INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot play VOB files from Network Share [Drive Problem]  (Read 9477 times)

peeky

• Recent member
Cannot play VOB files from Network Share [Drive Problem]
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:52:47 am »

Hi, I cannot seem to play VOB files from a network share (either a mapped drive or via unc path).  On locally attached disks it works fine. If I copy the same directory structure from the local disk to the network share and import into JRiver I can't get the movie to play - I get the error 'Something went wrong with playback' (there is no further details). The other thing to note is that if I look under the 'Movies' tab, I can see that the movie duration shows '0 - DVD'.  On the local disk it shows '1hour 34 minutes - DVD - 4.6GB'. My JRiver version is 17.0.68.  Thanks in advance.  Peeky.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Cannot play VOB files from Network Share
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:48:09 am »

I assume you speaking about the contents of a complete DVD video disc in a VIDEO_TS folder (i.e. the folder contains several ifo & vob files and MC sees it as a single DVD when this works correctly).

I can't reproduce the problem on my XP PC (the server has Windows 7), but I guess you are running Vista or Windows 7. If I recall correctly some version(s) of Windows used to have (and may still have) a problem with playing DVDs from network drives but I don't have the details at hand. I think the problem has something to do with a built-in restriction in the MS DVD navigator or decoder filter.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:20:45 am »

I tested this quickly also on Windows 7. I played a few DVDs (from VIDEO_TS folders) through network shares and couldn't reproduce the problem.

I wonder if this is a Vista problem.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

peeky

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:48 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to test, Alex. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.  Based on your success I tested the issue again using a different NAS drive - and it worked!  I have two NAS drives on my network - a Synology 210j and an ancient Maxtor Shared Storage II.  It worked fine on the Maxtor but still doesn't work on a Synology share - very strange.  They are both attached in the same way - perhaps it is a permissions issue. I will do some more testing and see if I can come up with a solution.  Thanks again for your testing.

peeky

• Recent member
Re: Cannot play VOB files from Network Share [Drive Problem]
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:35 am »

O.K.  Further investigation has shown that the problem relates to playing VOB files from a network share on the Synology NAS that links to an attached USB drive. If I put the DVD files onto a drive within the Synology NAS it works fine but if I put the files on a USB drive that is attached to the Synology NAS and shared, it doesn't work. I'm not sure why this might be but I have tried setting the permissions on the share but to no avail. I'll continue to see if there is some workaround and will post if I get a solution.

johniboy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:38:51 pm »

Hi!

I experience the same problem. But I do not have an USB drive on my Synology. All other file formats work fine.
Windows 7
Synology DS211j

The problem started when I updatet the DSM firmware to 4.1-2636
did you ever find out what went wrong?

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:05:32 pm »

I have the same problem with vob files on my DS411j. The problem came when I upgraded the firmware on the NAS to 4.1-2636.

I believe it is a problem with the new Synology firmware. Same problems are reported on the Synology forum, with different media players.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=56215&sid=6677f077c977c4df8a292c25a2efecef

I urge you to also report your problem in that forum.

TLS

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 02:33:46 am »

Same problem here  :-\
Music plays fine, VOB files not.
NAS is a Synology 212j, firmware is the last version 4.1-2636 and the data is stored on a 2TB WD Hard disk on Bay 1 of the NAS.
HTPC is running 64bit Windows 7.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:59:25 am »

I can confirm that this is a firmware problem with the Synology NAS. I did something pretty drastic today. I followed one of the downgrade procedures on the Synology forum (don't ask me how, it is risky and not well described and NOT recommended by Synology) and downgraded to 4.0.2228. This was the same firmware I was using before upgrading.

Everything is now back to normal and I can play all my stored DVD's again.

It will be awhile before I consider upgrading my DS411j just to get a few new minor features.

TLS

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 11:23:12 pm »

It seems the problem is with JRiver, and not with all other players.
MC 18 give me a more detailed report than simply "Something went wrong with Playback", it adds "Details: Failed to open or parse file (hr=0x80004005)".

The same files / folders play just fine with VLC.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:30 am »

I have a posting with a similar problem (I think). I can't play VOB from any client (across network) all other formats are fine. In my case when I try to play a VOB it crashes MC on the Server computer. I tried everthing (reinstall, new server registration, etc.) then discovered (by viewing the Event log) that the problem started with build .185. I tried upgrading to .186 - not the sloution. Then I downgraded  (back) to 17.0.184 and everything if back to normal. So it seems the issue is with MC not hardware.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 05:05:34 am »

The Synology link above leads to a post where other  users are also describing other media plyers that stopped working after the latest Synology firmware.

As described above, rolling back to a previous firmware fixed the problem for me. Vob and ifo plays fine from MC17 and MC18.
Pages: [1]   Go Up