INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio won't stay on WAV Out  (Read 8568 times)

JIMV

• World Citizen
Audio won't stay on WAV Out
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:40:35 pm »

I have had a problem on the forum for a day without response. I cannot play music until I get a response...Please tell me how to get a human who can help???

Restatement of the problem...Every other time I close the program and restart, The audio output locks onto 'kernel streaming' and refuses to let me change to anything that works for me...How do I stop that???

I had this issue yesterday but the latest update kicked the program into working. Today it is back.

JIMV

• World Citizen
Re: How to contact a human???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »

The issue is very easy to describe...when the program boots up, instead of booting in audio output WAV as I set it, it comes up in kernel streaming and refuses to let me change it. The only files that play are MP3, all 1 of them. I am using windows seven and have your version 17 with the latest update...I only use the program for music, 16/44.1 or higher resolution.

How can I get the program to open the audio output button and then leave it where I set it? The DSP box also refuses to open in Kernel streaming.

Not being able to pick up the phone and talk to a human, even a 'Peggy' from India, is most annoying.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:31:03 pm »

To clarify, you have set audio output to Wave Out, but it will not save your selection?

Obvious question: Does your sound card support Wave Out? Why are you using such a legacy output mode?

Try updating your audio drivers.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »

Not exactly...The audio output button locks on kernel streaming and refuses any change. I had the same problem yesterday. I installed the latest update and the button functioned as normal. Today when I opened the program, the button is locked on kernel streaming again and none of my files except MP3 play...It worked fine yesterday and does not work today....I had the identical problem with version 16 which is why I upgraded to 17. Something either in windows 7 or Media Center is locking that button. I want to know how to stop this and prevent it.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:39:59 pm »

To clarify, my audio drivers are up to date.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio won't stay on WAV Out
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 02:00:26 pm »

Please read this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

And set your output to ASIO, or WASAPI, if possible.  WAV Out is not a good choice.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:59 pm »

I am sorry but the link takes me to a page that tells me to choose another output mode. The system is locked on Kernel streaming. I have no option of changing that...THAT is the problem. I go from being able to select my output desire to the program insisting I use kernel streaming...The DSP button below the audio output also refuses to open.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:28:38 pm »

When you select options>audio output>output mode, when the program is working correctly you get a drop down list of maybe half a dozen options. On my machine right now I get 1 choice - 'kernel streaming' - with a check by it. All the other options do not appear. I cannot change modes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »

When you say something is "locking that button", do you mean the Audio settings in MC?  Audio Output/Output Mode?

That's not normal.  I don't know what it is.  You should see something like the attached screenshot.

Try selecting a device in "Output Mode Settings", just below that option.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:59 pm »

Yes, the Audio settings in MC... I only have the software configured for music. I use other programs for video and photo's and have sound where expected there. The drop down menu in your screen shot simply does not appear. I get a one option menu "Kernel streaming" with a check in front of it. The "settings>DSP & Output format" also does not work.

I had this problem on this machine with version 16. I upgraded to 17 and the problem went away, until I closed and reopened the program yesterday when it locked on kernel streaming again. Your update to 17.0.46 arrived and was installed making the problem go away again until I tried to open it today and am locked on kernel streaming yet again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »

Try selecting a device in "Output Mode Settings", just below that option.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 03:28:09 pm »

Are any of your other media players active ? Do they have services started ? The general idea is that they occupy the sound devices.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 04:03:14 pm »

I am not sure I understand the question. The only program actually supposed to be making sound when I open Media Center is media center. Something I need to note. This PC is new. The old one that died did not have this problem with 16 installed. That was an XP machine. I am up to date on my windows updates.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 04:36:48 pm »

A screenshot might help. This is a very strange issue, one that has probably never occurred before, so it's hard to guess what it could be.

Under Options->Audio->Output Mode Settings, do you have the correct sound card chosen? Not an imaginary device or even a disabled or internal spdif connection?

What audio device are you using, and could you post the driver version?

Just by chance, are you using nVidia graphics, and if so, what driver version?

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:04 pm »

Good heavens, You assume a lot more computer savvy than I have. Under 'output mode settings' the block for device is blank. What should be there? The PC audio device is something called 'Conextant smart audio HD.'

And, as I noted...I have sound on video outside MC. I misspoke, I also do not have MP3 in MC.

