INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 17.0.89 -- Available Here  (Read 21749 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver Media Center 17.0.89 -- Available Here
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:43 am »

This is the latest version of MC 17.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

New Features in MC17

Upgrade Instructions

Download: http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v17/latest/MediaCenter170089.exe

17.0.89 (2/15/2012)

1. NEW: Added the HDTracks store including download and search (Services & Plug-ins in the tree).
2. Changed: Added extra logging for TV recording.
3. Changed: Revised escapement of non-printable characters in XML to work with more XML parsers.
4. Fixed: Relative paths that moved up multiple paths with ../.. were not handled properly in some cases.
5. Faster: Internal Volume uses SSE when it's available for around 20% - 30% faster volume processing.
6. Changed: Reduced wait time for DVB and QAM channel scanning.
7. Changed: Added a wait when switching user interface modes while madVR is in use to help with full screen exclusive causing Theater View creation problems.

17.0.88 (2/14/2012)

1. Changed: Increased the number of allowable Theater View background images that will be cached (now the lesser of 1 GB or 2500 images).
2. Fixed: The tooltip for the Compare(...) expression function listed incorrect examples.
3. NEW: Added full support for DSF tagging (uses ID3v2 tags at the end of the file).
4. Fixed: MC could crash when scanning for DVB-C (and maybe DVB-S) channels.
5. Changed: Updated Russian translation file (thanks to Vladimir).
6. Fixed: Internal Volume was not working when no effects were enabled in DSP Studio.
7. Fixed: Theater View artist backdrops were not working properly when there was a list of artists for a file.
8. Fixed: Theater View would incorrectly show backdrops for the first file in a selection with varying series or artists (backdrops only appear if the backdrop would apply to all files in the selection).
9. Fixed: DLNA: present proper bitrate in when converting to MP3.
10. Changed: Search suggestions don't appear if search syntax is entered into the search box (defined as the characters: []=).
11. Fixed: Non-printable characters below 0x20 were not being escaped properly when generating XML.

17.0.87 (2/10/2012)

1. Changed: Tuned the Internal Volume slider scaling (more details here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69939.0).
2. Fixed: DVB-C tuning space was specified incorrectly.
3. Fixed: Albums that ended with period characters would unnecessarily have their external cover art saved without the periods.
4. Fixed: Random smartlists would not refresh when re-entering a playlist view in Theater View.
5. Changed: Tuned DSD to PCM conversion to remove high-frequency aliasing noise.

17.0.86 (2/9/2012)

1. Fixed: A bad filename for a DVB-C transponder list file.
2. Fixed: Theater View backgrounds could cause hiccups in animation when switching between artists, series, etc.
3. Fixed: Theater View theme images tied to root item selection would not load when entering Theater View until the selection was changed.
4. Fixed: WinTV Nova-T Stick DVB-T Tuner did not work.
5. Changed: Carnac understands four digit episode numbers.
6. Changed: Minor change in DVB-C/S tuning.

17.0.85 (2/8/2012)

1. NEW: Theater View themes support showing different images depending on the root roller selection (put images in [Theme Folder]\Root\Audio, [Theme Folder]\Root\Movies, etc.).
2. Changed: The 'Don't ask me again' box when prompting about removing empty folders will save both a yes or no answer (previously by design it would only save a yes answer).
3. Changed: DLNA:Try to return a valid container ID for browsemetadata.
4. NEW: (Clear) QAM digital cable television support.
5. Fixed: Internal Volume was not being honored when doing level calibration with Room Correction.
6. Fixed: When going back a level in Theater View sometimes the focus could shift unexpectedly to the top roller.
7. Changed: Theater View themes use a faster fade when switching to a different set of images (but still the same fade time between images in a slideshow set).
8. Fixed: Browsing into a Netflix series entry in Theater View was not working properly.
9. Faster: Theater View online theme handling better caches searches to reduce web traffic / overhead.
10. Fixed: Changes to Netflix account information were lost if program crashed.
11. Changed: Volume mode, internal volume level, and Volume Protection are saved as they are changed instead of on shutdown so settings aren't lost if there's a crash.
12. Fixed: It was possible to use Send To to add tracks to a locked playlist.
13. Changed: Intel QuickSync is now supported for video acceleration for VC1, AVC, and MPEG-2 formats.

