INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver on Avforums discussion  (Read 13556 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
JRiver on Avforums discussion
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:05:30 am »

I just chimed in on the discussion at AVForums:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1569777-jriver-media-player-ultimate.html

I'm sure it will degenerate into a playground 'mine is better than yours', but may be worth keeping an eye on it to make sure it maintains balance!

SBR

lbstyling

• Recent member
Re: JRiver on Avforums discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:02:44 am »

that was me ;D

I fully accept someones going to have a real go at me. But from my prospective its all true. All you hear is mediaportal this and xbmc that, they dont seam to be aware of JRiver as a serious alternative (and a better one with that!) by the end of this, they will.

You guys are years ahead at this point, but the problem is that people dont spend the time investigating lesser known alternatives, regardless of how good they are, because its a complicated subject.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:08:20 am »

Thanks for your posts, both of you!

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:41:06 am »

Why draw the comparison between XBMC/MP and JRiver though?

To me they are completely different products addressing completely different market niches. And, has been pointed out on the thread, the first two are free - JRiver isn't.

It's horses for courses. There are many things MediaPortal (my HTPC software of choice) can do that JRiver can't, and a few things that JRiver is better at which is why I keep upgrading every year. You say JRiver is "years ahead", in many respects (for me) it's years behind in many areas where MediaPortal excels. That's fine... I can like both for different reasons.

I think you're wrong to attack other people's choices of software, especially since the two targets of your ire are open source.

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »

I think you're wrong to attack other people's choices of software, especially since the two targets of your ire are open source.

Im really not being serious!

I called them communists for goodness sake! ;D

There both great programs, for there purposes. Im just saying in a war between the media players or the world, where (in highlander voice) 'there can be only one' JRiver is seriously underrated and overlooked too much!

If your needs were to actually use a media player as a theatre- you would only use JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 05:19:43 pm »

That thread reminds me of one at AVSForum a while back:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1351742

It started out a little rocky, but then brought in a lot of new users.

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:00 pm »

As mentioned before, Im really not being serious- I kind of give it away in the first reply i give. People need to have there cages rattled to look around once in a while, thats all. ;D

it will be fine.

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 03:17:52 am »

Im really not being serious!

I called them communists for goodness sake! ;D

Yeah I saw that. Crazy.  ::) I'm a communist btw.

There both great programs, for there purposes. Im just saying in a war between the media players or the world, where (in highlander voice) 'there can be only one' JRiver is seriously underrated and overlooked too much!

If your needs were to actually use a media player as a theatre- you would only use JRiver.

Okay, firstly there is no war.

Secondly, you're comparing HTPC software to a media player. Apples and oranges.

Thirdly, JRiver will never be as popular as the other two programs you mention simply because JRiver costs money and the others are free.

I think you should just be happy with your choices, and not try to convert others. Especially since you appear to be having entirely the opposite effect!  :-\

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:28:48 am »

I disagree, I donīt find it to be apples and oranges at all. In fact the only reason i see for not using MC for the things XBMC and MP does is that MC does a worse job at it in some respects.  MC should works as HTPC-software as well.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:48:37 am »

I'm sure it will degenerate into a playground 'mine is better than yours', but may be worth keeping an eye on it to make sure it maintains balance!

Hmmm...... as predicted - it has degenerated into a bit of playground sniping. :(

SBR

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 06:31:12 am »

I split the discussion about Full Blown HTPC Software.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:48:17 am »

I'm not sure why did you brought it over to our attention then.
If you see someone walk into the lion's den do you walk away or call for help?!

Posting such a provocative titled thread in a forum where the only 'sticky' thread related to software is about XBMC is about as silly as walking into the lion's den carrying an armful of raw steak!

I thought a bit of considered opinion from other users would be more helpful rather than the tit for tat rant that it degenerated into. A similar, more moderate, thread on avsforum has generated much useful discussion. It is unfortunate that this thread on avforums has been a bit of a bloodbath.

SBR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

If you see someone walk into the lion's den do you walk away or call for help?!

