seems to have stifled too, it seems stuck at being a text-based browser and is too hung on the concept of having to select all the items you want to play and add them to a playlist before you start playing.  I don't understand why a DLNA browser should work any differently from a local media browser as far as the user experience is concerned. (You can toggle between that "playlist" mode and a "tap to play" mode but you have to exit the application and go into the Settings app to do that, and even then when you tap on a single item it adds the whole folder to the queue...   Also a few other annoying features like if a folder contains more than 30 items then it automatically sorts the items alphabetically and ignores the order they were returned in from the server.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:47:10 am »

Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab.  I like the 8.9 size.  Gizmo on it is exactly what you're looking for.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66666.0

This is a new third party plug-in:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67120.0

csimon

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:54:44 am »

It would be nice to be able to see what Gizmo can do before spending another £400-£500....  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63514.0

The third party app looks interesting - thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:40:00 am »

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:16:09 pm »

Purlease.....a unified View Library so you only have to set up your views once and can then allocate them to whatever areas you want, i.e. client UI, DLNA, Theater View, Gizmo...

And....separation of the server component from the client and maybe hopefully the server can then be ported to Linux for a NAS unit, which again would be more in keeping with networked whole-house scenario - a low power and quiet server for the while house, because unless you're using a HTPC for rendering or need video transcoding, then it's a real waste running a complete PC just to serve files.

Unified views shared amongst the modules in MC would be outstanding.  I don't want to create a view scheme, a Theater View and a Gizmo view to all show me the same things in basically the same way.

This has really kept me from bothering to create any of the views I really want, since I have to do it multiple times, then "fix" the things that didn't do exactly what I wanted, in multiple places, for several views; blah, not worth it :(

As for the library server being separated from the client side; this needs to be done some day, no way around it.

I'm hoping V17 is the time, but I suspect this might be held back for V18, I hope I'm wrong :)
pretend this is something funny

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 12:34:54 pm »

Have you tried Gizmo?
Gizmo is very nice, but it would be nice if it was a bit more flexible, It's limited to the "Native" commands, i think yo at least shold be able to add a custom command for anything that is a mcc-command (or several).

I also agree the server-part cold see a bit more work, I am just longing to run MC on a client-server model, but its a bit to limit still.

justsomeguy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »

I would love to be able to sync my android over wireless with MC17. Maybe just a small server app that runs on the android that MC connects to as a device.

Also still waiting on volume leveling during sync as well. Since no player I can find on android supports replaygain at the moment, which I can't understand.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 12:04:36 am »

The ability to hide/turn off/disbale play doctor.  I'd upgrade instantly!

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 02:27:47 am »

Hi,

For the moment I have just one request.

Is it possible to implement web browser integrated in Media center with a zoom function ?

For my part I would really appreciate bigger font and bigger pictures when I use media center web browser on my TV or my videoprojector screen. :)

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 02:59:06 am »

I also agree the server-part cold see a bit more work, I am just longing to run MC on a client-server model, but its a bit to limit still.

Absolutely agree: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66587.msg450456#msg450456

fabien44

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 03:48:02 am »

TV section -> MDAPI filter support in order to watch subscribed encrypted channels

This feature would open a wider market. It's the only missing feature for my use that i would not upgrade to MC17.

Is it possible in a next release?

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 06:14:39 am »

I would really appreciate bigger font and bigger pictures when I use media center web browser on my TV
+1  ;D

rktek

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 10:25:36 am »

Have access control work so each device connected to the server can have is own control over access to the server media, so different devices or locations can view different items.
Also if that is not possible, can access to access control screen be added to future gizmo update, and to devices that support keyboards.

Thanks.
Great work

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 11:28:46 am »

As previously requested ;D, Automatic Switch of Views Depending on the Media Type Playing.

In my scenario of mixed media type playlists, I would like MC to display Theater View Playing Now for audio tracks (I love the Online Media Slideshow) and to automatically switch to Display View for Music Videos.

I wonder if anyone else would be interested  ;)

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 06:39:42 am »

TV section -> MDAPI filter support in order to watch subscribed encrypted channels

This feature would open a wider market. It's the only missing feature for my use that i would not upgrade to MC17.

Is it possible in a next release?

This would really put MC17 ahead of the curve.

