INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Popping with CPU use / Madvr settings  (Read 14678 times)

duskdrums

• Recent member
Popping with CPU use / Madvr settings
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:49:50 pm »

Hi. My system is a self-build htpc with an i3-2105, Asus Xonar STX (using the Asus ASIO drivers, set to ASIO in J Rvier), connected via the analog out to a Macintosh C22/MC240.

Whenever I am in Theater View and the background image changes while playing music there is a little hiccup in the sound. This also occurs when I use the remote to switch menu options and when I select Exit to back Media Center. I'm guessing this is due to CPU usage, though I could be totally wrong about this I guess? Its harder to reproduce in standard view, which I assume doesn't use the CPU as much. I have played with the ASIO settings (larger and smaller buffer, etc.), but there seems to be no change. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Second question has to do with madvr settings. I'm using the HD 3000 graphics from Intel built into the 2105. I have DDR-2133 ram, and have overclocked the GPU to 1350 to get best madvr performance based on this post over at avsforums (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21014311#post21014311). The media player renethx uses is not JRiver so i'm trying to get a sense of what the best madvr settings are. Given the intel graphics, I have checked hardware acceleration in JRiver. What decoding settings am I best off using? The only listings seem to be the ffmpeg software decoder and the Intel software decoder. which one is better? And no hardware decoder available? If RedOctober HQ works differently than what renethx has setup in that post, what is the best option for me in jriver?

Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Popping with CPU use / Madvr settings
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

Regarding madVR and decoder:

I suggest to turn off the decoders in madVR, and just configure JRiver to use Hardware Acceleration, which will use a QuickSync based decoder on your CPU/GPU, which is the best solution you can go with.
The other settings are really not specific to JRiver, just configure the scaling algorithms how you like it, the TV settings to match your display, and you should be set.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Popping with CPU use / Madvr settings
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:07 pm »

And make sure you're not having underlying disk or network I/O problems.  Bring up the Task Manager and then the Resource Monitor.  Make note of what's consuming the most resources.  In the Resource Monitor you can use the Disk tab to examine disk activity.  Make note of the Disk Queue Length graphs, those tell you if there are contention issues with certain drives.  Given that it's a DIY setup it's entirely possible you've got something that could use additional fine tuning, like SATA drives in native mode or possible interrupt conflicts. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up