INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adjusting timing of zones is not working  (Read 1640 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
adjusting timing of zones is not working
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:41:22 pm »

Well, it's "working" in that the adjustment changes the timing, but it's not "right"

I started playing music in the zone called "Patio".  I then linked that to the zone called "Living Room", and the songs were about a second apart.  I opened the timing adjustment, slid it to the left about 500ms, and it was closer, but not quite right still.  It was too far to the left, so I went back to the right.  I kept adjusting, little by little, while standing between the zones to hear, and finally got it perfectly synced.  I walked in to see how much it needed adjusted, and it was at zero.  Back to exactly where it started, with no adjustment at all!  But after this process, it was now perfectly in sync between both zones.

I let it play for a few hours, and occasionally, it would be out of sync again, sometimes by quite a bit, at least a 1/2 second, but several songs later, perfectly in sync again.

Not the biggest of problems, but one that I would like to see fixed someday :)
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: adjusting timing of zones is not working
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:51:31 pm »

Are both zones local, native zones talking to a soundcard / DAC on that machine?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:54:54 pm »

Yes, both zones are connected from the HTPC to the Yamaha AVR

The Living Room zone is HDMI into the AVR (HDMI 1), and is the zone I use for most everything, including videos and TV.

The Patio zone is connected to the same AVR, but with a pair of audio cables to an analog input (AV5).

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

I know this isn't a big priority, nor should it be, but we had some people over last night, and this was mentioned a few times.  Hopefully it's an easy fix  :D

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:50:44 pm »

I too have had a lot of trouble trying to get the timing correct.  I have a bedroom PC with speakers, running MC with a library loaded from the lounge server, running MC of course, which is connected to TV and receiver via hdmi.  Connected via gigabit lan.

No matter what I did with the syncing, i couldn't get these two pc's in sync, or if I did and I pressed pause, they would restart at different times.   It seemed that I had to press pause for the sync offset to engage, but maybe I wasn't patient enough, and that of course meant that they would then restart at different random times (i.e. sometimes the PC was first, and server second, sometimes the other way around).  It was like they needed a bigger buffer to ensure that they could start together.  After that, the syncing offset would just be for sound travel time.

Anyway I just gave up as it was not that important to me at the time.

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up