INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recording input straight through to the MC17 output/playback, how to ??  (Read 4550 times)

bruce.weiland

• Recent member

I have MC17 recording now from my M-Audio Firewire Audiophile.

I don't suppose there is anyway to pass the recording input straight through to the MC17 output/playback without writing to disc, is there?  ?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bruce
Martin Logan PRODIGY by passed crossovers, HP server - MC20, Windows 10, USB-S/PDIF cnvrtr, or (Linn/UltraCraft unipivot w/ VTAF, GAS Sleeping Beauty, CJ PV5 phono) to Behringer DEQ2496, PS Audio DSD DAC, JP200 clone, 2 Cary CAD 280SA V12 mono blocks - Cardas Helink Golden 5-C, Zero autoformers, AQ 144V Volcano to stats,Behringer DCX2496 to 2 bridged modified Behringer EP4000's - Geortz MI 3 to woofers and 2 ML Depth subs, Aural Thrills ACS tube powered interconnects

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: recording input straight through to the MC17 output/playback, how to ??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:43:12 pm »

An input plugin that plays from the line-in (probably with ASIO) is something we've considered doing, but it's not available currently.

Could you explain why this feature would be useful?  Is latency (time from input at microphone to output) important?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Skogkatt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:14:38 am »

With MC now equipped with its own convolver (before with a plugin), DRC can be used also to equalize in real time external analog sources like: turntable, FM tuner, etc.

With its arsenal of DSPs, MC is not not just THE multimedia player, it becomes an important part of the processing chain for any audio source.

Also, having the possibility to re-route the analog input directly to the FFT analyzer (while MC plays from disk) would allow to check in real time how the DRC equalization performs:
this would require a bit more sophistication on the FFT analyzer though (i.e.: selectable vertical scale, averaging, and extended linear frequency response (16-32K FFT points)) or
the use of a VST plugin like Voxengo SPAN (free). The user would then play a pink noise track from disk and check in real time the frequency response from the microphone.  ;)

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:45:26 am »

I would find such a feature useful since I use jriver as the dsp processor and pre-amp between my 2 channel amp and separate active subwoofer. Having essentially an axillary input  (or multi channel input if you have the right card or dac) would allow someone to conect an ipod or other external audio source and still have the ability to manipulate volume output via jriver, I could also create a dedicated aux input zone and take advantage of the full dsp effects chain.

A potential extension of this idea with the right capture hardware may also allow a user to connect and route digital audio into the pc via hdmi in or optical in.

The way I see it particularly with the way things are moving in the pc home theater entertainment arena, some people will want to use a jriver home theater pc as a video and audio source only. While some people more in-line with your power users will want to run jriver as a completely integrated system hub and have the ability should they wish to route audio in and out of multiple zones across multiple audio devices. The dsp studio gives jriver more audio processing power than you typical home theater receiver/pre-amp, especially with features like parametric eq, and convolution. A future user of jriver should be able to plug their cd player/ipod/phone etc into the aux in of their pc and have the audio from that device output via the jriver audio chain.

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:48:58 am »

An input plugin that plays from the line-in (probably with ASIO) is something we've considered doing, but it's not available currently.

Could you explain why this feature would be useful?  Is latency (time from input at microphone to output) important?

Thanks.

Matt,

we have talked about this in the past. Now with the Convolution engine running this feature is more relevant than ever. Many users of Acourate and Audiolense have custom build a dedicated Linux PC running BruteFIR just for that task - convolution of ANY source stream. This would allow to plug-in any external source to the line ins of the sound interface (like SACD players, TV receivers, gaming consoles,...) and use all filters of the MC DSP Studio.

But this solution would still leave alot of streams "in the dark" - all audio streams being played on the PC with apps other than MC - like games, video/audio editing applications, internet streams,...

So the "all out" solution would be implementing the MC audio engine (incl. all DSP functions) as "virtual soundcard" - with the possibility to route any external source from the ADC inputs through it as well. We have discussed this idea in the past and i know you are quite fond of the concept. It would open up JRiver MC to a whole new customer group - especially with convolution running now!

