INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New: Audio Path & "Direct Connection" details  (Read 24863 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
New: Audio Path & "Direct Connection" details
« on: December 03, 2011, 06:26:32 pm »

From the "POLL Audiophiles: Do you want a "Pure Direct" Mode?" thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67679.0 , MC have added a summary to the DSP so you can see if the details of your Audio Path and in particular if it is a "Direct Connection".

Here are two screen Shots showing summaries of various settings:
1) Audio Path: Direct -  For the Audiophiles that wanted a Direct Connection, you can see that the DSP Button is highlighted in Blue giving a visual confirmation that MC is just passing through the data and a summary of what is (not) being done
2) Audio Path - For the DSP'ers you can see a summary of the various changes that are being made from Input to Output.

So for those that wanted a "Audio Direct" option, how does this stack up and are you happy with the sound?
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
Re: New: Audio Path & "Direct Connection" details
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:45 pm »

Should it sound different? isn't it just a visual of what is happening in DSP?
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:19:20 pm »

I'm sure for many, it will sound different between the two examples I posted :)
JRiver CEO Elect

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:52:41 am »

Sounding different or not - I for one appreciate the overview of the signal path to confirm all my settings are registered.

Useful feature! Thanks!

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:29:37 am »

Perhaps I misunderstand how the lighting-up thing is supposed to work - I assume that the DSP button is supposed to be lit at times when the 'changes' information says, "no changes are being made", and unlit (i.e. gray) when the DSP system is changing anything (including volume, I would argue).

A great idea but I think it needs an obvious way of indicating "yes" or "no" on the front panel at all times - in effect, a bright, glowing "direct" indicator.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 12:51:49 pm »

I wonder how this function works. I have my Lynx card set up with ASIO. In DSP studio, ConvolverVST is checked and doing digital room correction. The filter is 32bit float.

MC reports:
Input: 44.1 kHz 16bit 2ch
Change: No changes are being made
Output: 44.1kHz 32bit 2ch

This does not add up, since i definitely are doing advanced processing, and also changing bit depth (Int16->32float).

Just wanted to let you know. It has no practical consequences for me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 02:56:35 pm »

Perhaps I misunderstand how the lighting-up thing is supposed to work - I assume that the DSP button is supposed to be lit at times when the 'changes' information says, "no changes are being made", and unlit (i.e. gray) when the DSP system is changing anything (including volume, I would argue).

A great idea but I think it needs an obvious way of indicating "yes" or "no" on the front panel at all times - in effect, a bright, glowing "direct" indicator.

I believe that is exactly how it works, except that it doesn't include volume.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 02:56:46 pm »

I wonder how this function works. I have my Lynx card set up with ASIO. In DSP studio, ConvolverVST is checked and doing digital room correction. The filter is 32bit float.

MC reports:
Input: 44.1 kHz 16bit 2ch
Change: No changes are being made
Output: 44.1kHz 32bit 2ch

This does not add up, since i definitely are doing advanced processing, and also changing bit depth (Int16->32float).

Just wanted to let you know. It has no practical consequences for me.

ASIO requests a 32bit float stream only, is impossible to send direct 16bit to ASIO.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 03:23:33 pm »

This is another great example how JRiver takes an unfocused customer suggestion and integrates into a most useful addition without mucking up the works.

I use MC to play my audiophile content, mostly 88.2 and 96khz 2 channel. This solution makes for a quick confirmation that everything is as it should be. I also find it very useful when I'm not using bit-perfect and still conveniently seeing clearly what is going on in my audio chain.

More than I was expecting, much cleaner, more informative, much appreciated...

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

This is another great example how JRiver takes an unfocused customer suggestion and integrates into a most useful addition without mucking up the works.

Couldn't agree more.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 03:28:43 pm »

I believe that is exactly how it works, except that it doesn't include volume.

Then something odd is going on, as the button never actually changes color here, except for a mild change of intensity when the mouse cursor is directly over it - and that happens regardless of whether the system is in direct mode or has DSP processing engaged.

EDIT - I have confirmed this is a skin related issue. It's a problem with the Blue Steel skin that I use - in fact, it appears to work only with the two "noire" skins at the moment, and within noire its operation is good.

I would still run the question though - ought a change of volume disqualify the signal from earning a big glowy button?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »

ASIO requests a 32bit float stream only, is impossible to send direct 16bit to ASIO.
I didn't know that, and that would explain the report. What is still unexplained is why my DSP plugin does not show up in the audio path info.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »

EDIT - I have confirmed this is a skin related issue. It's a problem with the Blue Steel skin that I use - in fact, it appears to work only with the two "noire" skins at the moment, and within noire its operation is good.