Option three?  Popcorn.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 09:36:31 am »

Option three?  Popcorn.

LOL. Very true.

There lies the voice of experience!

SBR

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 10:21:48 am »

Thirdly, JRiver will never be as popular as the other two programs you mention simply because JRiver costs money and the others are free.

Which is a bit of a nonsensical view because if you're using a HTPC and are concerned about features like tuners and DVR capabilities you are going to be paying more than $50 per month and possibly more than $100 per month for cable TV service.  As well as buying/renting movies and other shows.  Paying $50 for software becomes just an incidental expense swamped by the yearly cost of the cable TV.  $50 for software shouldn't be a big deal for most people unless you're eating Ramen in order to afford the cable TV.  Yet people want free no matter what.  I understand why that is.  I also find it to be short sighted and nonsensical to dismiss commercial software just because there's free software that does something similar.

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 10:51:05 am »

Why is it nonsensical? You even answer the reasoning yourself.  :P

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 11:01:21 am »

To put the cost issue into perspective, I have owned MC since at least v12, and have paid for every upgrade, usually at the initial discounted price for early adopters.  I think my total investment averages about $1.25/month.

That's less than the 1 bag of popcorn I enjoy while watching the lions attack ;)

That's 1/3the price of renting on movie.

That's less than 1/4 a cup of Starbucks.

JimH - "earmuffs buddy" - it's too cheap for the benefits it gives me!

Free is nice, but in many things "you get what you pay for", and in this case, I feel I get even more than what I pay for.
pretend this is something funny

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:22 am »

Indeed JustinChase.

I think your view will be echoed by most people on here. Everyone wants to defend their purchase and their favourite software.

However, the number of people on this forum is dwarfed by the numbers on the MP and XBMC forums, so the view here will not be shared by the vast majority of potential users out there in the Big Wide World.

It doesn't cost a great deal when you break it down. But it still costs something - and that is a deal-breaker for many people. Especially when MC doesn't offer the same extensibility, skinability, or just downright "bling" of the dedicated free HTPC offerings.

Horses for courses... but I stand by my original statement that MC will never be as popular as the free options because it costs money.

Popular != better, after all, Justin Bieber is popular...

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 11:29:48 am »

I don't disagree.  However, it's been made pretty obvious in that thread that many of the XMBC or MP users don't really know what JRiver offers, or how it can be made comparable/better to many things their free software does.  Their unwillingness to dig deeper is not helped by the unimpressive JRiver sales portal/website and the $50 up front cost; based on MANY comments I've read on MANY forums.

If they could understand better the potential, and the low ongoing cost, I think MANY of them would defect.

I don't claim that means JRiver will be bigger than the free options, only that the obsticles aren't just the money, but more so the inability to see the potential enjoyment their investment can bring them.

I doubt many of the "I'll never spend $50" posters really mean "never", but instead mean, "I've not seen any compelling reason to spend $50, and have no interest in spening my time to dig deeper to discover those reasons, since I have 'good enough' now for free."

If they could "purchase" for $2/month, for example, they might be willing to spend some more time and effort, resulting in a "customer for life."

As we all know, it takes some dedication to really "get it" about how great/useful/powerful MC is.

It's got many shortcomings, specifically related to TV and metadata and 10 ft UI 'prettiness', but it's usefulness and quality cannot honestly be questioned, once you "get it."

Anyway, I feel like I'm arguing, which is not what I'm trying to do, I think we pretty much agree.  I'm really just kinda bored a work today :)

Castius

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 12:05:12 pm »

As a recent newcomer to JMC. and someone that swears by freeware/opensource.
I can tell you it was very difficult to pony up the measly $50.

There is this standard feeling that when you "buy" software. You kind of stuck with what ever you get.
And if you ever want things fixed or improved. You will most likely have to pay more.
With freeware there is a combination hay it was free plus i can always look for a plugin to solve my problem.
It falls in line with the DIY (Do it yourself) mentality. Media/audiofiles are that type of people.

