INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC use as Front End GUI for Locitech Media Server  (Read 10062 times)

Ghubbard

• Recent member
JRiver MC use as Front End GUI for Locitech Media Server
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:58:02 am »

I use Logitech Media Server software on my PC (W7) and stream wirelessly to my
SqueezeBox Touch.  I then output the Touch into my Home audio/video zone
distribution and also directly (COAX) to my stereo receivers.  This works
very well, but I would rather use your Interface instead of Logitech's'.
Any suggestions how I can make this work? 
If this is possible, I will probably purchase.

Any ideas?
George

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: JRiver MC use as Front End GUI for Locitech Media Server
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:01:25 pm »

A quick summary...

Install Whitebear Media Server.

Enable MC's Media Network (Tools > Options > Media Network > Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA)

Expand the Advanced section there - enable the three DLNA ... related-checkboxes.

Select Add or configure DLNA servers, and for Audio, select Never convert.

Disable the LMS (Logitech Media Server) DLNA plug-in (you can use the LMS web interface, and will have to restart LMS).

Start Whitebear, and you'll start to see DLNA zones appearing under the Playing Now tree in MC.

Select your files to play, right-click, and Send To and select the desired SB zone with the chosen playback method.

You can also select a zone in the MC tree, and that becomes the default playback zone, so you can just use the Play bottom to start playback.  Enabling the Tabs interface in MC allows you to set one tab to the currently selected zone for playback, and use other tabs for music navigation and operations.  (Views > Split Views> Show Tabs, and add open tabs as desired).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:19:29 pm »

Hi i have done all this and it works but only the first track od any album is played I notice that my squeezebox display says: connection rest by host    have i missed something?

graham

MrC

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:32:28 pm »

Be sure to turn of Repeat in both MC and the SB.

Re: connection lost...

*) can you try testing wired (instead of wireless)?
  *) any A/V running?

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »

All connections are wired. turned off repeat on j river (yep it was on) think that stops the host warning but still only plays one track

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »

Just guessing but do you have the most recent Logitech Media Server installed and is the DLNA plugin in the Logitech Media Server turned OFF? (it should be off).

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:32 am »

Most recent yes DNLA - ON Ill turn it off and check

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:18:46 pm »

thats tidied things up but, generally, only a single track plays even if i send the whole album to squeezebox by whitebear...

MrC

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 12:28:06 pm »

Again, be sure to check repeat settings on both systems.

Quote from: AndrewFG
- If repeat is on in MC, then MC repeatedly sends the "play this track" command to the player.
- If repeat is off in MC, then MC sends one single "play this track" command, but if repeat is on in SBS, then SBS will itself repeat that track thereafter...

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:38:44 pm »

Repeat is off on both

Album loads up and first track plays 1 of 12 or whatever and I can see the list of album tracks in order but generally it stops after the first one. FWIW I am using the latest non beta whitebear with the setting for j river set to "this is a squeezebox server" and the most recent WHS nightly

I say generally because once in a while it will contoinue and play the next track but I cannot see any rhyme or reason as to when

Graham

MrC

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 12:42:09 pm »

Let me see if I can call AndrewFG's attention to this thread...  hold tight a day or two.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:26:35 am »

Let me see if I can call AndrewFG's attention to this thread...  hold tight a day or two.

Got it  :-)

Logitech's Media Server (previously known as Squeezebox Server) has two functions: 1) it hosts your music library, and 2) it sends music to your Squeeze players. LMS implementation of both these functions uses proprietary processes, formats and interfaces.

If you add a "UPnP/DLNA front end" to LMS/SBS you can make it do two new things:

1) Put a UPnP wrapper around the LMS proprietary music library so that it also appears to UPnP Control Points as a UPnP Digital Media Server (DMS) a.k.a. "ContentDirectory"
2) Put a UPnP wrapper around the Squeeze players so that they also appear to UPnP Control Points as a Digital Media Renderer DMR a.k.a. "PlayTo"

MC supports DMS ContentDirectories to appear as music libraries; and it also supports DMR players to appear as players. With these two features, you can play FROM either MCs native library or from a DMS ContentDirectory, TO an MC native player or to a DMR. Any combination of FROM and TO is possible.

There are currently two "UPnP/DLNA front ends" for LMS/SBS -- namely Logitech's own DLNA plug in (shipped in LMS v7.7) and Whitebear. Frankly Logitech's own plug in is rather rudimentary and buggy (it only supports mp3, it provides very little track metadata on the Squeeze player display, and is very much "Logicentric"...) -- so (naturally) I recommend the 'Bear ;-)

The current public release (v2.2) of Whitebear still has quite a few niggles in its interworking with MC. But in the last few weeks, bob (JRiver) and I (assisted kindly by MrC) have been working closely to improve the interworking and integration between MC and Whitebear. We are pretty close to having finalised all issues, and I expect to release Whitebear v2.3 publicly within the next few days. (If you can't wait, please send me a PM and I will send you a link where you can get a pre-release...)

As MrC says, you just need to install Whitebear on the computer where LMS is running. The rest is more-or-less automatic.

Note: that it is not absolutely necessary, but I do recommend to disable LMS own DLNA plug in. It will avoid excess load on your PC cpu and network. And prevents the confusion of your Squeeze library and players showing up twice in MC i.e. once hosted by Whitebear, and once hosted by LMS own plug in...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up