INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver on multiple systems  (Read 29532 times)

Hollingshead

• Recent member
Using JRiver on multiple systems
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:00:09 pm »

Just started playing with JRiver as a replacement for Windows Media Center. I have a wired network with a Windows Home Server 2011, three client PC's running Windows 7 and a shifting cast of wireless notebooks, tablets, phones, etc. Currently I have JRiver running on the client PC that is connected to the entertainment stack- TV, AV receiver, etc. Still exploring, but pretty impressed. Love how fast the library loads. But now I'm wondering how best to set it up if I make it the standard. 1st- Does one license allow me to install it on all the wired PC's? Should I install it on the server in Library server mode and then let the PC's talk to it? I gather from the forum that there are issues getting WHS to let JRiver run as a service so it is always available, but one of your posters seems to have found a workaround. Why is that better than letting all 3 PC's run JRiver and just use the server as a fileserver?

Sorry for so many questions, but I couldn't figure it out from your FAQ. Thanks.

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using JRiver on multiple systems
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »

You can install JRiver in all your machines with one license, (thanks JRiver!)
There are some people who use library server + Clients and other people who use different librarys pointing to the same network location. Do a forum search or wait an expert here :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Hollingshead

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »

Thanks for help with the license issue. Good news.

I've noticed that people on the forums use both configurations. I was hoping to get some advice as to which is better. I'm assuming there are pro's and con's to both setups.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:47 pm »

While I'm far from an expert, I use Library Server without client PCs updating the server so that others in my household don't inadvertently make changes to the library. If I want to make any library changes/playlists, I do so from the server PC. They are then available on any of the client PCs (4 other PCs).

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:46 am »

While I'm far from an expert, I use Library Server without client PCs updating the server so that others in my household don't inadvertently make changes to the library. If I want to make any library changes/playlists, I do so from the server PC. They are then available on any of the client PCs (4 other PCs).
This is pretty much what I do.  I have the library server running on my WHS.  I RDP to the server to make any changes to the library.  When I am done I just close the RDP session, leaving me logged on and Media Server running.

Hollingshead

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:27 am »

Ah, so the advantage to a client server arrangement is that I can control updates to the library. I can see that.

Are there drawbacks to that arrangement, or are there other advantages to making them all peers?

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:16:17 pm »

The advantage of using clients connecting to the library server is the meta data sync. Play counters, number skips, last played and all of that are synced between the clients and server. The negative about this is that is only works for one person. If you listen or watch different things then you can't relay that much on play counters etc. Also remember that there are a few limitations on what is synced back to the server. Meta data for media is generally synced. So you can edit much on the clients. But when it comes to changing file names, adding cover art, editing views, importing on a client etc, you are out of luck. This things needs to be done on the server.

I use library server today. But if I had my own family and there were several users I would have to think of something else. Perhaps using multiple libraries on the server, or using some local installs on clients for specific purposes and syncing media. It would be kind of a nightmare imo. I hope this is sorted out before I get demanding children :D
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:43:45 am »

So, I have a related question:
I use a Synology NAS (DS410) to house all my music, and it also houses my cover art folder location, etc for MC.  I currently use MC with my home office setup and do all my metadata tagging and detailed work there.  I initially got into MC cuz I am going to soon build a CAPS V2 music server and run it in the big rig room, and wanted to get used to MC as I hadn't used it before with my MAc or Linux servers; I fell in love with it.  :)   So.....when I put MC on my headless CAPS V2 server (btw, do I buy a new license or use the same one) and point it to the same NAS, what is the advantage, instead, to make my home office MC a library server?  Synching play counts and last used? (Not of interest to me)  or am I not thinking of other common MC files and folders I haven't centralized yet?  Thx  Ted

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 11:13:01 am »

You do not need another license for a normal amount of computers within a household. This have at least been JRiver normal response in the past.

If you just need to use MC on one computer, then you use just that. One local library. It's simple. You can still activate the library server functions to access tings like playback and control with android devices or web interface on that PC. It does not have to be a real server.

The advantage of a library server comes when you use more than one client, and want just maintain the library one place. Stats or not, this also applies to imports and tagging, bookmarks and so on. You can save some time and trouble this way. But there are also a few drawbacks. As updating cover art for one. This needs to be done on the server. Clients synchronizes tags that are stored in the files or in side car files. Not much else.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:10 am »

Thanks, but what advantages to tagging specifically?  Are you saying that if i don't use a library server that any tags I do on my centralized music (NAS-based) from my home computer MC may not be seen by the main rigs MC accessing the same music?  Are you saying tags are stored elsewhere, other than the music files, and the main rigs MC will not have them?  Also, as an audiophile I'd rather not have my main rigs MC streaming through paths unnecessary.  Thanks...

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:41:33 pm »

Library server does not mean that the music goes through another path. It's played directly from the client as long as the media are placed on a share accessed by the client as well as the server. You can also choose what the server will do with the files if a share is not used. Sound quality wise it would be just the same. You can probably argue otherwise with some crazy theories, but I don't care :P

For music files that CAN store tags in them, you should be able to use several local libraries, and the libraries would update the tag info in the files, and MC clients would pick up the changes after a short time. IF you set the library fields to store the tag info in the files when possible. Check the library management options. I'm not sure how files that can not be tagged are done. Perhaps they can use sidecar files with the tag info, but I've only seen this for video so far.

If you ONLY think about a files internal tags, you might very well do fine without a server. But when you start changing paths or the actual file name, or doing some cover art changes, you might end up with some problems. Other than that, you'll probably be fine. I'm not sure though! You'll just have to try it. But I think you'll be spending some time scratching you're head. I've just never ever seen the reason why not centralize things and make it easier and safer. One place for tagging, backup, play stats synced, one place to do the settings and so on. For me, it's just not an alternative to do it on each client.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 04:48:43 pm »

OK thanks.  Good things to think about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up