However a little time on this forum and seeing the changes done by the JRiver team. I saw a very different story here.
I tried version 16 and was impressed but didn't buy it. Then i tried version 17 and saw how much work this team is willing to put into there software.
After that is was a no brainier. Even if i never use your software.
i would have been OK with giving the money as a donation for the clear hard work and dedication of this team has.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »

... I tried version 17 and saw how much work this team is willing to put into there software.
After that is was a no brainier. Even if i never use your software.
i would have been OK with giving the money as a donation for the clear hard work and dedication of this team has.
That's a very nice thing to say.  Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »

Complete_Outsider

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 02:45:03 am »

I hope no one minds me jumping in as a "complete outsider" to give you my spin on things. I have been watching the thread on AVForums and on this forum and I think there are a couple of important factor that is missing from the discussion.

1) I think that one massive factor in the uptake in the software is the community of an Open Source solution. So with XBMC and MP, everyone knows that no-one is charging for the product (not wanting to get into a discussion about how profitable JRiver is, I am sure running JRiver is a challenging business). Because of this community, people get involved and help out because they want a successful "product" for everyone to enjoy, and there is no question of people not helping out (for example, spending countless hours developing a snazzy website) because this effort is not going to line the pocket of another person with profit. I am not saying the JRiver doesn't have a community, but these platforms have tens, if not hundreds of people developing the product and marketing it (and they are run in a very businesslike and efficient way), but no profitable business could compete at this level.

2) I have bought countless HTPC solutions over the years, and seem them go dead and unsupported when the manufacturer did not want to spend any more money on it (Pinnacle Showcenter is an excellent example). Clearly JRiver is being actively supported, but what happens if it suddenly becomes loss making, or someone starts legal action against them and they close? All that purchase cost and upgrade costs are lost forever and no-one can pick up the work and continue it for the community. The irony is, that I have donated loads more than $50 to my chosen software, but based upon them reaching a functional/performance milestone where I personally felt it was worth it.

3) People spend a large amount of time working out which is the best solution for them and when they have picked that solution they then spend time tweaking and fiddling to get it perfect. The HTPC bunch are a very picky crowd and like what they like (for example, for most people a system that won't automatically download movie fanart and display it as coverflow would never ever be considered, let alone tried). Changing HTPC software for most has to be driven by an essential requirement that they can not get from their current system (or if they are hacked off with the performance/stability of their current system). It is a big step to change and the user is turning their back on hours of invested time and tweaking, probably taking more thought than moving house (or changing girlfriend)  ;D and will never be prompted by a non-sensical argument or slating of their chosen software (akin to calling their current girlfriend/wife a minger).

Hopefully, if your community takes part in the initiative by the AVForums community to create a list of software capabilities, JRiver may be picked early on by newcomers to the HTPC game. Once you have them hooked, they probably won't leave.

Complete_Outsider

Frobozz

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 06:32:00 am »

Why is it nonsensical? You even answer the reasoning yourself.  :P

"Nonsensical" isn't really the right word.  The idea of not even considering MC because it costs $50 makes no sense to me.  If you're playing around with audio gear or AV gear, $50 for software shouldn't be a deal killer.  It really shouldn't be.  Audio gear and AV gear costs money.  Cable TV or satellite TV costs money.  Music and movies to play on your gear costs money (you folks with AV gear are buying your music and movies you're watching aren't you?).  It shouldn't be a big deal to consider $50 for software that might make it all work better, look better, or sound better.

However, I know the realities.  People like free.  Especially for digital non-physical things like music, movies and software.  Software isn't worth money to some people.  Same with the music and movies they're watching on their gear.

I also hang out at the Steve Hoffman forums.  It's full of music collectors.  With an active section on audio gear.  The folks there buy music.  Some have expensive audio gear, others less expensive gear.  Lots of vinyl fans there too.  I see more use of commercial software like MC and dBpoweramp there than I do on many other audio gear forums.  They don't seem to be averse to paying for commercial software.  They also pay for their music.  Other audio sites that focus primarily just on gear are all Foobar and EAC and CUE sheets and freeware.  Hmmm...

flac.rules

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 07:52:16 am »

I dont think its that strange, a huge amount of the best AV-related software is in fact free. I dont think the money itself is the problem, but why pay if you have the impression you can get a similar or better program for free?

