INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Drive being eatin' up?!?!? [Solved]  (Read 3969 times)

srwooten

• Recent member
Hard Drive being eatin' up?!?!? [Solved]
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »

As J River 17 plays my SSD loses more and more of its storage. It loses a gig an hour or so. I have a 60 gig SSD with a 2TB USB drive (with my music). I have 17 gigs available on my SSD when I fire up my PC. As I play music through JRiver, my SSD loses aprox a gig per hour and after 15 or 16 hours my available space on my SSD is gone. If I re-start my PC it fixes itself. What's up with this? Please fix this.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Hard Drive being eatin' up?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:16:21 pm »

By chance are you using a Z68 chipset motherboard?
If you are it may be Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) related and you could disable the feature to see if the behavior goes away.
Sean

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:50:28 pm »

Don't know. MB is a M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Does that help? :P

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:25 am »

It is an AMD 880G based board so that rules that idea out.
Are you letting Windows manage virtual memory (the swap file) or have you set a max amount?
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System or right click Computer > Properties
Advanced system settings (left side bar) > Advanced Tab > (Performance) Settings > Advanced > (Virtual memory) Change
Sean

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:55:15 am »

How do I check that? I followed your map, but did not know what to do at the end.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:38 am »

If you are using theaterview with online media slideshow turned on, the slideshow cache will consume up to 1 Gb diskspace over time.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:24 am »

How do I check that? I followed your map, but did not know what to do at the end.
Uncheck Automatically manage paging..... and choose Custom.
Set it to something like 512 for initial and 4096 for maximum.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:58 am »

The page file shouldn't do that on it's own.

I didn't have much to say to help.  I came here mainly to say:

OM nom nom nom nom nom.  ;D

PS.  Sorry, I'm a bit loopy this morning.  Daylight savings time makes me weird.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:57:31 am »

What happens if you move MC's Temp file location to a different drive?  This can be set under Tools > Options > File Locations.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 11:23:39 am »

Glynor nice idea but I don't think it will make a difference since MC uses the temp folder very little.
The Cache folder in C:\User\*username*\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17 can get quite large though.
That is the folder used for Theater View background images and doesn't have a configurable setting that I can find.

One potential way to find where all this additional usage is coming from would be do a search of your C drive and set the
modified date to the current date and look for a folder that has a lot of new files by sorting the results by location.
To do so go to your C drive and enter this datemodified:‎3/‎11/‎2012 in the search bar.
Sean

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:49:12 am »

i use a program named scanner all you have to do is put mouse on graph and it will tell you where space is being used up. (quick note be sure to click your OS drive or it will automatically scan all drives) http://scanner.en.softonic.com/
I recently built/am building a workstation/server. and noticed my ssd's space dropped considerably. most space was being used up by pagefile - 15.9GB, winsxs - 10.7GB, Hiberfil.sys - 11.9GB
I was concerned (Still am, being i've yet to install and use jriver) about the space usage so i started googling and it was recommended not to play with those if using SSD's... Your guys thoughts? http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/7.html

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 12:01:55 pm »

FWIW... Larger SSDs perform way, way better than the little ones, and running two of them in a RAID doesn't help much.  The manufacturers know that, so they always send out the 240-256GB drives for reviews.  Performance on the smaller ones can be 1/2-1/3rd that of the larger ones.

I can barely fit what I need on my 120GB M4 on my server machine (and I have to install some applications, like Adobe CS, onto my auxiliary drive to even manage that).  When I upgrade my HTPC, I'm going with a 240-256GB drive for sure.  I can't even imagine trying to squeeze onto a 60GB drive.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »

Glynor whats your opinion on link i posted and the pagefile - 15.9GB, winsxs - 10.7GB, Hiberfil.sys - 11.9GB? do you leave those alone as link states?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 12:06:33 pm »

That is the folder used for Theater View background images and doesn't have a configurable setting that I can find.

That should still be limited to 1GB max though.  It seems like he is seeing more than that amount of capacity loss.  I'm thinking something is write-locked because it is in-use or due to a permissions problem.  That's all that makes sense if rebooting fixes it (or the page file is going crazy, like you suggested).

Maybe try running CCleaner to clear our your temp files?

And, I think, finding the problem files on disk is a very good idea.  Something like what xtacbyme suggested would be the easiest way.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »

Glynor whats your opinion on link i posted and the pagefile - 15.9GB, winsxs - 10.7GB, Hiberfil.sys - 11.9GB? do you leave those alone as link states?

I leave mine completely set to the defaults on all of my machines.  I've never had a problem.  My pagefile.sys right now is 8GB and my hiberfil.sys is 6.2GB right now (this machine has 8GB of RAM, so that page file is right).  This machine has been running for weeks.  They stay pretty constant.

One of the main benefits of a SSD is getting the page file onto faster storage.  It doesn't make sense to move it to a slow disk.

I've messed around with moving the page file before (long ago) and was never able to find a performance improvement in testing (placebo is another story), and in many cases, it got worse.  It is almost never worth messing with, unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 12:17:29 pm »

if i may ask.. where u putting jrivers thumbs? On my old system i've stored them on a HDD different then Os (totaling 17GB) are you storing them on your SSD OS? or separate drive to conserve space? is this a performance hit having it on Different HDD?

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 01:46:17 pm »

What happens if you move MC's Temp file location to a different drive?  This can be set under Tools > Options > File Locations.

;D This seems to be the fix. Something was eating up about 1 gig per hour. It  would be okay after a restart. I made the change a couple hours ago and I see no obvious ssd memory loss. I'll report back later to confirm. Funny thind is I'm not seeing any loss on the drive I sent the Temp file to either. Good all around hopefully.
14. 9, 1.02
I put those numbers there so I'll remeber when I check later.

Thanks for your help! I'm a HUGE JRiver fan and always try to promote your products because they are GREAT!

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »

i use a program named scanner all you have to do is put mouse on graph and it will tell you where space is being used up. (quick note be sure to click your OS drive or it will automatically scan all drives) http://scanner.en.softonic.com/
I recently built/am building a workstation/server. and noticed my ssd's space dropped considerably. most space was being used up by pagefile - 15.9GB, winsxs - 10.7GB, Hiberfil.sys - 11.9GB
I was concerned (Still am, being i've yet to install and use jriver) about the space usage so i started googling and it was recommended not to play with those if using SSD's... Your guys thoughts? http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/7.html

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »

Funny thind is I'm not seeing any loss on the drive I sent the Temp file to either.

Yep.  There's some sort of weird permissions issue on the SSD.

When you installed that SSD, did you do a clean install, or did you migrate over from an already-running system using cloning software of some kind?

I mean, if moving the cache works, then you might be able to ignore it.  But it shouldn't have been eating up the space in the first place.  I'm thinking it was creating the temp files it uses, but was unable to delete them as it should have been.

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 10:57:35 pm »

It was a new SSD. I installed it, then installed Windows 7, then imported my back-up from my old Windows 7.

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 05:20:00 pm »

;D Everything seems to be working correctly now. Many thanks.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
Re: Hard Drive being eatin' up?!?!? [Solved]
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »

A good guide to managing your SSD and configuring Windows for an SSD C drive in the links below.  I've put in links to the handier parts of the guide but you might consider reading it from the beginning.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-setup-secrets-and-tune-up-tweaks/2910?pg=2

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-cutting-your-system-drive-down-to-size/2941?tag=content;siu-container

I found this advice to be useful and followed it pretty much as suggested about 4 months ago on my 120GB SSD.  (And yes I would like a bigger one, but I had to live in my budget too.)

FastKayak / Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up