INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bi-amp and Bi-DAC w/ JRiver as crossover?  (Read 8379 times)

nels

• Recent member
Bi-amp and Bi-DAC w/ JRiver as crossover?
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »

Hi,

Please let me know if this sounds realistic.

I'm thinking about a two-channel setup using JRiver for crossover with speakers w/o crossovers [like Mark & Daniel Maximus-Diamond+(Dir)]. Perhaps the Wyred4Sound MC4X250 and two DACs. Standard bi-amping setup. One DAC for tweeters w/ high-pass filter and the other for woofers w/ low-pass filter. Two USB cables from PC to DACs. Two linked zones in JRiver: one for tweeters and one for woofers w/ respective filter in parametric equalizer. 4 mono amps and 4 mono DACs would be better (or multi-channel amp and multi-channel DAC), but this setup might work. It's no stretch from normal bi-amping, except using JRiver as the preamp and electronic crossovers. Will the zones stay in sync?

Opinions on the setup?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Bi-amp and Bi-DAC w/ JRiver as crossover?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »

JRiver works great for bi-amping (channel routing, convolution, etc.).

However, I would recommend NOT using two DACs.  The timing from linked zones is designed for multiple rooms in a party, and not the high precision synchronization you would want for a high-end listening room.

Instead, get a good analog card that can do 8 or 16 channels (or USB DAC that can do more than 2 channels).  I bi-amp with a Creative X-Fi at home, and I'm really happy with it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nels

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:24:08 pm »

Thanks Matt.

Is it a possibility JRiver will be able to handle this kind of setup at some point, if not via zone link, than some other method?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:36:13 pm »

Thanks Matt.

Is it a possibility JRiver will be able to handle this kind of setup at some point, if not via zone link, than some other method?

I don't think two (or more) DACs with independent clocks would ever be as good of a way to go as a single DAC.  I mean, what would keep the hardware clocks in perfect step?  And if they drifted by even a tiny bit during a long song, it could goof up phasing which will be audible.

You might be able to get by putting the subwoofer on a different DAC because timing there would be a little less important, but it still doesn't seem like the way to go.

The second part of your question was about mono-block amps, and they work fine (and normally sound great) since they play no part in timing.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »

Opinions on the setup?

I assume the speaker mfr makes an active crossover?  You need it.  Two DACs=tears at bedtime
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »

Yes, it's fully supported to bi-amp, tri-amp, etc. your speakers and do all cross-over functionality with Media Center today.  You can get quality and flexibility with this approach that outpaces anything in hardware.

The only requirement is that you have enough outputs from the computer.  HDMI can do 8.  Most good analog cards do 8.  Some pro-level devices do 16 or more.

nels

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:40 pm »

Thanks for the advice.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:13:35 pm »

Thanks for the link Matt!!

Yes, it's fully supported to bi-amp, tri-amp, etc. your speakers and do all cross-over functionality with Media Center today.  You can get quality and flexibility with this approach that outpaces anything in hardware.

I would like to bi-amp my main speakers and use cross over functionality.

I have a RME babyface (pro level) device shown here  http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php#2
It has 4 analog outputs on it now... But It seems as though I can only use 2 channels at a time.
Currently I have JRiver setup : 
-      output mode settings/device = asio fireface usb
-and output mode settings/volume device = RME babyface speakers (this is analog output channels 1&2 only, as far as I can tell)

I have no problem adding x-overs, or eq to these channels, 

but how do I setup channels 3&4 ?

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:56:13 pm »

It has 4 analog outputs on it now... But It seems as though I can only use 2 channels at a time.

What happens if you set DSP Studio > Output Format to 4 channels, ASIO as the output (maybe with a channel shift of 0 in ASIO options), and play?

I would expect it to work if the card supports 4 channels out at a time.

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »

Under DSP studio, output format, set the number of channels to more than 2
I have a RME fireface 800 and use 9 channels

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:11:58 am »

Instead, get a good analog card that can do 8 or 16 channels (or USB DAC that can do more than 2 channels).  I bi-amp with a Creative X-Fi at home, and I'm really happy with it.
I set output to 16 channels, but the Parametric Equalizer DSP still only lets me route stuff to 8 channels. If people are doing active crossovers and need more than 8 channels, then the PEQ will need to be expanded to more channels. It would also be nice to be able to rename the channels to match one's own setup. Instead of L, R, C, someone might have L Tweeter, L Woofer, L Subwoofer or L High, L Mid, L Low.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:33 am »

@ Matt and BradC,
yes it supports 4 channel outs at a time.. (the channels show up in windows as though it was 2 seperate audio cards, eg : I can setup channels 3&4 as the default audio device, or channels 1&2)

I will try your settings when I get home,,

I will try changing the PEQ on all channels except my Left and Right (which is my channels 1&2), and hopefully channels 3&4 can then be adentified as a misslabeled as a surround, center or something..

Thanks guys,

I hope this works..

@Brad, just to confirm: How are your channels 3 & 4 labeled ??   

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 11:35:31 am »

With 4 channel output, the channels will be L, R, SL, SR (in that order).

You use Parametric Equalizer to move, cross-over, etc. the channels for custom usage.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 04:47:10 pm »

Thanks Matt!!
The labels were throwing me off.
I got everything in good working order :)

I've going to stick with my current x-overs until I can set it up using a measurement mic  (on order).

Then you can give me your disclaimer , and I can start burning tweeters :P

Pages: [1]   Go Up