INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dual audio output possible with MC17?  (Read 4340 times)

THX-UltraII

• Recent member
dual audio output possible with MC17?
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:10 pm »

I m looking for dual audio output for D-Box HTPC users. Let me try to explain:

a D-Box system is a system which is simply said a moving seating during movies (http://www.d-box.com). The seating get s it signal from a D-Box decoder (D-Box MCI-2P). This (pc-based) D-Box decoder needs to receive the ORIGINAL core dts/dd signal via optical spdif input in order to work. One can use a simple SPDIF audio card (like the Creative X-Fi surround 5.1 usb). You can connect the spdif output of the audio card to the spdif input of the d-box decoder and from the d-box decoder spdif output you connect the decoder to your avr. Simple as that eh? Of course this way you cannot enjoy dts-ma/true-hd audio.

Over the past years D-Box users have looked for a HTPC solution to be able to use d-box and high-res audio at the same time. Some cable extractors where tried but it never worked (it did not work because the condition of the D-Box decoder is that it needs to receive the UNALTERED core dd/dts signal and with such extraction cables the HDMI dts-ma/truehd signal was converted to dts/dd and so it was an altered signal which makes the d-box decoder not recognize the signal).

So in all these years d-box users who wanted to have d-box and high res. audio simultanuously needed to use non pc player like the Dune or Oppo players which support audio over HDMI and optical toslink at the same time.

d-box always said they where working a a HDMI decoder but it never came......

A few month ago there was a breakthrough and a d-box user on the AVS forum managed to get it working on a HTPC. He created his own (altered) version of Media Player Classic Home Cinema and LAV filters http://htpcfordbox.over-blog.com/article...40282.html). With his software d-box users can now enjoy d-box and high res. audio with a htpc. All you need is a videocard that supports DTS-MA/TurHD via HDMI out (all cards does this these days) and a second installed audio card (like the Creative X-Fi surround 5.1 usb) with optical output However, the author does not update his MPC-HC/LAV versions anymore and there has been quite a few new versions of MPC-HC and LAV filters with important fixes.

In short :):
What I m looking for is dual audio output simultanously:
- output1 HDMI (NVIDIA GTX460 or just another random card but I use that one) with DTS-MA/True-HD audio
- output2 with DTS/DD core via optical out of second audio card (like my Creative X-Fi surround 5.1)

Can MC17 do this?

Thanks for all input and sorry for my bad English!!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: dual audio output possible with MC17?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »

I'm not aware of outputting to two devices at once.

However, it's easy enough to output 5.1 and two channels for shakers on an 8 channel card.  Or you can buy a 16 channel card and output the 7.1 and have plenty of channels left over for shakers.

In Media Center, you use Parametric Equalizer to move channels, low-pass, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

THX-UltraII

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:05:52 am »

I'm not aware of outputting to two devices at once.

However, it's easy enough to output 5.1 and two channels for shakers on an 8 channel card.  Or you can buy a 16 channel card and output the 7.1 and have plenty of channels left over for shakers.

In Media Center, you use Parametric Equalizer to move channels, low-pass, etc.

no, this won t work. D-Box are not just shakers that depend on the lfe signal. The D-Box decoder needs the direct unaltered lossless dts/dd 5.1 core signal. Please download the (free) MPC-HC and LAV filters you can find in the link I provided and you ll see what I mean.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:46:25 am »

I'm not sure how JRiver handles movie audio for multiple zones. With music one can play to many zones and audio devices simultaneously.

Maybe a second zone could be set up called D-Box and then have Output Format set to output as Dolby Digital and have the audio device for the D-Box zone set as SPDIF. This would allow decoding of the TrueHD/DTS-HD for the main zone which would be the speakers/subwoofer. The decoded audio would then be re-encoded to DD and sent to the D-Box.

Have you tried using the LAV filters for D-Box in JRiver?

Quote from: THX-UltraII
However, the author does not update his MPC-HC/LAV versions anymore and there has been quite a few new versions of MPC-HC and LAV filters with important fixes.[/url]
New builds were released yesterday per the AVS D-Box thread

THX-UltraII

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 04:11:09 am »

Maybe a second zone could be set up called D-Box and then have Output Format set to output as Dolby Digital and have the audio device for the D-Box zone set as SPDIF. This would allow decoding of the TrueHD/DTS-HD for the main zone which would be the speakers/subwoofer. The decoded audio would then be re-encoded to DD and sent to the D-Box
thxz! could you tell me how to config this second 'd-box' zone?

Have you tried using the LAV filters for D-Box in JRiver?
No not yet because I did not buy JRiver MC yet because I first need to know for sure that it supports the specific dual audio option I need.

Hope you guys can help me out on this.

THX-UltraII

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:38:43 am »

No ideas anyone?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:14:33 pm »

MC17 has a free trial so you can see if you can get it up and running before you buy. TBH it's a really specific issue so I don't think many people are familiar with the problem. Your original link to the modified LAV filters is dead, so it's hard to tell if MC would be able to utilize it correctly. Regardless, you should have no problems getting MC to use the filters.

THX-UltraII

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:24:34 am »

Thxz for your reply. If the dual-audio-setup (zones) in MC17 works for my setup then I don t need the altered LAV version so I ll just give it a try. Is there a guide somewhere how to config MC17 for what I want?
Pages: [1]   Go Up