INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scraping TV Show Specials  (Read 4402 times)

steelman1991

• World Citizen
Scraping TV Show Specials
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:01 pm »

Hi folks

Been searching for a while on this topic - guess I might not be using the appropriate search tags - anyway, could someone advise me how to succesfully scrape TV Show 'specials'. From working with other front-ends - I was under the impression that seasons of this type should be numbered as '0'.

However I just noticed that none of my 'specials' carry either metadata or screenshots. When I attempt to retrieve the info I get a message

"Some of the selected files are not eligible for 'Get Movie and TV Info ' because Television Shows must have a numeric Season and Episode value"

These files have both (s00e01 etc), but I presume there is no recognition of Season 0 as valid. What is the correct way to have them named to enable a successful scrape from the tvdb.

Thanks

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Scraping TV Show Specials
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:18:26 pm »

There is currently no way to do a lookup when season is non-numerical or zero. There is a workaround - temporarily change the season number from 0 to a number, then do an individual Get Movie and TV Info, and in the search bar change the season to 0. It should find the correct special.

In my library, I have specials as [Season]=S and extras as [Season]=X.

It would be nice if MC would do a lookup of [Season]=0 for anything with an empty or non-numerical season value. Hopefully this is something the developers might consider adding in.

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:43:43 am »

Thanks for that

Well JRiver folks - is this a change that can be looked forward to, or is there an option being worked on?

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:40:32 am »

Another issue I've run into is the scraping of seasons with years as their reference.

eg Tom and Jerry http://thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=series&id=72860.

@ darichman - following your logic on the '0' season issue, I tried the same with these, to no avail - changing the season to a single integer and then scraping using the 'year' on an indivdual basis - produced no results.

Anything you can suggest to resolve

thanks

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:46:40 am »

For Tom And Jerry you could change the media type to movie and try scraping Wikipedia, they have details for all episodes and you can search by title rather than episode number. The info is more production related than TVDB, which will give a synposis. But I prefer the detailed production info.

A distinct advantage of Wikipedia is that you will get the title screens as your screen shot.

The hitch - can Wikipedia be set as the preferred site to scrape info from?

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 10:55:49 am »

I've run into this problem with both Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry episodes.  Is there an upper limit to season numbers, after which the TV scraper simply will not work?  The workarounds are effective, but I'm curious why the scraper is limited in this way.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 07:18:20 am »

Requests:

1. If [Season] is "0" or "a non-numerical value" (S, X etc) -> automatically look up Season = 0

2. Allow four digit season lookups. Popeye is another example here. A lot of long-running cartoon series and talk shows are the same.

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »

I was able to scrape some specials in my test setup. I used darichman's work around.  I then changed the season to "Specials" in the tag pane.

This should be a simple fix.  The Get Movie and TV Info app works with season 0, all that need to be fixed is the filter when it is evaluating if a file can be scraped or not.

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »

Requests:

1. If [Season] is "0" or "a non-numerical value" (S, X etc) -> automatically look up Season = 0

+1

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:35 am »

JRiver Media Center 17.0.125 fixes this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up