A search of the computer does not reveal any results for nVidia so I figure I do not have it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 05:20:47 pm »

Go to Windows Control Panel, then Sounds to see what you can learn.  What sound devices are present?  Do they work in Control Panel/Sounds?

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 06:03:14 pm »

In control panel sounds the Conextant smart audio HD is listed...I get sound everywhere but in MC...If I can get out of Kernel streaming mode, I get sound in MC...I just cannot get out of that mode.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 06:12:38 pm »

In control panel sounds the Conextant smart audio HD is listed...I get sound everywhere but in MC...If I can get out of Kernel streaming mode, I get sound in MC...I just cannot get out of that mode.
I don't think it's a question of getting out of that mode.  It seems that the device is not completely available.  The suggestion to look at other software running is a good one.  Something else may have control.

Contacting the manufacturer of your PC would also be a good idea.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 06:20:16 pm »

From the main menu at the top of the MC menu, click on "Tools", then Options, then "Audio".

Now click on the down arrow beside "Output Mode:".  In the dropdown list, You should see a list of output modes.

I'd suggest that you try DirectSound first.  Once you get audio output working, then you can try WASAPI Event style output.

"Conextant smart audio HD" sounds like onboard sound for a laptop.  It probably does not have an ASIO driver.  I do not recommend using ASIO4All as a standalone for a real ASIO driver.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 06:39:29 pm »

From the main menu at the top of the MC menu, click on "Tools", then Options, then "Audio".

Now click on the down arrow beside "Output Mode:".  In the dropdown list, You should see a list of output modes.
If I understand correctly, he only sees "Kernel Streaming" and no other possible choices.  I think the sound device is not behaving.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 07:00:58 pm »

My guess is one of the outputs is throwing an exception when we load it.  This isn't a common problem, so I'm not sure why that might happen.

Perhaps a virus checker is interfering?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 07:42:48 pm »

If I understand correctly, he only sees "Kernel Streaming" and no other possible choices.  I think the sound device is not behaving.

THAT is the problem...There is no drop down menu.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 07:49:00 pm »

Matt, I am using Bitdefender...if that is the problem, why only in Windows 7??

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 08:04:45 pm »

JimV was not clear on how he tried to change from Kernel Streaming to a different output mode.

You and Bryanhoop directed JimV to the output mode settings dialog.  However, you change from KernelStreaming to a different output mode in the line above "output mode settings".

My suggestion served two purposes: it provided a way to get information about the problem.  And it might just solve the problem.

Bill

rick.ca

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 08:13:55 pm »

Matt, I am using Bitdefender...if that is the problem, why only in Windows 7??

Your problem is weird enough there's no good reason why anything might be the cause of it. But virus checkers often cause such problems, which is reason enough check if disabling it makes any difference.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »

One idea:

Right click the speaker icon in the tray. Select Playback devices. Double-click the active device. Go to the advanced tab. Uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". Restart MC.

If that doesn't work:

My guess is that this is a bad driver. It looks like this might be the newest one available:

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=3156758xml&sliceId=&dialogID=97962567&stateId=0%200%2097960428

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 09:05:51 pm »

I tried both with no result. I next uninstalled my virus program and rebooted and tried MC with no success. I then reloaded the virus program and tried again. I then tried to cleaning the registry and again no success....

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:13 pm »

I reloaded MC 17 and now have the program working properly....so, the question now is...will the program work tomorrow when I reboot it?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:45 am »

No, and it is working this morning after booting. Perhaps one of the score of things I did yesterday coupled with reloading  v17 fixed whatever was wrong...If it sticks, that will leave me with only one question...the random play feature seems to be limited to the album begun. In previous versions, the random play extended to all files of all types...ie, It would play a song from one album and then play a song from another.

Is not being able to do that normal to v17??

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 11:50:54 am »

I believe it will shuffle only what is in the current view when you begin playback.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 04:25:54 pm »

For the folk a JRiver...Today the program worked flawlessly UNTIL, I did a registry repair using software from RegClean Pro...then the problem reappeared. I reloaded v17 and all is well again. I suspect there is a fundamental conflict between the programs.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »

For the folk a JRiver...Today the program worked flawlessly UNTIL, I did a registry repair using software from RegClean Pro...then the problem reappeared. I reloaded v17 and all is well again. I suspect there is a fundamental conflict between the programs.

