INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View thumbnails [FEEDBACK WANTED]  (Read 8646 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Theater View thumbnails [FEEDBACK WANTED]
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »

The drop-shadow effect used on thumbnails in Theater View is mostly lost on the default black skin (image #1).

Our graphic designer recommended a different edge treatment (image #2).

She also recommended limiting text to one line (image #3).

Thoughts?

#1:

#2:

#3:
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Theater View thumbnails [FEEDBACK WANTED]
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:51 pm »

Also like it that the album covers are all the same size.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:18:23 pm »

I can't tell that there are or are not drop shadows (although some of this might be because the Aero glass back grounds are different between #1 & #2)  Looking at the skin I use on my workstation (Xplain's blue puzzle) I would not miss the drop shadows with that skin either.

+1 on all album covers are the same size. 

+1 on the big'ish font for reading far away but not so happy that only 13 characters in the name display; really makes longer names difficult to figure out - is the font sized fixed or for longer names could you get two lines of smaller text in while keeping the album art size fixed??  (Not sure I would like that or not....I would have to see an example.)

FastKayak / Larry

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:21:03 pm »

+1 on the big'ish font for reading far away but not so happy that only 13 characters in the name display; really makes longer names difficult to figure out - is the font sized fixed or for longer names could you get two lines of smaller text in while keeping the album art size fixed??  (Not sure I would like that or not....I would have to see an example.)

Maybe if the full text showed when highlighted?

Personally, I don't need the text that often. Most of the time I can tell what album it is just from the picture.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:39 pm »

I like #3 for the covers being the same size but would prefer the title info from #1
The Future is Remote!

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »

Also like it that the album covers are all the same size.

I agree: #3

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:46 pm »

#3 only without the Drop Shadow change. I like the uniform size but the border/drop shadow is lost on thumbs that are lighter in color which takes away from the uniformity IMHO.
Maybe add the selection border to all items and have it change color when hovered/highlighted.

Sean

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:01:28 pm »

The thin white edge in #2 looks like graphics artifacts.

I like Scolex's selection borders.

Drop the drop shadows - they are so yesterday.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:56 pm »

I like no 3.

On an other note, this is typicly stuff I would like to see customizable in a skin section. Dropshadow, border, border-width, border-color etc.

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »

Heeey... I suggested change number 3 in my big Theater View thread last year :D So, a big YES from me. I really don't like that the thumbs have different size, and apparently not many other people either. It just seems off. If this should be the default or not, perhaps it would be smart to make an option to switch between one or two line captions (default One line, optional two lines)? As I mentioned in the other thread, two lines CAN be highly useful for several goodies in the future, if and when the caption system is a bit more refined (configurable items & text with different alignment/placements).

I do not have a big opinion of the Shadow of the thumbs. Would not care much if it was dropped either.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 03:52:38 pm »

I also like #3 for the covers being the same size but would prefer the title info from #1, the font size being a little bit smaller

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »

Titles would be mostly useless with #3. I like titles so I'd prefer smaller font and/or two lines

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:11:51 pm »

I like #3 as well - but maybe smaller (or ajustable) font so more title will show.

NickF

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »

The different sized thumbnails in 1 & 2 look terribly messy.  I agree with others that the shadow is really not visible and is unnecessary.  The different edge treatment in 2 really isn't noticeable.  I prefer the Scolex treatment.  Two lines of text is essential.  As this is a scrollable format, the extra line of text is no real penalty for the additional clarity it gives.  Remember, this is a 10 foot interface so text must be a reasonable size.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »

Based on feedback above, here's a #4.  It shrinks spacing between thumbs, uses a smaller text size (same as secondary roller), and always leaves two lines for captions.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NickF

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »

Much better.  I still like the subtle outlining in Scolex's solution.  Can we have something like that?  The current placement on the black background is rather harsh.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 05:05:58 pm »

I still like the subtle outlining in Scolex's solution.  Can we have something like that?  The current placement on the black background is rather harsh.
Please, no! It's far from subtle :) It looks terrible with all those frames to be honest.

I like both suggestion 3 (with smaller text like #4) and #4 as it is. I would still very much like to be able to change between them though. Some will just not care for the missing text, and would rather have bigger images. Some would like to sacrifice the slightly smaller images for more caption.