Frobozz

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:19 am »

I dont think its that strange, a huge amount of the best AV-related software is in fact free. I dont think the money itself is the problem, but why pay if you have the impression you can get a similar or better program for free?

Free software is fine.  What doesn't make sense to me is folks in the other forum refusing to even consider something like MC just because it is $50.  They'll never know that MC has great audio features and other neat things because they won't even consider looking at it.  It's only $50 which is a pittance in the grand scheme of audio or AV gear and accessories and media costs.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 09:03:42 am »

This is an amazing paragraph by Gransomethingorother...

"But the second you've brought a $50 charge into it has made me loose interest immediatley. JRiver could jump out the screen, give me a hair cut and cook me dinner, I still wouldnt pay for it. I would rather support all the people that contribute to these open source solutions and have spent years making improvements and getting things right, that a commercial business that have made something for a quick buck- but just like most things will never be the market leader in anything and will never be able to do everything you want it to."

Presumably when he says that he supports open source he actually means something other than he just uses open source software.  Does that support run more or less than $25 a year?  And I love the damning of the product just because it is a commercial business.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 09:34:19 am »

I can only assume he runs Linux, since Windows 7 is $100+ to purchase

But then that would mean Windows 7 can never be better than Linux because they are a commercial product.

The internets are a funny place :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00:15 am »

For what it's worth, I'm grateful there are people willing to support JRiver.

I hope that you feel like you get a great program and hard work from us in return for that support.

(p.s. I guess we'll scratch our plans to add a hair-cutting feature)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 10:07:34 am »

(p.s. I guess we'll scratch our plans to add a hair-cutting feature)

Was it in the plans for a comeback?!?! :) :)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=11806.msg76372#msg76372

brureid

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »

Nooo. don't scrap the "hair cutter".. I was Banking on that one!!!   ;D

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »

Well, maybe its time JRiver showed its cards a little ;D

Robbo100 has started compiling a comparrison chart.=

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AjZAlU_5jl79dER5aE82MWkyTlRCNkxnX2tBQmlPMGc&output=html

The doc looks written from the perspective of reading the features list of MP, which is fine as Robbo is mostly familiar with that software, but JRiver is largly comparable as far as I can tell.

- its up to us to list JRiver features (assuming the development team are ok with this??)

I dont know all the answers, and it would take some time to investigate them all so I propose that you guys help?? To make it easy- if you know the answer to if JRiver does somthing or not, You could post it here, and I will compile the info to give to Robbo.

I Dont know many of the answers at the bottom, but if robbo grants me access to edit the page, Ill fill in what I know and you can answer any info needed for the gaps?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »

I hope no one minds me jumping in as a "complete outsider" to give you my spin on things. I have been watching the thread on AVForums and on this forum and I think there are a couple of important factor that is missing from the discussion.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for stopping by and posting your thoughts.

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 06:14:53 pm »

Hi,
Update on the spreadsheet data-

Ive sent all the data I know, so you guys will need to check if there is any mistakes on there. Im also clueless on 2 sections-

1) Live TV and
2)other features.

Ive researched the rest and ive got most of it ( I think!)

Heres the data I sent-

latest stable version-

10ft UI
YES

10ft configuration UI
LIMITED

Dual displays-
YES
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64997.0

Touchscreen Support-
YES
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68548.0

VFD/LCD support
YES -VPI
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63181.0

Changable Skins
YES

Automatic Display Refresh Changer
?

Native support for MCE remote
YES- (JRiver also sells a JRiver specific one)

Support for non MCE remote
YES

IR blasting?
YES

MKV...etc (file formats)
YES-all

DTSHD audio via HDMI
YES

dolby true hd via hdmi
YES

Video database
YES

Automatic thumbnail generation
YES

TV series Datebase
YES

Display of fanart and TV series info
YES

Automatic TV series fanart grabbing
?

automatic TV series info grabbing
?