SBR

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:33:13 am »

Access to TV Guide and ability to schedule recordings via Gizmo.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 12:01:19 pm »

Any chance we will see some improvements to Artist Images in Theater View? It's a cool feature but could use some improvements, most notably the ability to use local images.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 02:00:06 pm »

Any chance of improving Memory Play.  More stored in memory...or even better decoded to wave to memory.

sunfire7

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »

I upgraded to MC17 today, hoping this can be added:

- When connected to a library server, option to "import" a song from the remote library to a local library, the selected file would be copied to a folder on the local machine and added to the local library.  A cool feature already in other products, MC cant be behind.

- More Flexibility with Red October, I Love it for movies but what if I want to play a file wich Red October can't play (eg. Karaoke files)?  I need to change to windows merit for those and go back to RO for movies, because some of my filters dont even work after RO appeared (not in white list?) so or I quit the movies or the karaoke files.  Maybe an option in File Types to avoid using RO with the selected extension.

- Build Cache in the background is great, but I find quite sad that only 3 options avalaible, a full encoder window as in handheld required.

- Teather View: More views dedicated for movies and Tv Shows, maybe a modded 3D Showroom specially for movies.

- iDevices Sync: apple is here to stay, so I hope we can make another try with those products, I dont mind sync trough itunes but make it easy and bug-free!, or native sync for jailbroken devices.

- If you have a view grouped by album artist and in one group you have different artist, the Artist Image should be from album artist instead of the covers of the albums
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:00 pm »

Complete whole Android/smartphone support.

Able to sync music, video, and pictures from multiple folders at once.

Pictures are in multiple folders in smart phones, should be able to select multiple folders to sync at the same time, not just one folder like with cameras.

Sync newly downloaded music from specific folders like "amazon purchases" or what ever MP3 service is used so i dont have to hunt down my new music and move it over to my computer.

All this should be done with the handheld device sync option. ALL my media in MULTIPLE folders that the user selects should sync with ONE button press. this is what is missing from the entire industry, and MC is one of the few companies that can make this work.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 02:28:11 pm »

I'd like to be able to perform more server tasks on a mc client.

- Explorer like: Most important for me would be to change file locations on server and delete files.
- Setup theater view or webremote: Define theater view from client.

I know, there are remote tools - but anyway it would be a great improvement to allow doing it from client!

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 03:29:59 pm »

I'd like to be able to perform more server tasks on a mc client.

- Explorer like: Most important for me would be to change file locations on server and delete files.
- Setup theater view or webremote: Define theater view from client.

I know, there are remote tools - but anyway it would be a great improvement to allow doing it from client!

+1; Opened a thread related to this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67229.0 ;D

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »

I'd really like the ability to turn on the Last.fm radio from Gizmo and route it to a zone. 

In general, anything you can do to make streaming audio work from inside MC (and Gizmo) and use MC's zones would be huge for me.  Spotify/Grooveshark/Rdio control would be awesome (doesn't have to be the free versions, I'll happily settle for the premium service if it allowed zone control).

I'd also love to be able to feed MC a real-time analog signal and have MC behave like a pre-amp, i.e. I'd like to plug my turntable in my computer and spin records (not just archive recordings).

Thx!

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:37:30 pm »

QAM channels....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 02:35:01 am »

I would like a "Playlist" entry in the theater view File Info Panel setup. When a playlist is selected in theater view, any notes associated with that playlist should then be visible on the right.

-marko

fabien44

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 02:51:13 am »

To be able to refresh smartplaylists in Theater View.

csimon

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 03:17:20 am »

I think we're up to MC23 already!

Two further things I've mentioned before:

1. DLNA Server: The ability to set an option on individual levels to skip that level and automatically drill-down if it only returns a single item. Maybe also an additional related checkbox to only automatically drill-down if the single item is blank, not if it has a value.

2. DLNA Server: On each level, add an option to remove the All Items entry.

I'm most concerned about DLNA Server but I guess these things might also be useful in Theater View.

The argument has been made before that some people find the All Items useful and not everyone would want to skip single items (indeed, there are some types of menu levels where I would find them useful), however the point is that having the option means that you can choose and it makes browsing of your media collection much more fluid and intuitive and a pleasure, which after all is what this is all about.

