INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with the "Playing files from memory" option  (Read 3471 times)

satbox

• Recent member
Issue with the "Playing files from memory" option
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:30:40 am »

Hello,

I use JRiver 17.0.46 with the following audio parameters:
-Output mode: WASAPI - Event style
-Prebuffering: 20 seconds
-Play files from memory instead of disk

Playback computer running Win7 64 with 4GB memory
Files are stored on a NAS

When I try to play files from memory (24bit-96kHz FLAC with a size < 256MB), JRiver displays the message "Buffering...", then, when buffering is done (100%), it starts to play the file but 5-6sec later, it restart the buffering process and then plays the file until the end.

It seems that it execute the buffering process twice ? Please, can you help me?

Thank you!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Issue with the "Playing files from memory" option
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:38:23 am »

I would just turn off playing from memory.  There's no reason to use lumpy I/O instead of smooth I/O with a NAS.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

satbox

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:44:37 am »

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by "There's no reason to use lumpy I/O instead of smooth I/O with a NAS"? I don't understand...

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:06:19 pm »

From my experience memory playback works great with either internal HD or external HD connected via USB/Firewire. I tried using memory playback on my NAS and it was a no go. I would just do what Matt recommands and disable memory playback and let the streaming process do its job by feeding data in a controled manner. I myself use a external 3TB USB 3 HD for my music file storage and utilize the memory playback function with Great success!

Vincent Kars

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 04:44:21 am »

Memory playback is about loading the song in memory so no access to the local HD during playback.
If you play from a NAS there is no access from the local HD by JRiver as all data fetched from the NAS is already stored in memory.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:00:33 pm »

So is this set up NAS or should memory play back be used:

MC running on PC 1 local, MC file store is a shared drive on PC2.

Thanks

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »

Same as using a NAS (file sharing)

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:14:54 pm »

Thanks very much....another change to make.

Let's get more controversial :)   If a track is being played from memory, do limiting resources and jobs running on the PC really matter?  I've tried some of this (like Fidelizer, using MC as a server) and at first I thought a noticeable improvement....now not so sure.

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:43:36 pm »

I would just turn off playing from memory.  There's no reason to use lumpy I/O instead of smooth I/O with a NAS.

Matt - if you happen to see this message, I have a follow up query for you.

I have a Mac Mini with 16Gbs of memory using the most current version of MC on the Mac along with a Synology 1812+ NAS which stores all my music files and is presented to my mac as a network volume.

I had previously had memory play enabled in MC but have disabled it based on your recommendation. However if possible, could you explain the difference between lumpy and smooth I/O because it is not quite clear to me why having memory play disabled is a better option when reading from a NAS.

Thanks.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s
Pages: [1]   Go Up