INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The proposal for the creation of modules room for correction by measuring  (Read 2424 times)

Forgisound

• Recent member

JRiver developers congratulations on a great software, which is indispensable to me.
Since, like most, I not have an ideal listening room (has standing waves and reflections), experimenting with Room Correction and Parametric Equalizer options.
The results are better than playing with a purist, but not ideal, since the correction is entered manually, and approx.
It would be great to create a module that could do room correction using a measurement microphone and software. This module can be sold together with the Media Player, or separately as a plug-in.
Sorry, English is not my strong point, I hope you understand.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Room Equalization Wizard is free and works well for creating filters that can be entered into JRiver's Parametric Equalizer. Currently you can't directly import the filters and they have to be manually entered, but someday there might be import or auto import. To do the measurements you need to use the loopback feature of JRiver.

Forgisound

• Recent member

I use to measure the ARTA software http://www.artalabs.hr/, but now I will try REW, seems to be quite suitable for room correction.
Tnx, Mojave  :)

btw. If you are using the DSP from the Media Center to assess, whether the use of the DSP and any negative connotations to the sound? The sound is getting better, "killing" unnecessary processes and services. Can the sound become worse when using the DSP software? I did not hear that kind of sound difference. What do you think about it?

Trismos

• Recent member

Room Equalization Wizard is free and works well for creating filters that can be entered into JRiver's Parametric Equalizer. Currently you can't directly import the filters and they have to be manually entered, but someday there might be import or auto import. To do the measurements you need to use the loopback feature of JRiver.

Really?? Please advise if there is a thread or some more information elsewhere on this. I've had REW sitting on my laptop for a while now with no idea how to use it, nevermind that I might be able to use it with JR. Awesome!!

Regards
Dave

ccclapp

• Junior Woodchuck

To do the measurements you need to use the loopback feature of JRiver.

Hi mojave

Have you run live REW sweeps using MC loopback?  I want to use this for before/after convolution measurements in REW.  My concern is that loopback might add delay, phase shifts and other time-domain issues.  I know I can record sweeps and playback in MC w convolution applied, using the RTA in REW, but one cant get full measurements what way, eg no waterfalls, etc.

Have you determined that loopback does not hurt the live measurement and will yield meaningful before/after comparison measurements?

Thanks
--Caleb

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I have done live measurements with REW. I have only compared the frequency response of the loopback through REW vs just using REW directly and it is identical. I didn't check the phase or anything else. I plan to measure some stuff in the next week or two so I will compare measurements more closely between with or without JRiver in the playback chain. I wouldn't be able to check for delay, but it shouldn't matter anyway since you can change the latency of ASIO hardware to vary the delay with no problems during playback.

ccclapp

• Junior Woodchuck

I have done live measurements with REW. I have only compared the frequency response of the loopback through REW vs just using REW directly and it is identical. I didn't check the phase or anything else. I plan to measure some stuff in the next week or two so I will compare measurements more closely between with or without JRiver in the playback chain. I wouldn't be able to check for delay, but it shouldn't matter anyway since you can change the latency of ASIO hardware to vary the delay with no problems during playback.

Ill likely try some measurements tomorrow...
Just now I confirmed I get a good signal from REW through MC in loopback (no stutters, clicks, pops).  MC  Playback Options is setto WASPI Eventstyle with hardware buffer at anything from 10-100 ms to my firewire Mytek 8x192 DAC.  If I use ASIO instead of WASPI I get stutter.  I assume I should use the least possible buffer, or does it matter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also assume it doesn't matter what sound device should be set to default for REW to play on (to be looped back to MC).   

Do you know REW well enough to suggest what graph I should inspect to determine of Im getting any additional delay, phase shifts, etc from loopback that harms by before/after comparison?

Also, do you know why most have said we can only use REW RTA, not MC loopback, to inspect before vs after results??  It seems to me the way to do it is via MC loopback, unless there are issues that arent apparent.

PS:  Since I posted this elsewhere, Ill report these findings there as well..

Thanks
--Caleb

BradC

• World Citizen

You can use REW in stereo mode with one channel measuring the mic and the other channel measuring the soundcard output. In this mode it will do all the latency correction itself.

It's a good way to measure speaker delays.

It will also aleviate your concerns with the latency of the loopback and and filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up