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:45 am »

Add support for the context menu when open a website inside MC and Chromium engine is used. Is frustrating not being able to do basic things.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 10:11:26 am »

I think this is mentioned, but I request a real subtitle support... It must include support at least .srt, .sub, PGS and vobsub subtitles. Configurable font and size+placement is must. Now I must use ffdshow to get subtitles shown like I want them to show (like mpc-hc, potplayer, not like powerdvd!). If you could do subtitle renderer better, I can use madVR to do decoding and dumb ffdshow...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 10:57:07 am »

For the most part, Media Center does way more than I could possibly learn - many things I'd like to understand better, but the resources are lacking and/or missing.  There are a couple of key areas I think MC should focus on:

1. Overhaul of the Theater View section.  To me this is the core interactive area of the entire application when its used as the central all media play/record/view/watch in a home theater set up. 
The standard view is more of the administration section, but I end up just using it for playback of audio when I'm sitting in front of the computer which is not in the same room with the HTPC/stereo/PC where I like to listen to music or watch video/TV.
Currently, it really cannot substitute as a "Media Center" application like Windows MC, with complete control of all media playback/view/record/watch with a MC remote control.

2. Change the client/server structure so a library/library server can operate on a home server or similar.  The concept of connecting to various libraries works fine so long as those PCs are on, but it seems like an excessively cumbersome solution - all my media is on a home server, so the library on my home office workstation is pointing to the WHS and I need to connect to this workstation from the HTPC to get the library content to the media room.  This is NOT designed with users in mind who want the MC features but don't want to spend a lot of time 'figuring it all out'.

Kevin

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 11:09:20 am »

Currently, it really cannot substitute as a "Media Center" application like Windows MC, with complete control of all media playback/view/record/watch with a MC remote control.
Are you using MC17 for this?  Please start a thread on what you think is missing.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 12:58:43 pm »

I think this is mentioned, but I request a real subtitle support... It must include support at least .srt, .sub, PGS and vobsub subtitles. Configurable font and size+placement is must. Now I must use ffdshow to get subtitles shown like I want them to show (like mpc-hc, potplayer, not like powerdvd!). If you could do subtitle renderer better, I can use madVR to do decoding and dumb ffdshow...

MC17 has a very good subtitle renderer, which seems to offer more than any other subtitle renderer I've experienced.  You should try it, I think it already does everything you just asked for.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 04:30:13 am »

MC17 has a very good subtitle renderer, which seems to offer more than any other subtitle renderer I've experienced.  You should try it, I think it already does everything you just asked for.
I hate the font and it doesn“t show my subs :( When rightclicking video and navigating to subtitles, I can see my .srt file, but when clicking it it doesn“t show:( And it is not selected when checking again...

But the main functions that are necessary to subtitle renderer are not here.... Font is terrible (I use alte haas grotesk) and thay are not bold and position is a little off...

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 10:12:15 am »

I'm sure that if you provide specifics and perhaps a sample of the offending file(s), Matt would be willing/able to fix these issues.  He just did some work on subtitles related to font size and position, so it may already be able to do what you want, but if not, specifics might just get it working to your needs.

Maybe you need to change the name of the subtitles for this to work?

16.0.132 (7/18/2011)

1. NEW: Added native support for embedded VOB subs.
2. NEW: Added support for any number of external SRT subtitle files (naming must be [Name]*.srt where * is an identifier (or empty); if .srt files are in a subfolder the folder name must be 'Sub', 'Subs', 'Subtitle' or 'Subtitles').

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 10:59:16 am »

I'm sure that if you provide specifics and perhaps a sample of the offending file(s), Matt would be willing/able to fix these issues.  He just did some work on subtitles related to font size and position, so it may already be able to do what you want, but if not, specifics might just get it working to your needs.

Maybe you need to change the name of the subtitles for this to work?

16.0.132 (7/18/2011)

1. NEW: Added native support for embedded VOB subs.
2. NEW: Added support for any number of external SRT subtitle files (naming must be [Name]*.srt where * is an identifier (or empty); if .srt files are in a subfolder the folder name must be 'Sub', 'Subs', 'Subtitle' or 'Subtitles').

You got me wrong :) I was complaining about the ugly font which cannot be changed... It seems to be too low quality compared to basic fonts in media players (arial etc.). It may be better if you can implement "bold"-option, so it looks more nicer on a big screen ;)

I didn“t do that subtitle folder, but it showed couple subs that I tried, but since I switched to ffdshow subtitle renderer, it somehow fails to load them??? Anyway, I am not using it before the font is better and bolder...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:33 am »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 11:07:11 am »

You got me wrong :) I was complaining about the ugly font which cannot be changed... It seems to be too low quality compared to basic fonts in media players (arial etc.). It may be better if you can implement "bold"-option, so it looks more nicer on a big screen ;)

For text-based subtitles, the font is the same as used for other text in the program.  It can be configured in Options > Tree & View > Font. 