One other thing. Looking at the new suggested drop shadow. I'm not so sure. It actually makes a frame on the whole image. And that is kind of bad for the purists out there. If I had a black cover, I would like it to be black. Not a black cover with a gray border.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 05:10:55 pm »

Looks good to me. I'm okay with or without the boarder. The text size looks right.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 05:14:18 pm »

I don't have an opinion about the border, but the 4th option is best to me.  all thumbs the same size, but enough letters to get most titles easily.
pretend this is something funny

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:09 pm »

+1 for either caption option that ensures thumbs are the same size.

Hopefully the same will be adopted for video.

PS - my music and home video thumbs are significantly smaller than the ones used for audio, movies etc. would be good if they received the same treatment as other media subtypes.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 05:25:03 pm »

MrHaugen
I can see some people not liking my idea but here is the beauty of such a setup it is done with a *layered* image and is incredibly easy to customize.
If you don't want the border visible when not selected you leave that layer empty. With a setup like this options are virtually limitless.
Below is a 2 state example of such an image the left half being "normal" and the right half being "selected".
Sean

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »

+1 #3 Scolex version...
Maybe add the selection border to all items and have it change color when hovered/highlighted.

Really like those borders as well around all the art.. it gives it more of a 3Dimensional look. like they are floating.

Thats one thing i'd like to see more in theaterview.. Different colors for different selections. sometime tough to see if something is playing now with the like glass/frosting. colored frosting would be sharp. bright led green, blue something every one likes/ or better yet customizable, where we can choose the color of the highlight, to fit our custom skins

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:03 pm »

LOL someone who has the SKILLS could hook up xbox 360 kinect, to there HTPC/ 3D HDTV system. and could use hands gestures to move/slide the cover arts  as if they were just in air (if theme / covers were designed in 3d)

kk done Dreaming...lol

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 06:25:24 pm »

#4 Definitley my favourite
Often I find one line of text is no where near enough if you're looking at items with grouped names at all.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 06:28:57 pm »

Now, #4

Daydream

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

Scolex said 'layered image' and virtually limitless options. Therefore his thinking gets my vote.

MrHaugen

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 01:42:17 am »

Thats one thing i'd like to see more in theaterview.. Different colors for different selections. sometime tough to see if something is playing now with the like glass/frosting. colored frosting would be sharp. bright led green, blue something every one likes/ or better yet customizable, where we can choose the color of the highlight, to fit our custom skins
Why would people mix in different colors in this?  Leave that to the skinning department and hope that JRiver adds the ability to customize this through skin creation.

Layered images and all the options in the world.... I do not see that many use cases?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 02:22:26 am »

+1 for #4.  :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 05:04:50 am »

The space between the covers are actually bigger in number 4 than it is in number 3. Number 4 will give you lots of wasted screen area. Especially when this is applied to video covers I suspect. More space on the sides due to the smaller covers and more text. It looks like the space used for text have actually been widened, which makes the selection box bigger. That is not great. The drop shadow effect is making changes to the whole thumbnail, so I do not like that either.

My suggestion still stands:

- Make Two or One line caption an option switch (two lines gives more text and more dead space, one line gives less space but bigger pictures and less unused space)
- Consider using the same size on text for captions and info panels (looks a bit off otherwise).
- Drop the shadows on covers. It messes up dark covers.

Sorry for being so negative. I hope you take it in the constructive way it's meant though. These are important changes, so they should be carefully selected.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 06:39:05 am »

#4 Has my vote, by far the most practical.
The Future is Remote!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 07:28:58 am »

#4, but ....

Does it have to be a fixed layout? If we should have learned one thing from all the discussions on layout and eye candy, its that everyone has his own opinion and preference. Why not make it customizable? Like an option to choose from several options on a scheme?

One with 1 line of text, one with 2 and one without, turn on/off borders and drop shadows. Those kind of things.

On albums, I prefer to browse without album title text (I look at the covers) and slightly bigger thumbs than on artists for instance. I don't always recognize the artist photos so their name is mandarory.

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:53 am »

I also browse by cover so I like the title-text very small (just as a backup if I don't recognize the cover).
But as mentioned:
Customizable? Make it so!  :)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:43 am »

Since by now it's obvious that you can please some of the people some of the time, but never all the people all the time:

Customizable? Make it so!  :)

Suggest you take what seems to be the most popular version and make it the default. For those that want something different allow them to change it.

My vote is for #4 BTW.

Thanks for asking.