Online videos
YES (via browser)

Movie Database
YES

Display of fanart and Movie info
YES

Automatic Movie fanart grabbing
-1 click per video

Automatic movie information grabbing
-1 click per video

DVD playback
YES

DVD iso playback
YES

Bluray playback
YES

SUPPORTED AUDIO fORMATS
YES(ALL)

MUSIC FUNCTIONS
YES (ALL)

MUSIC VISUALISATIONS
YES

LIVE TV
? (ALL)

Photos
YES (all)

OTHER FEATURES
? (ALL)- BAR WEATHER AND RSS FEEDS- YES

POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL FEATURES
infinately selectable audio sample rate input/output
YES

hd audio analogue out
YES

LPCM and bitsteram hd audio out
YES

Active speaker crossover
YES

Speaker Distance correction
YES

Lipsync
YES

Independant speaker calibration
YES

User configurable file priority system
YES

Audio format assignable processing
YES

Frobozz

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 06:28:09 pm »

Well, maybe its time JRiver showed its cards a little ;D

Robbo100 has started compiling a comparrison chart.=

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AjZAlU_5jl79dER5aE82MWkyTlRCNkxnX2tBQmlPMGc&output=html

They should add some additional music functions.  Like ASIO support, gapless playback support, ALAC support, VST plug-in support, etc.

Grape Ape

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 10:52:09 pm »

I have purchased MC since version 10. Obviously, I like it. I also have Plex installed. It's base is XBMC. I use Plex almost every day, because I like it better. I use MC to manage my library, and I used to use Theatre View all the time. Not everyone likes to be able to dig into every crevasse of their software program, which you are able to do in MC. Some like 1, some like an another. Why people get so bent out of shape over another persons preference is baffling to me. 

Frobozz

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 03:04:53 am »

I'm not bothered that people choose to use other software than MC for either audio or HTPC duties.  I'm not a rabid fanboy that sees MC as the only one true way.  There's other good software out there.  I play with other software as well.  I'm just a bit puzzled that people would completely dismiss MC from consideration just because it isn't free, even though it is what I consider affordable for what it does. 

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »

Ok guys,
the data has been updated,
can you fill in any missing info??

Oh, and whats the maximum number of speaker outputs JRiver can handle? + can it eq all of them?

Thanks.

Frobozz- points relayed to info compiler!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »

Wow!  That's quite a list.  Thanks for helping with it.

There are a few more you could answer yes.  I'll try to put a list together tomorrow.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »

some more info...
Automatic Display Refresh Changer (helps minimise video stuttering)
= Yes
ADD ITEM => VideoClock = Yes = Replacement for ReClock
Automatic TV Series Fanart Grabbing (e.g. from The TVDB) = Yes or Manual.  I think in the context of that comparison, it's Manual (vs automatic), but MC does grab fanart/images/stuff from some sources, like Google automatically for display in Theater View, so maybe a yes.
Automatic TV Series Information Grabbing (e.g. from The TVDB) = Manual (to me "No" means it can't be done, even though the 'item says Automatic, I think it's important to know it's possible)
BluRay Playback => XMBC shows Yes*, which I assume also means with Any-DVD or other, just like all the rest.  they should read the same if they really are the same, IMO
ADD ITEM => in "Video Functions" and probably "Movie Functions" => Fully Automatic configuration of DirectShow filters, using LAV Filters and madVR, and also ability to fully control DS filters separately if desired.
Commercial skipping on recorded TV => Yes (via comskip) assuming that means "reads comskip edl file"
Schedule Multiple Recordings (Daily at this time / weekly / weekends) => Yes
Series Link Function Not sure what this means, so ??
Automatic Thumbnail Generation = Yes
Multi-room syncronised media playback = Yes, unlimited zones, synchronized or not, your choice
Ability to use non-native players (eg MPC-HC, Zoom, TMT, PowerDVD etc) = Yes, but unnecessary.
External application launch support = Yes (I think)

Probably much more, but that's the quick review list I have :)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 06:21:17 pm »

Also, I thought I'd read that someone had 3D mkv rips working with MC, but I could be mistaken about that.  If so, that could be a yes also.