Subtitle size can be configured globally in Options > Video > Subtitles or per file while playing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:14 am »

For text-based subtitles, the font is the same as used for other text in the program.  It can be configured in Options > Tree & View > Font.  

Subtitle size can be configured globally in Options > Video > Subtitles or per file while playing.
Oh, I feel really stupid now  :-[ So, I request then additional option to the subtitles section, which includes fonts ;D

EDIT: I get still very low quality subs (not anywhere as it shows couple post above). I tested using .srt file and Verdana. For comparison I take one ffdshow alte haas grotesk picture too...

Verdana is the ugly one :) I checked "bold" option, but it shows still the same??? What I am doing wrong again?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 12:27:22 pm »

The difference is caused by the choice of antialias, border, and shadow settings. These are not configurable in MC when the new internal subtile engine is in use. I agree that the quality and legibility are not optimal. I prefer the settings that FFDShow uses by default (those defaults were not chosen by chance).

I once posted a similar comparison on the closed beta board. Here are two cropped (but not scaled) versions of the images:

An external subtitle engine (either FFDShow or VSFilter, I am not sure which one anymore) with ROHQ on MC v.16.0.128:

The new internal subtitle engine (the subtitle size setting is 140% to make it approximately the same size as above and readable from distance), ROHQ, MC v.16.0.168:

The original 1920 x 1080 screenshots (click to enlarge):

External:

Internal, size 140%:

Internal, size 100%:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 01:09:45 pm »

Oh, I feel really stupid now  :-[

No problem.  I guess I was just trying to point out that specific requests for improvements are more likely to get you what you want than a general "it's not very good now, I'll use something else" comment.

The beginning of a new version is the best time to get your wish list considered.  If you need/want to provide more specifics about improvements you'd like to see, I bet you see some development geared towards them before V18 comes along next year.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 03:47:47 pm »

A coming build of v17 will support a user configurable subtitle font for text-based subtitles.  I also tuned the default font and bordering a bit.  Feedback welcome once the build is available.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 04:54:48 pm »

Anyone who is interested in this issue, could you please download the 1920x1080 screenshots and try them (e.g. in MC's full screen display view on a HD television screen). Which one do you prefer?

[ I was about to post this a couple of hours ago (i.e. before Matt's reply), but the forum went off-line. ]
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2011, 08:18:33 pm »

Which one do you prefer?

I prefer the top, external ones.  I think I would like them more without the drop shadow.  Like the oversized 140% style, but the external bolder font.  I'd have to see it, but I think I'd prefer that.  FWIW

sunfire7

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:38 pm »

A coming build of v17 will support a user configurable subtitle font for text-based subtitles.  I also tuned the default font and bordering a bit.  Feedback welcome once the build is available.
That's Excellent Matt!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2011, 01:41:52 am »

Some features I'd like to see:

Calculate dynamic range for tracks and albums as part of the standard audio analysis.  There's been work by the Pleasurize Music Foundation to come up with a standard calculation for dynamic range.  Would be nice to have MC follow along with that if possible.

More options for resampling settings.  This was mentioned in the MC16 forum.  Would be neat to be able to do something like if statements to determine the resampling rate.  If 44.1 or 176.4 then resample to 88.2.  If 48 or 196 then resample to 96.  But only if it can be done without making the UI or MC too complicated.

Color management.  I scan and edit cover images and am a bit fussy about image quality.  I embed an sRGB color profile when I edit an image.  That way the image will get color corrected and look correct on different computers (but only in apps that do color management).  All that careful work I do to get the color just right gets lost when I view the covers in MC.  :(  I know it is easier said than done.  Neither Chrome nor IE do color management.  Microsoft does not have color management religion when designing their APIs.  If it can be done in MC it would be nice and I'd be very happy.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 10:06:31 am »

I'd love to see Rhinobanga's Playing Now plugin get integrated into MC17.

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 10:24:31 am »

I'd love to see Rhinobanga's Playing Now plugin get integrated into MC17.

+1. It's great with Music Videos, you can play as if you had your own TV Channel  8).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up