INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Internal Volume to Reference Level Request  (Read 3075 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Setting Internal Volume to Reference Level Request
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:59:27 am »

Music is mixed at various levels and there is no standard for volume level. However, movies have the audio mixed to meet a uniform set of  guidelines and are all supposed to be mixed at a certain reference level.

When you calibrate the audio using any modern receiver you set 0 on the volume control to match the playback of test tones at a certain volume. 0 then becomes the reference level and your volume control can then show either below or above reference. The Disney WOW: World of Wonder calibration disc is just one example of a calibration disc and it is designed for setting Reference Level (or 0 on the volume control) to 83 dB.

When I calibrated my system using the Blu-ray, Reference Level was at 87% (-6.5dB) on JRiver's internal volume. My surrounds are very inefficient and I just received some surrounds that are 11 dB more efficient. This should put my Reference Level at about 65% (-17.5 dB).

I request three things:

1.  I would like an internal volume setting where we can say, "Set Reference Level to X%" and the dB reading for volume then uses that for calculating the level above or below 0. For example, I could put "Set Reference Level to 87%" and when the volume slider is at 87% it would read 0dB, at 100% it would read +6.5 dB and at 50% it would read -18.5 dB.

2.  Regardless of the reference level change, I would like the volume indicator in Theater View to read dB levels instead of %.

3.  I would like an option to set the maximum volume to a certain %. For example, set maximum volume to 87%. This could be part of Volume Protection. This way the kids would never be able to play music or movies too loud on a system with high sensitivity. It would also be helpful for Party Mode.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Setting Internal Volume to Reference Level Request
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 04:45:15 pm »

Good ideas.

Next build:
NEW: Added 'Options > Audio > Volume > Maximum volume' for enforcing a maximum level that Media Center will be capable of setting.
NEW: Added 'Options > Audio > Volume > Internal volume reference level' for specifying what volume level is shown as +0.0dB (all other volumes will be reported relative to that reference level).
Changed: Volume settings are available in Options > Audio > Volume (and also still available in Menu > Player > Volume or by clicking the icon next to the volume slider).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:00:34 pm »

Thanks, Matt!!  8)

stewart_pk

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 06:59:09 pm »

Also, please please add an option to set Volume Protection! At the moment it's defaulted to something like 10-20 percent?
Pages: [1]   Go Up