17.0.84 (2/7/2012)

1. Fixed: Manual TheMovieDB would show the URL to the poster and backdrop in the results.
2. Faster: Clicking between entries in Get Movie & TV Info no longer reloads the result from the server.
3. Fixed: The level of data in visualizations would be incorrectly reduced by Internal Volume.
4. NEW: Theater View animated lists support all the same typed-navigation functionality as standard lists (1: home, 0: end, 2-9: texting style, letters: as expected).
5. Fixed: With a Theater View sheet list, zooming into an item could result in the full resolution image being cropped to a square instead of shown with its native aspect ratio.
6. NEW: Added 'Timing' to subtitle right-click menu to allow adjusting when subtitles appear (changes saved per-file and applied on subsequent playback as well).
7. Fixed: DRM protected wmv files were not playing.
8. Fixed: DRM protected wma files could cause a crash during import or audio analysis.
9. Fixed: Selecting AVI format for the video conversion type for DLNA playback did not work.
10. Fixed: Some view header commands like locking of a playlist would not work as expected if the playlist was showing more than once on the screen (split views, Action Window, etc.).
11. Fixed: "Nova-DT DVB-T Tuner" television device did not work.
12. Changed: Theater View flow and wall lists use higher quality textures for the unselected items.
13. Changed: Theater View animated lists use mip-mapping to improve the visual quality when zooming, moving, etc. (you can configure AA and AF in Options > General > Video Card).
14. Fixed: The Editor field was not usable for images as reported in the build 83 change log.
15. Fixed: Possible crash while switching between views in Theater View.
16. NEW: When customizing Media Network views, the 'All' item can be enabled or disabled per view.
17. NEW: Revised the default Media Network (DLNA, Gizmo, etc.) views to work more like Theater View (it's recommended but optional that you use Options > Media Network > Customize views > Reset to get the new defaults).

17.0.83 (2/6/2012)

1. Fixed: OGG import could crash.
2. Changed: ID3v2 tag reading doesn't treat / as a delimiter in ID3v2.3, but instead uses NULL as the delimiter for reading and writing in ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4.
3. Changed: Room Correction can be used on the first 8 channels when outputting more than 8 channels of audio.
4. Changed: Internal volume is applied before DSP instead of last, so that limiting and clip protection are never applied unless actually required by the hardware.
5. Changed: Tuned the logarithmic scale used by internal volume (so 50% is -13.8dB instead of -10.2dB).
6. Changed: When building a filename from file information, only the primary / first artist or genre will be used from a list.
7. Fixed: Albums with lists of artist values could use the list instead of the primary artist for the 'Album Artist (auto)' field.
8. Changed: Updated the copyrights on the splash and about images to 2012.
9. Changed: Updated German language file (thanks Bytestar).
10. Fixed: Theater View News and Weather would not appear when running in a language other than English.
11. Fixed: Downloading of video podcasts could report an error when moving the sidecar image file.
12. Fixed: Playback of AAC streaming radio could fail (or be very slow) to start.
13. Changed: Opened up the fields Author, Actors, Director, Editor, Episode, Series, and Series Description for use with audio (useful for audiobooks, Podcasts, etc.)
14. Changed: Opened up the field Editor, Series, Series Description, and Track # for use with images.
15. Changed: Opened up the field Track # for use with videos.
16. Changed: Using the search arrow in the Artist column on a file with a list of artists will search on the first artist instead of the combination of all the artists.
17. Changed: To search a view with the wizard, use Ctrl+Shift+F.  Ctrl+W / Ctrl+Q no longer do anything in the search box (since Ctrl+Q is a standard shortcut for closing a tab / program).
18. Fixed: When playing YouTube from Theater View, the playback bandwidth setting from Options > Services > YouTube was not being honored.
19. Changed: When a web media resource can not be played, it will show a playback error instead of showing an empty browser window.
20. Fixed: The finish in the installer would hang for 15 extra seconds when performing an automatic update from Update Channels.
21. Fixed: In some cases when the 'No subtitles' item was active, the OSD would not work for changing subtitles.
22. Fixed: If DLNA eventing was not working, the player could stick at a 'Waiting...' state.
23. NEW: Convolution automatically adjusts for filter latency for cases where a delay is baked into the filter files (still preserves intentional timing differences between channels).

