INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions regarding TV and Media Server  (Read 1151 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Questions regarding TV and Media Server
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:42:32 am »

With all the recent development of TV and DVR features in MC 17, I am shopping around for a TV tuner for my MC server.

I have a couple of questions:

-If a single tuner is installed on a computer running Media Server, can client computers watch live television streams from the server? Or are client computers currently limited to pre-recorded TV programs?

-Can client computers access the programming grid from Theater View?

-Can recording and deleting new TV programs be done from the Client computers?

The setup I have in mind is a single server with a TV tuner hooked up my cable line, then using client laptops around the house to watch live and pre-recorded programs; from a couple of recent posts it sounds like this has been done by other Interact members.

Thanks for your time.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
Re: Questions regarding TV and Media Server
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:41:24 am »

- You can't stream live TV right now, but I've been told it's planned.

- I assume you mean the TV guide when you say programming grid. I don't know, but this point doesn't really matter due to the first answer.

- You can supposedly record and delete programs from a client, but I haven't done it yet.

If you get HDHomeRun tuners, you mitigate the only limitation for this setup right now. The drawback is you have to set the tuners up on each individual machine. This will automatically solve the TV Guide issue because each computer will have its own after you set up the tuners properly.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Questions regarding TV and Media Server
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:04:03 pm »

The grid is shared between the server and the client, but as Greg mentioned, since you can't share tuners this only really helps if you have a tuner on each client or you use something like HD Homerun. 

You can schedule records from the grid on the client or the server.  You can delete recordings also, but there used  to be an issue deleting from a client.  I am not sure if that has been resolved or not.  We use the HD homerun tuner on our system and we serve TV to laptops.  It works great.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up