Rod

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:24 am »

As someone who posted several times in the various eye candy and related threads I am for more / full customization.  Yup, you bet'cha

But if JRiver decides to do that, I am guessing it would be a major feature over haul, and would, at best, be in version 18.

So, for version 17 #4 is a great improvement.  Like one of the other posters mentioned, it would be good to have some similar examples for video and images and the like.  Those views need layout improvements too.

If, by chance, it is possible to allow for some choice in views in version17 then  +1 for InflatableMouse.  Put in an option to let us pick the one we find most appealing.

FastKayak / Larry

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:38 am »

#4 without the shadow. Shadowing is so 2009.

Look at the flat approach google has taken recently...it looks much more modern and functional.

audioriver

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »

#4 without the shadow. Shadowing is so 2009.

Look at the flat approach google has taken recently...it looks much more modern and functional.

+1
Windows 10 Pro x64

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 06:50:05 pm »

#4.

whenever I look at these views, it always struck me that there was too much blank space around the images.  I am guessing that you can't close up the horizontal space because you have ensured an integer number vertically.  What would it look like if you instead set the view to fill horizontally with limited space and then have a half cut off image vertically above/below (indicating that the list continues?).

scolex's option makes the screen feel more well used, though I am not sure I would say I prefer it.

craig

pcstockton

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:55 pm »

Am i blind if #1, #2 and #3 look identical to me?

What is this drop shadow you speak of?

Thanks,
patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »

Am i blind if #1, #2 and #3 look identical to me?

What is this drop shadow you speak of?

Thanks,
patrick

Well I wouldn't say blind maybe sight impaired or not very observant. ;)
The differences:
1 & 2 look at the darker covers the difference is more pronounced, notice the white glow around them in #2
1/2 use two lines for text when needed which effects the thumb size and 3 uses a single line so the thumbs remain consistent
4 uses two lines for text when needed but also reserves the space for 2 lines even when not needed.

The drop shadow (dark gray) is barely visible with the dark background (#1) which is why is was changed to what I call a glow since it is white/light gray.
Sean

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 08:38:11 pm »

#4, Its always bugged me when looking at movie thumbnails that they vary in size based on one or two lines of text below.

pcstockton

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 09:21:24 pm »

Well I wouldn't say blind maybe sight impaired or not very observant. ;)

Thanks for that.

Yes I obviously see the lines of text difference.  I just couldn't see a difference in the thumbs.  Now, upon closer inspection, i see a tiny thin white border around #2 and #3.  is this the drop shadow you speak of? You can only see it on dark covers so i missed it.  I figured I was missing the big picture since the change is so subtle I cant imagine people even noticing it.

Why is it called a drop shadow?  I figured this was the reflection of the art (dropping below the image) you see in some views.

I like two rows of text FYI.  And #4.   But I have to admit I dont like the drop shadows.  They almost appear to be a graphics error or something.  Definitely like the same size thumbs.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 01:02:27 am »

Thanks for that.

Yes I obviously see the lines of text difference.  I just couldn't see a difference in the thumbs.  Now, upon closer inspection, i see a tiny thin white border around #2 and #3.  is this the drop shadow you speak of?

The drop shadow is only in #1 as far as Im concerned, unless Im visually impaired too ;). It's dimmed border only 2 sides and it makes the covers stand out a little bit like they are floating. It's not very obvious because the background is dark.

The others have a tiny border. Personally I'd rather have no borders but its so minimalistic I guess its oke :).

MrHaugen

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

Correct. The later suggestions adds a border, which i do not like. It messes with the look of the covers. If a cover is back, it's supposed to be like this. Even in a media center.
I still don't see much drop shadows. Probably because of the dark skin. But anyway, I think it's a huge waste to spend time on this. Better leave it out. There's so many that either does not care or don't like the effects these changes are giving.

Castius

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 02:27:32 am »

+4

I can go either on the border.
I think it does help the drop shadow. But I never noticed ether so i don't need it.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 02:30:08 am »

I still don't see much drop shadows. Probably because of the dark skin. But anyway, I think it's a huge waste to spend time on this. Better leave it out. There's so many that either does not care or don't like the effects these changes are giving.

You don't see a drop shadow in 2/3/4 because there isn't one, I know it is only semantics but those versions have an outer glow not a drop shadow.
I agree that it is an unnecessary change though.
The uniform thumbnail size is quite welcome, now if there were only a way to make artist image downloads all the same aspect ratio so they would
have the same uniformity we would be set for this aspect of MC.
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up