INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whole House Audio Distribution with MC integration  (Read 42871 times)

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
Whole House Audio Distribution with MC integration
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:04:37 am »

Hi,

I am looking into getting a NuVo multi-zone audio distribution system.
Does anyone have one of these setups and have any comments re good or bad solution or ease of use/integration for distributing audio from multiple MC zones.
I was considering the Essentia model which comes with the keypads that have 4 line LCD display and is apparently able to browse your media library over either NuVoNet or RS232.

Any comments appreciated

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Whole House Audio Distribution with MC integration
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:15:11 am »

I donīt have so many tips at the moment, but I am thinking about getting a similar setup myself, so I will be following the thread.

Mediahome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »

Interesting idea but it is going to be a $6000+ solution.  The Essentia 6 source/6 zone kit costs $2500 on the street.  To access network sources you will need to add a Nuvo Music Port Plus which costs $3500 on the street.  Add to that the the cost of your MC server.  The Music Port Plus is able to access "Windows Media Player on your computer" according to Nuvo.  If that means accessing Windows Media Player as a DLNA server then you should be able to access MC as a DLNA server.

Another approach would be take that MC server, add some DLNA renderers and some Android tablets running Gizmo as controllers and you would have a pretty easy to use system that has the potential to be of much higher audio quality, and it will cost far less.  Even if you deployed with Windows tablets to get Theater View as the UI and micro PC's with 24 bit USB DACS as your zone controllers you could implement it for less than $6000.

Matt

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 07:49:13 pm »

Thanks for the idea.

What my original thoughts were:

Notes: I have all of my media stored on HDD's local to the HTPC (no NAS)
          I use MC for ALL of my media needs. ie. Photos, Audio, Video, TV playback & Recording as it is so good at it.
          I have 2 x monitor zones (TV's with HDMI) with only one active at any one time (I can switch with my IR Remote) as my only Theatre View interface at the moment.

HTPC (which I already have) running JRMC17+
Add a multi-channel sound card (4-6 stereo outputs)
Connecting each of the sound card outputs to NuVo source inputs
Setup each sound card channel as separate MC zones
Play particular playlists or genres to those zones (including a TV channel for TV audio listening only, this is so I can listen to morning show news etc. while I am in the bathroom getting ready for work)
Use the NuVo Essentia as the multi-room amplifier to drive the zone speakers.  (in my mind a multi-channel amp seems a better idea than distributed zone amplifiers)
Use the NuVo Keypads to control volume & zone selection in each room
I believe that the NuVo does Zone grouping (linking in MC) if I want the same source in multiple zones

The thing I was most unsure of was if the smart keypads (LCD display) could display track info or control MC via the Essentia RS232 port connected to the Media Server via some command line programming or a plug-in.  (I notice there is a plug-in developed for the Russound system.)

I have an iPhone at the moment so am limited to the WebRemote/WebPlay option and therefore am waiting anxiously for the iPhone version of Gizmo.  If the plug-in thing above was not possible to implement then I could use WebRemote to control MC but that does seem like a waste of the NuVo keypad functionality.

I am not scared of a little programming challenge but just wanted to know what was possible before outlaying some dollars for hardware.

Thanks

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:17:07 pm »

Another idea I just had:

Buy a NuVo Simplese system (4 zones, but expandable) without keypads.  This would handle the zone speaker drivers.
Buy a few cheap Android phones (without sim cards) running gizmo for each room as the controllers.
    - this would solve the MC library browsing issue (no need to write a plug-in)
only problem is turning zones on/off & controlling volumes.  (If I am going to spend a reasonable amount of dollars, the system must be wife (non-technical)friendly ;))

just an idea!

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 12:34:40 am »

Naimnet
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:51:00 am »

Naimnet

Seems to be great for audiophiles (of which I am not)
It doesn't mention anything about DLNA so I don't think it can integrate with MC except for pulling the files directly from the HDD on the PC.
You have to have an amplifier in each room (which is what I am trying to get away from
and it also appears to be very expensive.

Thanks for the lead though.  I have never heard of them before.

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 01:54:23 pm »

Naimnet is certainly a UPNP system.  And yes expensive.  But Naim gear is gorgeous, hand built in England, and has a house sound like NO OTHER.

If you like the excitement of live music, check out Naim.  The also make some nice integrated amps as UPNP renderers.  $2500ish on the low end.

Worth every penny.  Or just go with the Naim DAC.  Best I have ever heard.

-p
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

berio

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:55:42 am »

There's some information about the NuVo Essentia here, for anyone contemplating a purchase:
http://www.ohmsandwattsservices.co.uk/kbase/kb_0003_nuvo_essentia.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up