Also, although not quite a "setup guide" the wiki is here => http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

also,    Operating Systems is wrong, MC is windows only

Latest Unstable (development Version) should maybe read, updated approximately weekly, maybe with a link to the board to download the current Beta

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 06:26:50 pm »

Thanks for your help, JustinChase.  3D isn't working in MC yet.

Windows only is correct.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 06:44:14 pm »

You're welcome :)

I bet there are at least a dozen features that MC has that are not on that list.  I think they could/should be added, to help show the potential/differentiation of MC over the other options.  I think the list was started by a user of XMBC or MP, so they are all green.  If the extras of MC get added, it will help show the value in the "pay software".

I'd guess Alex' list of changes would be a good place to go digging, but I'm about to go watch some TV, so I won't get to it any time soon, sorry.  I added all I could easily think of already :P

The native Convolver engine would be a big one, but maybe after Matt confirms the math and quashes a couple of bugs; but soon I imagine.

I will say that I wish I had seen something like this table for many of the software purchases I've made (or didn't make), it's impressive :)

Gizmo, WebGizmo, handheld caching and syncing, including to iProducts, real-time on-the-fly video streaming to Gizmo, maybe a way to show it handles ALL audio and video codecs/file types, internal precision of all processing, multiple audio and video zones, etc

I guess there was more rattling around up there in my head :) :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »

I bet there are at least a dozen features that MC has that are not on that list.  I think they could/should be added, to help show the potential/differentiation of MC over the other options. 
I thought the same when I saw the audio formats supported.  Here's a list that we haven't updated in a few years:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Formats

There should probably be a line that says "Other Audio Formats" and lists them.

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44:34 am »

updates forwarded,
Thanks people!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »

I see someone added Movies => Trailers

What is that supposed to mean?  MC can view any trailers on the computer or can display them from the web, but I'm not sure exactly what that "feature" actually is, so it's hard to know if MC gets a yes there or not.

I don't know who's actually maintaining that list, or if they might have some agenda, but adding vague items to "pad the stats" of one player is a slippery slope.  I'm not saying it's intentional, or even if that's what's happening; just that there may need to be some "standards" put in place if that list is to remain a useful/fair compairsion, and I hope it is.

Also, DVD ripping was added, MC gets a Yes here also.

Another thing "Skype Video Calls" is a no across the board, maybe it should just be removed, since no one offers it.

Still, an interesing list :)

Daydream

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 02:45:37 pm »

I see someone added Movies => Trailers

What is that supposed to mean?  MC can view any trailers on the computer or can display them from the web, but I'm not sure exactly what that "feature" actually is, so it's hard to know if MC gets a yes there or not.

The trailer should be associated with the movie, not a standalone video. In XBMC land the trailer is a "property" of the movie (have/have not). The nfo that holds the metadata for the movie (sidecard equivalent for MC) has one entry for this. If it does have it (either online or local link), when activating it, a part of the metadata screen - so to speak - flips over and the trailer plays on that space. Pressing tab makes it full screen.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2012, 05:14:11 pm »

that was me ;D

When you said: Can you set it to select the audio stream you prefer for the media type your listening or watching automatically- for instance, all lossless audio is left native, but any mp3 192k files are upscaled to 64 bit.

how do you do this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »

When you said: Can you set it to select the audio stream you prefer for the media type your listening or watching automatically- for instance, all lossless audio is left native, but any mp3 192k files are upscaled to 64 bit.

how do you do this?
I think he meant bitdepth, which you can set in DSP Studio/Output Settings.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 05:31:36 pm »

cool, mine has to be set to 24bit in the dsp studio to playback flac/aiff/alac music into my USB DAC

if i have 'output format' deselected in dsp studio i can only play mp3's
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up