INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidecar files  (Read 2356 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Sidecar files
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:29 pm »

I wonder why there is no way to have the jpg and JRSidecar files automatically saved in a specific directory.  I hope this will be added as an option as I hate seing all these files when I navigate directories.

I have moved all the jpg and sidecar files to a new directory via the Reane, Move, and Copy files option (as someone else described) and it seems as though all of the sidecar info remians intact.

Please add an option to automatically save these files in a predetermnined location and/or the option to hide these files.  Having these files saved i the same directory as the media is extrenely annoying although I love the info they provide

Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Sidecar files
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:19:05 pm »

You're going to have problems if you move sidecars around.  I would not recommend it.

There are a bunch of good technical reasons for keeping sidecars next to the file.  It avoids troubles with collisions, handles user deletes nicely, and meshes with existing standards used by subtitles, etc.

If the sidecars bother you, you could browse with Media Center so you don't see them.  Or use Directory Opus, Total Commander, or other Explorer replacement that allows filtering files you don't want to see.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:27:24 pm »

While those are good options, I do not understand why given that JRiver has what seems like thousands of options, having sidecar files and graohics saved to a different location can;t be included in an updated release.  Peersonally, I would also like to see subtitles being saved in a sifferent location as well

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:42:51 pm »

While those are good options, I do not understand why given that JRiver has what seems like thousands of options, having sidecar files and graohics saved to a different location can;t be included in an updated release.  Peersonally, I would also like to see subtitles being saved in a sifferent location as well

The only way to avoid collisions would be to use names that weren't human readable (like database keys or hashes of the full path).

But those schemes lead to problems because if the link to the data gets broken, it's not possible for a human to fix it (they can't read the names).  It also means the data is invisible to other programs.

This is all to say that the complexity and user support for an alternate naming mode is considerable.

A compromise might be to optionally allow sidecars to be hidden (file system hidden attribute).  Would that work?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:13:51 am »

I think that such an option (hide / unhide Sidecar and jpg files) would work.  Manually hiding the files is a hassle and i think would be untenable.

Maybe also a sidecar manager/editor?

I have been using JRiver for only a few days now and am extremely impressed.  I just wish I had the time to really delve into the options.

Thanks for the quick response.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:12 am »

This have been a big question for me as well. And this actually got worse some builds ago when MC forced the movie covers/thumbnails to be stored next to movies as well. This easily doubles, triples and in some cases quadruples the files in each directory.

A compromise might be to optionally allow sidecars to be hidden (file system hidden attribute).  Would that work?

This sounds like a really easy solution to avoid some frustration for those that use explorer to browse the files. It would work very well in my cases. I support it fully!

I would recommend an option to hide sidecar files, as well as one option to hide thumbnails as well. Some might want to hide only one of the things, and some might want to hide it all.
The things actually stored next to the media would be the most essential.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up