17.0.82 (2/3/2012)

1. Fixed: Theater View could crash when deleting items.
2. Faster: Improved Theater View's UI update system (when playback advances, etc.) so that fewer updates happen and updates look smoother when they do happen.
3. Fixed: Searching in Theater View could crash with build 80 or 81.
4. Fixed: Hulu AdZone clips would not play properly.
5. Faster: Improved performance of DSD reading and decoding.
6. Fixed: Incorrect message displayed in 'Edit Cd Information' dialog.
7. Fixed: The uninstaller could error when finishing.
8. NEW: The search language supports putting a hat in front of a keyword to do word matching (so ^car matches "Car Blues" or "My Car Broke" but not "Carolina on My Mind").
9. Changed: Hat is an escaped character in the search language, so you must use /^ to search for a literal hat.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: JRiver Media Center 17.0.89 -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:55 pm »

"Sort By Track # Inside Groups" does not maintain it's setting. Switching to another view then returning finds         track numbers scrambled within groups (Grouped by Album).

When switched to Album Thumbnails view this results in the same track number jumble causing out of order for playback.

Since my listening preference is most always by full albums I find this quite disruptive as many albums require proper playback order for full enjoyment.

* If this cannot be corrected, is there some way to have MC create cue sheets and base playback on those?
. . . the game is rigged

Skogkatt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »

17.0.83 (2/6/2012)

4. Changed: Internal volume is applied before DSP instead of last, so that limiting and clip protection are never applied unless actually required by the hardware.

This change together with convolver latency prevents "Stop: Fadeout (slow/normal/slow)" and "added silence after stop with ASIO" to operate as they should.

Is it possible to take into account the convolver latency before shutting the output or, as an alternative, let the user the option to decide whether placing volume before or after DSPs?

Also, I'm not using volume except for "stop: fadeout" but volume changes get delayed by convolver latency if convolver is used. Any volume change is applied (can be heard) after some time depending on
filter length.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »

1. NEW: Added the HDTracks store including download and search (Services & Plug-ins in the tree).

Brilliant!   :)

bitjockey

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58:50 pm »

Apologies if I'm doing it wrong, I'm a JRiver noob;  when I run Webgizmo (either on localhost or on my iTouch), the track ordering within an album is messed up. All looks good when I view through JRiver on my PC. Known problem, or something with tagging that I'm not doing? I use FLAC files ripped by dbPowerAmp.
Tried originally with 17.0.82 and also with 17.0.89...no changes between versions.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »

Apologies if I'm doing it wrong, I'm a JRiver noob;  when I run Webgizmo (either on localhost or on my iTouch), the track ordering within an album is messed up. All looks good when I view through JRiver on my PC. Known problem, or something with tagging that I'm not doing? I use FLAC files ripped by dbPowerAmp.
Tried originally with 17.0.82 and also with 17.0.89...no changes between versions.

Welcome.

Is this all views, or just certain views inside WebGizmo?  If it's just certain views, what views are affected?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:52 am »

Can't play flac files to gizmo. Rolled back to 085 and flac playback works. Installed 089 again and flacs fail.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:09:15 am »

Can't play flac files to gizmo. Rolled back to 085 and flac playback works. Installed 089 again and flacs fail.

Same here. Can't play FLAC through WEBGIZMO as well.

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:03:46 am »

Another vote for no FLAC playback through Gizmo on my Galaxy S2....worked fine on older builds.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »

When 'Stacked' files are played only the top file shows Last Played and Number of Plays increased.

Shouldn't both show the track as being played since it is the same file name?
. . . the game is rigged

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:55:59 pm »

Intel HD3000 QuickSync Video hardware acceleration causes jerky playback with high speed stutter. Tried both RO Std and HQ. Playing from MKV file compressed using H.264 with HandBrake. Plays OK with acceleration off.

Hardware: Intel i7 2600K CPU, Intel DZ68DB Main Board, latest Intel hardware drivers, Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

bitjockey

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:59:11 pm »

Welcome.

Is this all views, or just certain views inside WebGizmo?  If it's just certain views, what views are affected?

Thanks.

