INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decoding DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio  (Read 17843 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Decoding DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:56:51 pm »

Hi,

I'm playing back an .mkv file (Blu-ray rip) with DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio, but no matter what playback method I select, I only get 5.1 DTS (1536 kbps) in Stream Selection, even with Red October HQ. How do I play back the full bitrate audio? Do I need any additional codecs/components, or do I have to convert the DTS-HD MA to FLAC to get the full bitrate?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

CountryBumkin

Re: Decoding DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:45:49 pm »

This quote is from a jmone post - reply #27 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66714.0

MC supports the option to both decode on the PC at full bit rate and depth (default) or bitstream, though to enable this for DTS-HD you need to just need to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" from your Arcsoft TMT installation to any of the following folders so it can be used (eg where LAVAudio can find it):
- C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\lav , or
- C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16. or
- Windows\System32 folder for Windows 7 32-bit / Windows\SysWOW64 folder for Windows 7 64 bit

I hope this helps.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »

In case it helps, I put the same information here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:15:54 pm »

audunth, I sent you a PM.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:20:17 am »

I'm happy to read this thread. Despite using Windows 7 64-bit I'm quite sure I was initially told to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll"-file from TMT into the sys32 folder anyhow. I had then since speculated why a film like Baraka, sporting 24-bit/96kHz DTS HD sound, only showed 48kHz in my DAC display when being played back, and whether it meant I wasn't making full use of the DTS HD track(in 2 channels), both with regard to bit depth and sample rate. Also being that I had no way to check the actual bit depth during 2-channel playback, which still doesn't appear to be possible.  

Well, it now seems I wasn't making full use of the 2 channel DTS HD sound, not that I'm necessarily making the fullest use as is; yesterday, after reading this thread, I copied the dtsdecoderdll.dll-file into the sysWOW64 folder, and wouldn't you know it - my DAC now shows 96kHz with Baraka, and most importantly the sound now appears more distinctly and clearly presented :) Great.

The bottom section of the DSP, under 'source,' now also displays the right number of disc-native channels(be it 5.1(6 ch), 7.1(8 ch) or whatever) as well as seemingly correct bit depth, but whether it means I'm actually playing back in 24-bit(when natively offered) in 2 channels is not clear to me. I would guess though that 24-bit 2-ch. sound is enabled when the disc offers 24-bit.

However, my stream selection for DTS HD still only shows 1536 kbps, like it did before - shouldn't it be higher and vary, even with two channels? As far as I can tell the bit depth displayed in the upper pop-up display during playback is still not reliable/true - sometimes there's no bit depth information, and at other times it just shows 16-bit with DTS HD titles, despite the fact that a 24-bit title is playing. Some PCM and TrueHD titles on the other hand seems to be correctly displayed here.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:49:38 am »

The stream selection only shows the header information not the actual content.
JRiver CEO Elect

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 04:56:29 am »

The stream selection only shows the header information not the actual content.

Ok.

Is there any way to verify the actual Blu-ray bit depth being played back in 2 channels, or am I to rely on the information in the DSP bottom section under 'source' now that I seem to have copied the dtsdecoderdll.dll-file to the right folder?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:46:37 pm »

You have to look at the DSP info
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 09:09:20 am »

I copied dtsdecoderdll.dll from TMT 5 into the LAV directory under plugins. Looking at the Stream selection, it still says 6ch 1510 bps on the DTS-HD track, but in the DSP info in MC, it says 8ch under input when the DTS-HD is selected and 6ch when the DTS stream is selected. So I guess all is okay? The DTS core can't possibly be more than 7 channels (DTS ES 6.1), can it?

Unfortunately the DSP info doesn't show the bitrate, is there anywhere it can be shown in MC? Playing a file with RO shows an audio bitrate monitor among the filters, so where does that information go? Only into the total bitrate shown on the mouse OSD (the OSD on top of the screen that appears when moving the mouse)?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 10:37:58 am »

Who really cares about the bitrate?. If you get 8ch, you know its decoding the HD - and if it its DTS-HD MA its lossless, the bitrate is unimportant, because the result is just perfect. ;)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 01:01:38 pm »

I copied dtsdecoderdll.dll from TMT 5 into the LAV directory under plugins. Looking at the Stream selection, it still says 6ch 1510 bps on the DTS-HD track, but in the DSP info in MC, it says 8ch under input when the DTS-HD is selected and 6ch when the DTS stream is selected. So I guess all is okay? The DTS core can't possibly be more than 7 channels (DTS ES 6.1), can it?

Unfortunately the DSP info doesn't show the bitrate, is there anywhere it can be shown in MC? Playing a file with RO shows an audio bitrate monitor among the filters, so where does that information go? Only into the total bitrate shown on the mouse OSD (the OSD on top of the screen that appears when moving the mouse)?

Be careful where you put the dtsdecoderdll file - IIRC the LAV directory gets overwritten each time Red October downloads a new version of LAV audio.

audunth

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 11:04:38 am »

So sticking it in the plugins folder is better?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »

So sticking it in the plugins folder is better?

System folders: See CountryBumkin's first post - the bolded text in the quote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up