INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17 Crashes on HDMI power state change  (Read 2973 times)

Darth B

• Recent member
MC 17 Crashes on HDMI power state change
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

Here's my basic setup.  HTPC --> HDMI to Denon AV Receiver --> HDMI to Sony LCD.

When listening to music, I get tired of looking at the display so I will turn it off. I'll also briefly change the source of the Denon from HTPC to another device like the satellite receiver, then switch back.  This worked find using an ATI 5570 card.

I just switched to an nVida card to use the LAV video decoder and madVR.  Everything seemed to be fine.  However, turning off the TV or switching sources on the Denon now causes MC17 to crash.  It always crashes when the audio is set to WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style. If set-up to direct sound, the sample rate gets messed up and often will crash MC17.

This happens in MC17.0.95, MC17.0.91, MC17.0.89, MC17.0.82 and MC17.0.73.  Not a problem with iTunes.

I never had a problem with the ATI card. It seems to be a glitch with nVida and JRiver.  Any thoughts?

Here's the last part of the log:
0133319: 568: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0133319: 568: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 0, wParam: 0, lParam: 0, Window class:
0133709: 4268: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Start
0133724: 4268: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Finish (15 ms)
0134645: 3588: Handheld: CWMDMThread::Thread: Start
0134645: 3588: Handheld: CWMDMThread::Thread: Starting work loop

brucinski

• Recent member
Re: MC 17 Crashes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 03:25:26 pm »

I am having a similar issue.  MC17 with a dual monitor setup.  I am using a Dell Alienware X51 with Nvidia GTX555 video card.  The HDMI output goes to my projector and the DVI goes to the main screen that controls the theater.  Use case is as follows:

1) Win 7 Machine is running with primary monitor being Dell Touchscreen
2) MC17 is running at all times in Theater View on Dell Touchscreen
3) Turn on Projector to watch movie
4) Use touchscreen to select movie
5) Detach video and movie is displayed on projector with no issue
6) Watch movie with no issues
7) Reattach dsiplay back to Dell Monitor
8) Stop Movie
9) Turn off Projector or switch HDMI input
10) MC 17 Screen goes black
11) Pull up task manager and close program
12) This brings up the regular MC interface but at this point MC17 is unstable and will crash.  For example audio will start play and then just start playing the same snippit over and over.
13) MC17 Process needs to be killed
14) Audio settings are lost on restart

Anyone have a solution?  Awesome product but this but a nasty kink into how I want to use in my theater ...

Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 03:32:52 pm »

Yeah it is the "loss" of the Audio Output Device when you switch that causes the issue and it has been around forever.  This is a HW Driver issue and you only have a couple of options:
1) Get something like the HDMI Detective Plus - http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005
2) Try a different GPU.  I have found the newer nVidia cards are better than they used to be but YMMV
3) See #1
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »

Jim had a problem like this on Intel hardware.

In that case, the driver / hardware simply crashed when the HDMI power state changed if we were playing audio to it.  There was no way we could insulate against the crash, because it happened in a driver thread that was out of our control.

In his case, updated drivers from Intel fixed the issue.  Maybe you could update your drivers?

Otherwise, you'll have to switch to a non-exclusive hardware mode like DirectSound.  This will insulate Media Center from the problem (and it's why iTunes doesn't crash -- it doesn't support hardware direct output).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

brucinski

• Recent member
Re: MC 17 Crashes on HDMI power state change
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »

Thanks!  I will check for more current drivers from Nvidia and if that does not work I will purchase the Gefen device.  Can you confirm that to keep to a purist audiophile implementation that I need to keep audio in exclusive mode? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:50:55 pm »

Thanks!  I will check for more current drivers from Nvidia and if that does not work I will purchase the Gefen device.  Can you confirm that to keep to a purist audiophile implementation that I need to keep audio in exclusive mode?  

For your particular case, it's also possible detaching the display is relevant.

Could you test without ever detaching?  Also, please test Red October Standard (Options > Video)?

I bring this up because Red October HQ uses madVR, and madVR subclasses it's parent window in a way that causes trouble with detached displays.  Your problem could be related to this.

Thanks.

brucinski

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »

Matt,

Tested the following use case and MC17 seems to remain stable:

1) MC17 running in theater view on primary monitor
2) Turned on Porjector and selected HDMI input for MC17
3) Screens flickered but desktop successfully exteded to projector (never an issue)
4) Selected Movie and clicked Watch
5) Right clicked and detached the display
6) Movie transferred to projector with no issue
7) Watched movie
8) Clicked stop on primary display
9) Switched HDMI Input
10) MC17 flickered but came right back
11) Clicked audio and played music
12) Selected HDMI Input for MC17
13) Started to play movie again
14) No issues

Seems to be on the reattach of the display.  I will test some more this evening.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 06:44:15 pm »

Seems to be on the reattach of the display.  I will test some more this evening.

It could also be related to the play state while switching.  The crash I described above only happens if we're playing or paused with the HDMI sound device open when the HDMI switch occurs.

Darth B

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »

I solved my problem - no thanks to this forum or the JRiver team :(.  After 3 days of nothing, I searched elsewhere and learned the problem was common between Denon and nVidia.  The solution is to use Gefen's HDMI Detective.  I purchased it and it fixed the problem.

However, an ATI card is a much more cost effective solution.  I'm not completely sold on LAV Video and madVR.  I've watched a few movies and at different points the video playback seems to stutter.  I haven't taken the time to figure out if its a LAV Video or madVR issue.  There was never a problem with the ATI card.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:00:30 am »

I solved my problem - no thanks to this forum or the JRiver team :(.  After 3 days of nothing, I searched elsewhere and learned the problem was common between Denon and nVidia.  The solution is to use Gefen's HDMI Detective.

This seems a bit harsh.

1) The problem appears to be between Denon and nVidia; I don't see JRiver mentioned as the cause, so why expect to get the answer on the forum?
2) The solution you chose was posted by jmone early in the thread, yet still "no thanks to this forum"?

Interesting.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:36:09 am »

Darth B.  I'm glad it is working for you.  It can be hard sometimes to find info on the forum though many times is answer is already there (there have been several of these threads in the last few months - try searching "HDMI Detective" for example), plus it is frustrating if you don't get an answer to a post....

Please keep in mind we are just users like you so we answer when we can and most of the time posts don't go unanswered.  For example, I alone would have discussed this exact issue in over a dozen threads including my impressions when reviewing the Intel GPU,  so... it is great that we have another user around that knows this answer and can help out the next time it this issue is posted.  If you like you could also add some info on the Wiki on the issue of EDID persistence and the the various solutions including the HDMI Detective.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up