Ahh, yes.  Good point.  The glowy button is Noire only.  This was included in the build notes if you look carefully.

17.0.40 (11/21/2011)

5. Changed: Merged audio path and direct indication into DSP button of player window (DSP button will light up when playing direct with Noire skin).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 05:37:39 pm »

I would still run the question though - ought a change of volume disqualify the signal from earning a big glowy button?

It was discussed and decided no, I believe.  The reasons why this is a valid decision have been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere.

If you disagree, that's fine.  It isn't worth arguing about.  Just make sure you have set MC up so that the Volume control is not operable (which if you're a "believer" in this regard, then you should already have it set that way).  Or, of course, make sure it is set to 100%.  There is also a glowing volume slider visible on the screen whenever you'd be able to see the DSP button, so I don't see this as much of a hardship.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 05:48:37 pm »

Glynor gave a good answer about the volume.

Also, full information is available in the popup.  It will say "Direct" or "Direct (with adjusted volume)" next to the 'Audio Path' heading on the popup when appropriate.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

What is still unexplained is why my DSP plugin does not show up in the audio path info.

Double-check that it's enabled in DSP Studio.  When viewing the plugin in DSP Studio, it must say "Enabled and processing data" at the top of the display.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »

The glowy button is Noire only.  This was included in the build notes if you look carefully.

Obviously, I didn't look carefully enough!

Can the glowy button idea be extended to skins other than noire?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

Can the glowy button idea be extended to skins other than noire?

Probably.  I'd guess that they just didn't feel like making new art for and modifying all of the old skins.

Someone who understands the skinning engine better will have to comment, though.

Daydream

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 03:09:24 am »

Here's something whipped in 27 seconds

Save the above to Blue Steel skin folder. Then in the same folder for main.xml, PLAYERBAR block, add:

<Entry Name="DSPDirectButton" Bitmap="PlayerBar_DSPDirectButton.png" NumberImages="3" />

It'll light up then ->

Geez, if the audio community shouts loud enough, who knows, maybe indirectly we get more skinning features, right?! :P

Trumpetguy

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 03:49:04 am »

Double-check that it's enabled in DSP Studio.  When viewing the plugin in DSP Studio, it must say "Enabled and processing data" at the top of the display.

I can confirm that it is checked and displaying "Enabled and processing data". The proof of the puddig is that volume increases when I uncheck the plugin, and decreases when it is re-checked.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:11 am »

Here's something whipped in 27 seconds

Thanks for that - does the job!

What would I have to do to have the button in red when direct mode is in use (i.e. instead of your "lit up" condition), but back to blue when it isn't?

Daydream

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 04:47:26 am »

Thanks for that - does the job!

What would I have to do to have the button in red when direct mode is in use (i.e. instead of your "lit up" condition), but back to blue when it isn't?

It's all in the tri-state picture. You just have to color one or more of the 3 instances differently. In Photoshop or whatever can work with selections so you can isolate the 3 instances, and preserve the transparency in png.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 06:10:40 am »

Muchas gracias - works well.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37:10 am »

I can confirm that it is checked and displaying "Enabled and processing data". The proof of the puddig is that volume increases when I uncheck the plugin, and decreases when it is re-checked.

You're right.

In a coming build:
Fixed: Audio Path information could be incomplete with regards to DSP plugin processing state in certain cases.

Thanks for the help.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:37 pm »

You're right.

In a coming build:
Fixed: Audio Path information could be incomplete with regards to DSP plugin processing state in certain cases.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome  :)

Isn't it all those 'certain cases' that makes life worth living for programmers? The visionary work to identify any unthinkable combination of user settings....

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 05:29:22 pm »

I use a laptop client to connect to the main server using library server and playing on the server (There).  (Remember Jim in the kitchen doing the first demo.) The audio path is showing correctly on the server, but the client shows nothing. I can understand why,  but it would be nice to get this information passed back to the client.

spidir1

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 07:22:55 pm »

Hi,first of all I'm new user of MC, just installed the MC17 and I have doubts of the "direct connection", whatever settings I have I never get a direct connection. Input same as output, changes mention: "no changes are being made" but output says "not a direct connection", any explanation/help? Thks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 07:24:44 pm »

You have to use WASAPI exclusive or ASIO for a direct connection.  More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Pages: [1]   Go Up