Thank you!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:29:34 am »

Many folks here use REW (Room Equalization Wizard). It's a feature rich free acoustic measurement software that also generates data that can be used for system EQ. At the present time only a portion of its features can be used with MC by playing a pink noise file in MC and using it's RTA. But to use the real power of the program requires a software link from REW's internal sine wave sweeps to MC. Then all features - waterfalls, impulse measurements, and way more than what I presently understand can be utilized.

If we could have the above link from REW to MC then any EQ adjustments made it MC will be shown in the measurements.

REW automatically generates filter information that can directly be used with several models of Behringer such as the DCX2496. Recently the MiniDSP company has worked with John Mulcahy, the author of REW, to have these filters automatically insertable to their software. Perhaps some collaboration could be done between John Mulcahy and JRiver?

REW Links:  

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/11707-room-eq-wizard-rew-information-index-links-guides-technical-articles-please-read.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/REWV5_help.pdf

There are other threads discussing the issue of a 'Line IN' and linking other software signals to MC. With all the work recently done with Convolution this would be an opportune time to implement these features. And it would sure help a lot of us!

Thanks for considering it.

Rod

)p(

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:45:02 pm »

I think there is also interest in routing applications like spotify through mc's audio engine by either the software loopback/mixer of a soundcard or software like virtual audio cable.

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:49:54 pm »

I think there is also interest in routing applications like spotify through mc's audio engine by either the software loopback/mixer of a soundcard or software like virtual audio cable.

+1  I also use MOG and Zune and would love to route the sound through MC's audio engine/Convolver. 

Currently, the only way I have been able to make it work is host ConvolverVST into a standalone host application like www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm and use the loopback capabilities in my Lynx L22 sound card.  Unfortunately, this solution is somewhat unstable and I run into static distortion and/or sample rate issues from time to time, which requires a restart of both the source application and the host for ConvolverVST.

Would be fantastic to have this capability in MC!

markus_kr

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:48 am »

+1 for usable (ASIO) audioinputs to connect beloved turntables CD players...

With that feature JR MC has the potential to become the heart of every stereo setup with the ability to use the superior dsp chain.
The digital and analog world could finally grow together - itīs a dream!

best regards
Markus

with great respect for your work and maybe the best audiophile music-player avaible today   :)

yoshi_1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:07 am »

I think that the previous posts have described how we can make even more use of the JRiver Convolution engine. I would really appreciate such a feature to interface my cable TV tuner to my HTPC with MC.

bruce.weiland

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:36:56 am »

Thanks.

Matt,

Thank you, and all the rest for replying to this question.  :)

I will try to make this brief (not possible  ;) ) and yet include enough detail.

The purpose for the request is to use MC17 as an audiophile line preamp in my "audiophile" 2 channel system.

It can be viewed here;
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1317958032
and
http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs.pl?vevol&1317958032&viewitem&1&showall

In my never ending quest for audio Nirvana, I have recently made a big improvement in the playback quality of my system by doing away with a pair of interconnects and my active line section.

I have experimented with a few passive solutions through the years, but continued to return to an active piece.  While researching an extremely well thought of passive line section from Australia, I ran across a comment from the "manufacture/researcher" that stated a single set of interconnects from source to amps was better than even his volume control.

I have always stayed away from controlling volume in the digital domain for fear of throwing away bits and reducing sound quality.

I gave it a try and was blown away.  Theory be damned (ie. FLAC and WAV have to sound the same because the "math" says so), "the proof is in the pudding". 
But..... that left me with a problem.  No way to get vinyl/phono to the amps.  A switch box did not seem like a good idea, extra contacts, and an extra set of interconnects between my digital source and the amps.

I pressed my older M-Audio Audiophile Firewire 24/96 into service.  TT to phono preamp, phono preamp to M-Audio, and M-Audio by 4 wire Firewire to computer.  The computer is an HP touch screen Q506 (dual core, 4 gig mem, Windows 7 64) dedicate to audio playback.

Turns out this works very well, but not directly into MC17.  I have not figured out how to get it to pass through.  And in fact I don't want it to just "pass through".  I would like to be able to use some plugs in for MC17, like a high pass filter for rumble, real-time upsampling to 192, and possible dynamics expansion, a la the old Phase Linear 1000 peak unlimiter, downward expander.