I'm seeing this in "Recent". Also in the "Albums" view, titles appear scrambled in places as well, they don't match the artwork about 60% of the time.

christefan

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 01:28:28 am »

OK--this build will still not play ts files recorded with a r5000hd dvr off dish network.  I can't imagine I am the only person who uses this setup for time shifting movies or programs that I can't see when theyy are braodcast.  I get audio and no video---please advise

christefan

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 01:32:55 am »

Won't play blu-ray iso files from the mc17 app but will play a blu-ray iso if it gets mounted by virtual drive---isn't this app suppose to play blu-rays without assists or other programs?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 01:55:46 am »

ctrl+f no longer select the previous find criteria text in the find text box or actually it selects it but then quickly removes selection.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 08:46:49 am »

Beamer,
Please use this thread instead of posting in the build thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70159.0

DoubtingThomas

bug in v17 over v14 - deleting rows from PlayingNow
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 10:04:35 am »

I found a bug in v17 over v14, or at least different and strange behavior.

Put some tracks (try 10) in your PlayingNow list and start the last track playing.  Now remove the first row, the highlight jumps to the last track that is currently playings, that is very weird.

Try this, get the second to last track playing and then delete the first row, the highlighted row moves to the 2nd track in the list after the first is deleted, which is what I expect.

Now keep deleting the first track and it gets removed and the highlighted row moves to the next track UNTIL there are only 2 tracks above the currently playing track.  Then when you remove the first track, the highlighted row  jumps to the currently playing track, leaving one track above.

This is easily duplicated, if you have trouble, the maybe I didn't explain it right.

Trill304

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 03:30:12 pm »

One more instance of FLAC files no longer playing in gizmo.  Sprint Galaxy SII and Xoom running ICS.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 05:00:52 pm »

Appears to hang on help|about.

christefan

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 07:14:53 pm »

Will download a video off youtube but if you try to play videos it comes back with a file not found error--and YES that is with your default player selected for flv and mp4

jack wallstreet

Re: bug in v17 over v14 - deleting rows from PlayingNow
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 09:51:08 pm »

I found a bug in v17 over v14, or at least different and strange behavior.

Put some tracks (try 10) in your PlayingNow list and start the last track playing.  Now remove the first row, the highlight jumps to the last track that is currently playings, that is very weird.

I can confirm this behavior.  Obviously not a big issue, a little weird and would be nice to fix, when there aren't more important fixes to be made.
John

MusicHawk

Applying internal volume control BEFORE DSP breaks many things
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 10:56:56 pm »

NOT GOOD! This blows away certain plug-ins that have nothing to do with playback volume, but are used to process and adjust other aspects of the audio. This especially eliminates using a multi-channel compressor/equalizer with MC, as I recommended in a major article, unless MC's internal volume control is absolutely locked down -- very difficult because it's within easy user access, and sometimes it is THE volume control for the entire playback system.

The manipulation of this type of audio-chain plug-in -- standard in the audio chain of TV/radio/broadcast and production facilities -- begins with a stable input level. This WAS accomplished by enablling MC's automatic replay gain track-level adjustment, followed by the plug-in module's combination of input compressor + main processing + output limiter, THEN MC's internal volume control. This order of processing is essential, because the compressor must have consistent input level or it has no baseline for dynamic adjustment of the audio stream. The goal is to massage the audio as desired on the source side, independent of playback.

In my experience, playback volume control is entirely separate from all other audio-chain stages. Consider a radio station processing its audio (in this case via MC's DSP chain), then transmitting. The radio listener then sets local playback volume as desired -- but the listener's choice of volume obviously does not somehow feed back to the radio station and affect its audio processing. MC should continue to behave the same way.

If I understand the explanation for this major change in MC, it implies a very simple DSP chain that feeds directly into an external amp. But that's just one possible setup. Bolting it in makes MC unsuitable for other common (in my experience) audio-chain setups. I have many instances where the external amp's volume is fixed (such as a basic power amp, or an array of amp-speakers on poles and walls) and the entire playback level is controlled via MC's software/internal volume control. These setups have been working with MC perfectly for years, but now they seem to be no-longer supported by MC.

This change in behavior absolutely breaks ALL of the MC installations I've set up for friends and associates (and makes my how-to article obsolete) because they all use a DSP third-party compressor plug-in that must have the constant input level and processing order of prior versions of MC. (Even an internal MC compressor would require a consistent input level to produce useful results.) Certain visualizations and other types of DSP processes also should not be affected by playback volume.

