INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG? : Duplicate Images from Camera  (Read 2533 times)

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
BUG? : Duplicate Images from Camera
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:16:20 pm »

The Camera Import (Acquire Images) is consistently adding duplicates to my library.  The 'skip file if already in library' box is checked, but has no effect.  Without closing the program, each successive press of the 'Acquire' button brings in a completely fresh set of duplicates.

I originally saw this problem on a camera with 900 images - it did seem to skip SOME images but I'm not sure.  I have reproduced it with a camera of just 5 images, which all come in again and again.

This is affecting both the 'stable' and 'latest' builds as of today - any ideas what's wrong?

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Duplicate Images from Camera
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:20 am »

I have replicated this today on another PC with a blank library, using 17.0.50 and 17.0.62.  Each time I import photos from a memory card, the 'skip file if already in library' flag is ignored and duplicates appear.  Seems to be a bug?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: BUG? : Duplicate Images from Camera
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:37:22 am »

I don't know what it is.  We can test again, but check your dates.

Is it possible you're importing the images automatically?  Check auto import settings.  Tools/Import/Autoimport, then add or remove directories and edit their settings.

vagskal

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:55:27 am »

I also get duplicate images when importing from my iPhone. MC is not set to automatically import from the iPhone (I do not think this is possible since the iPhone does not have a drive letter on the PC, but that would be a useful feature).

The [Date] as reported by MC is exactly the same for the duplicate images. If I import twice on one day the duplicates are put in the same folder (named after the [Date]) with "(1)" appended to the file name (and the [Name] shown in MC). If I do only one import a day the duplicates have the same file name but are put in different [Date] named folders.

I can give you access to a library backup, if that can help you.

EDIT: And the "Skip file if already in library option" is of course checked.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:17:40 pm »

I don't know what it is.  We can test again, but check your dates.

Is it possible you're importing the images automatically?  Check auto import settings.  Tools/Import/Autoimport, then add or remove directories and edit their settings.
Hi Jim.  Thanks for responding.  Not sure what you mean about checking the dates - I recorded 5 images to a SD card, connected that to the PC, clicked 'acquire' and it imported (correctly).  I have 'skip duplicates' checked.  If I then click again immediately, I get the same 5 images imported (with each filename appended (1)).  Then again and again.

Happy to test something - just not sure what!

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 06:04:16 am »

Has the team had a chance to check / confirm this bug?  Would really appreciate an update.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:05 am »

Same issue with build 68.  Would really appreciate a comment from the development team - I'm happy to do whatever testing may help narrow down the cause if needed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:39 am »

Could you email one of the images that duplicates to matt at jriver dot com?

I'm wondering if it has no camera name in the EXIF header, which could confuse our duplicate checking.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:18:56 am »

Could you email one of the images that duplicates to matt at jriver dot com?

I'm wondering if it has no camera name in the EXIF header, which could confuse our duplicate checking.

Thanks.
Sure will email right away.  It worked in MC16 with the same camera (Canon 550D), in case that helps.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »

Thanks for the file.

Look for a fix in 17.0.72 and newer.  Hopefully it will be available in a few days.

Carnac can cause the Name field to be a little different from what the tag reader returns, and this caused the 'skip duplicates' feature to compare two different names (it also compares several other pieces of information, but these weren't a problem). 

We switched to using 'Filename (name)' instead of 'Name', which fixes the issue.  This makes more sense anyway, because it may not be that rare for people to give an image a meaningful name so using the filename should be more robust.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up