So, there is my "brief" reply to your question.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce
Martin Logan PRODIGY by passed crossovers, HP server - MC20, Windows 10, USB-S/PDIF cnvrtr, or (Linn/UltraCraft unipivot w/ VTAF, GAS Sleeping Beauty, CJ PV5 phono) to Behringer DEQ2496, PS Audio DSD DAC, JP200 clone, 2 Cary CAD 280SA V12 mono blocks - Cardas Helink Golden 5-C, Zero autoformers, AQ 144V Volcano to stats,Behringer DCX2496 to 2 bridged modified Behringer EP4000's - Geortz MI 3 to woofers and 2 ML Depth subs, Aural Thrills ACS tube powered interconnects

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Great feature suggestion here
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:05:32 pm »

to use the real power of the program (REW) requires a software link from REW's internal sine wave sweeps to MC. Then all features - waterfalls, impulse measurements, .... can be utilized. If we could have a link from REW to MC then any EQ adjustments made in MC will be shown in the measurements.

Yes, I would very much like to use REW to get a better understanding of what I am doing with with digital room correction. It is much easier to find the best sounding solution if you can also measure to better understand what you are hearing. Way too many variables now to find an optimum with ears only.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Great feature suggestion here
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:08:06 pm »

Yes, I would very much like to use REW to get a better understanding of what I am doing with with digital room correction. It is much easier to find the best sounding solution if you can also measure to better understand what you are hearing. Way too many variables now to find an optimum with ears only.

If I recall you have about 16 channels with active crossovers - I can't fathom setting all that up without fully being able to test what is going on!

When I finally get all my amps built, hopefully in the next couple of months, I will have active crossovers on the 3 fronts of our 5.1 system. I sure do hope by then that I will be able to somehow utilize all of REW's capabilities with MC.

Please, please please!

Rod

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Great feature suggestion here
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:28:12 pm »

If I recall you have about 16 channels with active crossovers - I can't fathom setting all that up without fully being able to test what is going on!

I have 3 way active XO on the 3 front loudspeakers and 3 subs (7.3). So 16 channels corrected with Digital Room Correction.
There is plenty of measurement, analysis, filter design, target response, and simulation of results going on with Audiolense.

I just can't do a final verification measurement in MC. I would need to be able to inject a REW test signal on each of the standard 8 (7.1) channels independently to measure with REW.

patricklang

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:11 am »

Just a crazy thought - what about Rewire support?  It's used to shuttle audio and midi between many studio apps today.  I think everyone's "live" input scenario may be a bit different, and rewire would be a good way to allow users to set up their own "input" app.  For example, I could set up a Reaper session to handle multiple inputs (turntable, mic, ...), EQ them as needed, and then route the master bus over to MC. 

Conceptually, it's quite similar to having Reaper run a VST plugin, but offers more than just simple inline one after another routing.

Here's a short description:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReWire
Enjoying bit-perfect audio since Media Center 10!

Current 192k setup: SB Recon3d (using hdaudio.sys) -> SPDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Rotel RX-975 -> Event 20/20 v1
Headphone setup: Meta42 amp, AKG k501, AKG k271
Portable setup: Meridian Explorer -> Etymotic ER-4P with S adapter

uli-67

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 08:18:21 am »

Hello all,
just fine news, thats the biggest advantage for all audiophiles who want to listen
vinyl direct throug a convolution engine or other DSPīs or digital crossovers.
I think that the integration from analog sources in the superbe signalprocessing
and DSPīs in MC is a big step to reach more customers.

Iīm using convolving since three jears and itīs one of the biggest step in optimizing
my soundquality, but only for digital sources played from a PC.

best regards,
:-) uli

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 10:11:04 pm »

An input plugin that plays from the line-in (probably with ASIO) is something we've considered doing, but it's not available currently. Could you explain why this feature would be useful?  Is latency (time from input at microphone to output) important?

See my post here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69312.msg469867#msg469867

Low latency is good but most measurement software is designed to deal with it.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 08:36:21 am »

Matt,

You asked for, and received, several reasons that having an audio 'Line Input' and also an audio link to other software would be very helpful.

There have been quite a variety of applications noted and there are probably more that weren't mentioned. This would be a big plus to MC and I sure hope that you will be able to implement it.

Thank you.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up