INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best wireless N router  (Read 5368 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
Best wireless N router
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:00:28 pm »

Need to buy a new one. Any hands-on experience with Netgear N750, N900, Linksys E4200 (V2?), D-link DIR-857 (HD Media 3000), which one works better (steady connection, range is not that critical)?

I don't need 450+450 since I will never be able to reach 450 in the 2.4GHz (too crowded over here), but do the features on the high-end routers really pay off? Printer sharing, USB connectivity (USB 3.0 on the D-link), easy creation of guests network...? What can be attached to that USB port? Just storage or more - additional USB hubs, speakers, stuff?

MrHaugen

Re: Best wireless N router
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:47:20 am »

I would recommend the Linksys 4200. I've had it a few months now. It's even won some awards for for being a great Router and WIFI product. It's a breeze to set up for the first time, and to configure afterwards. I even think that there is a DD WRT firmware for it that should work well. That will expand the configuration possibilities very much. Even though I'm a tech and gizmo freak and like to control things to the smallest detail, I've had no need to have this options though...

The router have most if not all features that is expected today, and probably then some. It has a good range. Range can probably be extreme if you install DD WRT and boost the amplification on the signal strength. There is even a Guest network automatically added if you want. What I love the most is the 5GHz band. There is almost NOBODY using this, and you get very good speeds. Even in huge buildings with lots of transmitters. I have at least 15 networks around me, and this thing is running at maximum of what I consider the real physical output. Not theoretical. Only downsides is that this band has a bit lover range I think.

It costs a bit, but if your living close to lots of other people, I think it will please you. Of course, there might be other products that also use this 5GHz band, but I did my research and ended up with this one.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:10 am »

I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700.  I love it.

I researched it HEAVILY before buying to make sure it would be, above all, reliable.  I bought it way back in October 2010, and I've rebooted it maybe three times total in that time.

That says it all right there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »

I bought the Asus RT-N56U a couple weeks ago after my research suggested this was the best choice. I am very happy with it and have had no problems.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:25:10 pm »

SmallNetBuilder's wireless charts are always useful.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/58-2_4-ghz-dn
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:24 am »

Is the OP unable to use the 5Gz band?

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »

I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700.  I love it.

I researched it HEAVILY before buying to make sure it would be, above all, reliable.  I bought it way back in October 2010, and I've rebooted it maybe three times total in that time.

That says it all right there.
I second this vote.  I've had it running for almost a year without any issues.  I think I've had to reboot it once or twice.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:03:02 pm »

I second this vote.  I've had it running for almost a year without any issues.  I think I've had to reboot it once or twice.

My "three times" total might be a high estimate.

I can't remember the last time I had an issue with it.  It has been months and months and months.  And, I've done plenty of things on it that kill lesser routers (like downloading an Ubuntu torrent on my laptop for example).

The thing generally just won't die.

Funny, because previously the WAP that I had the MOST trouble with ever was a Netgear, so I was skeptical when I read all the reviews everywhere before I bought it.  But, it seemed to get the best consistent reviews, so I took the plunge.  I'm glad I did.

The dual-band feature of that router is really smartly implemented as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Daydream

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:42 pm »

But it's just N600. Same goes for Asus RT-N56U, it's just 300+300. I know link speed is not real speed, but as I'm talking about a relatively medium footprint without a lot of obstacles in between I'm aiming to get the max speed out of a 450Mbps connection (and pray for stability/no drops/no reboots). I put some effort to replace whatever is wireless in the house with 450Mbps cards (those cards in laptops are tiny! Does anyone know if replacing the wifi card in a tablet is doable? :)).

And if I have to shell out more than $130 let's go all in and get one that does everything (meaning speed + features)

What I'm reading online is all over the place. From what I heard Netgear N900 seems to be the fastest expect on SmallNetBuilder site (and I wonder how did they get those results). The reviews on Newegg however are so-so. Linksys E4200 seems to be a much liked device all around but I don't see it topping the speed charts anywhere. D-link's Home Media 3000 with USB 3.0 (showcased at CES) is not out yet, can't buy it.

I'd go for a Netgear N750 (300+450 and that's fine I don't care what it does in 2.4Ghz) but it's low on additional features (can't connect a printer to it, etc) and some people mentioned firmware issues. So I wonder if I should take my chances with a Netgear N900 ($180 @ Newegg).

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:08 pm »

I like any Netgear RangeMax models.  You cant go wrong.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:24 pm »

If you get one with WPS, be sure to turn that off.
It's totally insecure (Reaver can get your encryption password in less than 11k tries by guessing WPS pin codes).
This is a well know exploit and there is source code for reaver on google code.
Manufacturers are refusing to fix it so far (it may not really be fixable).

Ekpen

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:44:21 pm »

I have the Netgear N900 WNDR4500- 450+450. It replaced Linksys wrt610N which was unreliable.
The netgear is so powerful, my 88 year old next door neighbor is on it. He gets 300 mbps.

MC 17 detected it as a ReadyDLNA WNDR4500.

I may just put my Mitsubsihi WD-92840 on this thing <grin>

George

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »

I got the Netgear N900 too. Funny thing, as I was browsing and comparing, Newegg hit me with a promo code for everything Netgear, and I got it for $144 shipped :).

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:23:10 pm »

I would recommend the Netgear N900 WNDR4500. But make sure you install the beta firmware on the website (it fixes DNS issues).
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003
Pages: [1]   Go Up