INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC for documents - examples of use  (Read 1285 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC for documents - examples of use
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:27 pm »

I wanted to show how versatile MC is when using it for Documents. I fear not too many people bother with this, but it is a fantastic way to replace browsing through folder upon folder to find what you are looking for. Besides, if more people used docs in MC a few more features might be implemented.  (blue text is a link to a screenshot)

Recipes

MC is perfect as a recipe database. I've tried them all, and can't stand dedicated recipe databases that require you to input 3 into one field and then TBS into another. I just want to find my recipes, be able to indicate if I made it or not (I have a "flag" field) and I want it as a text file so that I could add notes whenever I make it.

Here's a look at a basic scheme that displays the custom field Cooking Groups in the top. I selected "Meat" and the files are displayed at the bottom. I get cover art for each recipe. Most online recipes include a picture so I use that. If not, I google and get a picture of something close enough. The thumbnail text is the name and my flag field (favourite, made, to do, etc).

Create a shopping list
You may also note that I have the tag box open to Ingredients (a custom note field). If you need to go shopping, you create a playlist of the recipes you want and you export the playlist using only the Ingredients field. Voila, instant shopping list.

Recipes by Cuisine
I also use the country field and a custom "cuisine" field for another view. In this view I selected Mediterranean. I could double-click on Mediterranean to filter again on Cooking Groups (ie salads, meat, etc).

Recipes by Menu:  When friends come over, I keep track of what I've made for them so that I don't duplicate too often. I also use my custom Menu field to keep track of standard menus like Christmas or Thanksgiving.  

Recipes by Flag:  The final trick up my sleeve is my custom "Flag" field. I use that for all my documents, not just Recipes.  I like to keep track of stuff like whether the recipe has been made, whether it's a favourite, etc.

Just a few more examples of MC with Docs.

Gardening
Keep track of what you've planted this year or last year, etc.
You can go nuts with the Keywords to keep track of stuff like the plant's light and water requirements.

Household
It's also easy enough to keep track of your household stuff for insurance purposes or just to easily find that stove manual, or the make and size of your favourite shoes so that you can buy them online.  (Another good idea is to have a Gifts genre to keep track of what you have given to whom again so as to not duplicate gifts).

DIY Projects
We built a deck a couple of summers ago, and I had lots of deck files: sketchup plans I created, webpages with info about stair riser calculations, and of course, pictures of us building the darn thing.  All deck related things share a tag so that I can easily get all the docs, jpgs, videos, etc required to build another one if I have to.  In this case it's a custom field called "My Projects". Being a woodworker, I have lots of them. In each project I keep the plans, pictures, the hardware I used, etc.

Collections
I have an interest in Screenwriting. I follow lots of blogs and read lots of screenplays.

You can sort your finances (keep all those electronic bills organized), taxes, Trips (hotel info, maps), and anything else you care about finding easily on your computer.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up