If other software edits our registry keys, you're going to get unexpected behavior.  There's really no way we could handle this nicely (except for not using the registry, which isn't reasonable).

You might report the problem to the makers of RegClean.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 04:44:27 pm »

I suspect RegClean would say there is a problem in your registry. As your product works without RegClean's help, I simply disabled their software. I note it for you because other folk might have the same symptom and disabling that software appears to be the fix. Something else to watch out for would be similar problems with MC from folk who are using other registry repair software...ie; that should be amongst the first questions asked when this sort of problem appears. Other folk suggested a virus protection software conflict but that was not the case here. (I removed the virus program completely from the PC and still had the audio output lock).

rick.ca

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:34 pm »

I note it for you because other folk might have the same symptom and disabling that software appears to be the fix.

So you've warned others by reporting that RegClean was the cause of your problem. There is "no fundamental conflict between the programs." You're experience suggests only RegClean made inappropriate changes to MC's registry entries. Even if there's something "unconventional" about those entries that causes RegClean to do so, the fault lies with RegClean. You might be able to help them resolve the problem by telling them what entries are being improperly removed.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 09:34:30 pm »

You assume I know far more about this process than I do...what I know it that v17 works from when installed until a registry sweep and repair is done using that software. Then MC freezes the audio output in Kernel streaming mode and will not work until reloaded.

The whys and hows are completely unknown to me.

rick.ca

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:51 pm »

You assume I know far more about this process than I do.

I wasn't assuming you knew enough to help RegClean solve the problem—that's why I said you might be able to help them. Otherwise, I'm only assuming you're able to discern possible causes from known effects. From what you've reported, it seems clear the program you're expecting to repair your registry is actually damaging it. That issue has nothing to do with MC. As I acknowledged before, it is useful your experience is documented—to help anyone who may have the same problem in the future. But there's nothing JRiver or anyone here can do about it. RegClean support might be able to fix the problem, or at least explain how you might use the program in a way that doesn't damage the MC entries. That would be even more helpful.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 10:16:34 pm »

The whys and hows are completely unknown to me.

...and this is precisely why you should not run such "cleaning" software. :-)

Seriously, this stuff is notorious for crippling software.  Software-specific registry entries are private; other software that devises to "fix" private entries is broken by design.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

I wasn't assuming you knew enough to help RegClean solve the problem—that's why I said you might be able to help them. Otherwise, I'm only assuming you're able to discern possible causes from known effects. From what you've reported, it seems clear the program you're expecting to repair your registry is actually damaging it. That issue has nothing to do with MC. As I acknowledged before, it is useful your experience is documented—to help anyone who may have the same problem in the future. But there's nothing JRiver or anyone here can do about it. RegClean support might be able to fix the problem, or at least explain how you might use the program in a way that doesn't damage the MC entries. That would be even more helpful.

I advised them of the problem. I agree the problem appears to be in their software BUT, MC needs know the problem is out there and how to resolve it if others have it.

rick.ca

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 10:38:03 pm »

I advised them of the problem.

Good. Please let us know how they respond. That information may help others in assessing whether they should be putting any trust in RegClean. I do tend to agree with MrC, but I prefer not to assume the makers of such software have evil intent. ;)

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 10:46:02 pm »

Evil is not the issue. No software company writes product to mess up other programs...it sometimes simply happens.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 06:06:43 am »

...and this is precisely why you should not run such "cleaning" software. :-)

Seriously, this stuff is notorious for crippling software.  Software-specific registry entries are private; other software that devises to "fix" private entries is broken by design.

Evil is not the issue. No software company writes product to mess up other programs...it sometimes simply happens.

Perhaps not evil, but the word scareware comes into mind.

In general, it is not recommended to use a registry cleaner without a very good reason to do so and without having a good understanding of how the "cleaner" works. I have never used one.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Fighting the scourge of scareware:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7645420.stm
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 03:35:32 pm »

Stop using registry cleaners and it will dramatically lower the percentage of problems and issues. If your computer is slow then get an SSD for the OS and a HDD for your storage. Also perform regular defrag runs using advanced defrag software. Don't defrag SSDs. It wouln't hurt to do a "Check Disk" every once and awhile.
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003
Pages: [1]   Go Up