Instead, I ask PLEASE that this drastic change in where MC controls volume be optional and/or configurable. Perhaps internal volume can be a processing chain element, re-orderable by the MC user as desired, at the front, back, or anywhere in the chain. (Ideally every stage/plug-in could be positioned as desired anywhere in the chain.) If this is not possible, PLEASE at a minimum allow an option to retain the long-standing behavior of internal volume at the END of MC's audio chain.

Put another way, MC audio output could be considered as three phases:
  • DECODE a variety of audio files into a standard digital audio stream format. MC might alter sample rate, multi-channel mixing, etc, all to achieve a standard audio stream format.
  • PROCESS the audio stream through an audio chain of various internal and external DSP stages/plug-ins, as chosen and ordered by the user. ONLY the DSP stages should alter the audio, per their settings. Normally these stages are configured then untouched. The OUTPUT of this phase is roughly equivalent to tuning in a radio station or online feed. This phase is NOT PLAY, it is further PROCESSING, resulting in the final desired audio stream, ready for playing (listening).
  • PLAY by sending the processed last-stage output of the DSP audio chain to the computer's audio system where it is converted into analog audio. This final PLAY phase uses the output of but does not interact with MC's prior DECODE and PROCESS phases. This final phase is where user adjustment of MC's internal PLAY volume control should act. (And did until the new change.)

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

DoubtingThomas

Re: bug in v17 over v14 - deleting rows from PlayingNow
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 09:10:05 am »

I can confirm this behavior.  Obviously not a big issue, a little weird and would be nice to fix, when there aren't more important fixes to be made.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Everyone is different, but this is a biggie to me.  No longer can I just highlight a track (and intend on deleting more than one) I want to remove from the PlayingNow list and just click "Delete" since the movement of the highlighted  track to the next track can't be depended on to work in a consistent Windows like manner

I'm not a power user.... I see little difference in the features I use from v14 to v17 and v17 is annoying to use in the PlayingNow list over v14 that I just upgraded from.

I'm hoping it gets fixed.....

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:15 pm »

Using a Smartlist for 'Complete Albums' (Complete Album: 0) I discovered a number of albums showing as incomplete. When checking I discovered that all I needed to do to make the album complete was to go to the Album's folder within MC's Explorer section of the tree and while selecting all the audio tracks I did a Right-Click --> Import.

Apparently for some reason I cannot discern, MC had failed to Import all the tracks in these folders during Auto Import, but a manual Import corrected this. Why?

There is nothing wrong with any of these tracks, none were marked as 'Bad', but somehow they had been passed over.

BTW, these were mp3 files created from FLAC files by using MC's file convert function.
. . . the game is rigged

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Applying internal volume control BEFORE DSP breaks many things
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 07:10:07 pm »

PLEASE at a minimum allow an option to retain the long-standing behavior of internal volume at the END of MC's audio chain.

I agree, I prefer volume control at the end of the DSP chain. In this way internal digital volume control works for all forms of processing needs. With volume control first, some processing options are broken. I like to to have all the DSP elements operating with a full signal.

With internal volume first, I have to carefully adjust my analog signal gains so I am at max internal volume for my preferred loudness. A pain with 16 amplifiers.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »

You might post in this thread about Internal Volume:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69627.0

It includes discussion and justification for the changes.  For my installation, this new method is a big improvement.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

janh

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:42 am »

Rip crash!

I have Windows 7, Home Premium SP1.
I started to rip a music CD. During the ripping, the process crashed, and I had a message (my translation from norwegian):

Heading:   Media Center 17.exe  Program error
Message:   The exception   Unknown Program exception 0xc06d007e occurred in the program at 0x7711b9bc

I changed to build 89 yesterday. Never had any such trouble before.

I rebooted my pc, started MC and ripped another CD, all ok.
Then I restarted the computer and ripped the first (troublesome) CD again. Also here the whole rip now went well, except for a track where 1% of sectors could not be verified. But such has happened before, without any crash.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:41 pm »

Manually building the conversion cache is not working for me. Log sent.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:17 am »

Audio conversion to library client is broken? Streaming
works if I choose not to use conversion. Also Gizmo doesn't work if conversion from ogg is needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up