INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver on Hydrogenaudio  (Read 3763 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
JRiver on Hydrogenaudio
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:13:55 am »

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: JRiver on Hydrogenaudio
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:48:46 am »

Apparently TOS #8 kicked in:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=92138

Back then in September I tried to warn you... :)

Perhaps this is the best outcome. The test seems to be seriously flawed and misleading. It would not be good for MC to be associated with that kind of stuff at HA.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:32:20 am »

I am once again reminded why I took HA and AH off my list of daily checks audio forums. It's peaceful yet still very informative and helpful here!

Rod

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:27:59 am »

I am once again reminded why I took HA and AH off my list of daily checks audio forums.

What is AH?

Bill

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:52 am »

What is AH?

Bill

Audioholics forum.

Rod

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:55:38 am »

Audioholics forum.

Thanks.  I have been there but haven't found much of interest.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:38:01 pm »

The moderator, Canar, had a slight change of heart and moved it back to General Audio:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=92138

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »

Hydrogenaudio is a strange place.  I'm an engineer and software geek and appreciate their approach and philosophy.  For analyzing the audible effects codecs their approach is the way to do things.  However for hardware or anything that interfaces with hardware their approach becomes unwieldy and nearly impossible.  Blind ABX testing of hardware if very difficult and is something that few people can do properly.  So any talk of audio hardware or even interfacing with the hardware becomes verboten.  How do you manage to discuss general audio without ever being able to mention hardware?  Even discussions of how software like MC interacts with hardware is verboten unless you can manage a blind ABX test of the configurations with different hardware.

I've used Hydrogenaudio as a resource and I've learned some things over there.  But I've never registered.  There's very little to nothing that I could possibly say or add to over there.  At the same time, Hydrogenaudio is also a refreshing change from the lunacy of some audiophile forums.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 06:46:24 pm »

Anyone mind if I cross link the hydrogenaudio thread with this one so that people there can read what's being said here?

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:57:47 pm »

I'm fine with linking to here.  I'm not sure what the Hydrogenaudio mods will think.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 08:35:47 pm »

Hydrogenaudio is a strange place.  I'm an engineer and software geek and appreciate their approach and philosophy.  For analyzing the audible effects codecs their approach is the way to do things.  However for hardware or anything that interfaces with hardware their approach becomes unwieldy and nearly impossible.  Blind ABX testing of hardware if very difficult and is something that few people can do properly.  So any talk of audio hardware or even interfacing with the hardware becomes verboten.  How do you manage to discuss general audio without ever being able to mention hardware?

I'm not sure what the Hydrogenaudio mods will think.

I agree that they can be a bit heavy handed over there.  I regularly lurk their forums, but never feel I'm qualified enough to comment on anything over there, so I never post.

On the other hand, I can absolutely appreciate their desire to keep their forums "clean" of nonsense.  It is their place, after all.  HA essentially stands for the idea of a scientific approach to high-end audio.  And, to have that, you have to have standards (just like any respectable scientific journal should).  And, there certainly is a slippery-slope danger.  We keep things pretty amazingly under control (and civil) here at Interact, but all you have to do is look around the web, or at a the occasional threads here, and you can see how these things can spiral quickly out of control.  Without a voice of moderation, the conversation can't go forward in many cases.

And, I can appreciate how they have a clearly defined set of rules and, most of the time, they do their best to enforce them with some manner of fairness.  Here at Interact, we have essentially no rules (other than "don't be a jerk") and we have the guiding hand of Jim.  There are fewer hard and fast rules, but that also can be much less repressive.  The fact that there aren't a bunch of TOS rules at Interact is probably why we are able to let everyone have their say.  Valuable input sometimes comes from ideas you might find "far out" (or unscientific) at first glance.  But, we need Jim to keep it from slipping into a hellhole of flamebaiting and trolling.

Different approaches for different places (and different goals).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 04:45:08 am »

Holy crap Batman. I just got shrinkage in my man area from reading that. Talk about feeling inferior...
Pages: [1]   Go Up