INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't add new folders. Recovering from the HD failure still  (Read 9093 times)

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck

I've got everything almost setup at normal again after HD failure.  I had a few Unassigned files (actually whole albums) so instead of renaming everything I deleted them from MC and my drive.  Then I added them again w/all info back to C Drive.  Now MC won't let me import the files/folders.  It says I deleted them before.  What do I do to get them back on?
Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River (Current)> Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo M Scaler>Wave Stream dual BNC >Chord Hugo TT 2 > DCA Stealth

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: I can't add new folders. Recovering from the HD failure still
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »

When you do the import uncheck the "Ignore files previously removed from library" option
Sean

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:34:08 pm »

I do un-check that box and nothing happens.  A window pops up and tells me how many files I have and that zero files were added.  File>Library>Import>Import single folder..........nada.  I'm doing something wrong but can't figure it out!
Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River (Current)> Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo M Scaler>Wave Stream dual BNC >Chord Hugo TT 2 > DCA Stealth

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:41:48 pm »

When you select import are you selecting the extensions you want to import?
Sean

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:45:26 pm »

I check Audio and Image boxes.  Am I supposed to check others?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:19 pm »

Only if you are trying to import items other than audio and images. I didn't figure that was what it was but when frustration sets in we are all prone for forgetting the simple things so I gave it a shot.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:30:58 pm »

Hmmm.... It should NOT be doing that, but I've seen something similar in the past.  Perhaps something is a little broken again in Auto-Import land with the Ignore previously removed setting.  In any case, do this:

1. Make a new Smartlist and call it Deleted Items (or something similar).
2. With the Edit Smartlist dialog open, hit the Import/Export button.
3. Paste this into the rules data dialog that appears:
~d=r ~sort=[Filename]
4. Say OK, OK and look at your new smartlist.

You should see your files in the list (I sorted it by filename, so they'll sort like they are on your C drive or whatever).

Find them in the list, select them, and delete them again.  When it asks, pick "Remove from Media Library" (NOT one of the "and send to or and delete" options).  That should get them out of MC's "memory" and make it re-import them like they're fresh and new.  Let us know if this happens though, because assuming that Ignore previously removed files option really is deselected for the folder they're now in under Auto-Import, then this shouldn't happen and maybe something is broken.

If after you do those steps, you DON'T find the files in the list, then it is likely that MC has actually re-imported them, but imported them with the same old "bad" metadata (unknown [Media Type] probably) as before.  If this is the case, ask and we can help you get that sorted quickly and painlessly.

This is possible precisely because MC does track the files it deletes after it deletes them, using that special "hidden" database that I just showed you how to "see".  When you import a brand new file, MC analyzes it and decides what kind of file it is and does all sorts of other work to get it imported.  But, if you delete a file, but then later re-import that same file, MC checks this deleted items database for two reasons.  First, it checks it to see if it should re-import it at all in the first place.  If you have the "Ignore previously removed" option turned on, then it doesn't at all and the file is ignored.  Second, if "Ignore previously removed" is turned off, then MC restores the information from that deleted record instead of re-importing the file from scratch (and re-doing the analysis and all of that).  This makes sure you don't lose any intentionally set metadata that wasn't (for whatever reason) explicitly written to the files' tags, and it also makes the re-import process quicker and less painful on system resources (every little bit helps).

But, it could have bitten you here.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:47 pm »

PS. Having this Deleted Items Smartlist* is very handy for this exact task.  If you just want to remove a file from MC, and then have it re-import the file "like new", what you need to do is this:

1. Turn off Auto-Import.  If you don't, it might beat you to re-importing the files before you get to step 3 (or while you are 1/2 way through).
2. Remove the files from MC.
3. Go to the Deleted items Smartlist (or View if you made one) and find them and delete them from there too.
4. Run Auto-Import Now (and/or just turn Auto back on).

That makes MC re-import files as though they are fresh and clean.  Just deleting them and re-importing them doesn't (always) work.

* I actually make mine into a view so that I can filter them and whatnot.  Mine looks like this:

Click to embiggen.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »

I never knew about that feature and want to remember it. *bookmarked*
That is the type of thing that needs to be in a Tips and Tricks thread like you spoke of in the beginner forum proposal thread.
Sean

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »

Under your Everything view group (or any view that includes All databases), try creating a panes view, and as the first column, use the expression:

FileDBLocation()
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:09 pm »

I've got to go to sleep here.  Brain won't work.  How do I start the smartlist?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:49 pm »

In standard view expand playlists in the tree and then select smartlist and at the top of the main file window select the new smartlist button in the smartlist window click the import/export button at the bottom and paste the expression glynor posted above.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:17:59 pm »

I've got to go to sleep here.  Brain won't work.  How do I start the smartlist?

No worries.

Open up Playlists in the Tree on the left, and then either right-click and choose Add Smartlist, or click the Add Smartlist button in the top of the view header on the right-hand side.

For now, just add a Smartlist.  It is easier.  Later on, you might want to change this into a View so you can use Panes to filter it, but let's keep it simple until we get your problem sorted out.

Under your Everything view group (or any view that includes All databases), try creating a panes view, and as the first column, use the expression:

FileDBLocation()

Ooh... Handy.  Adding now.

Also I figured I'd mention, the same trick works for the Bad Files Database.

If you want to see the "Items Media Center has previously determined to be Bad" list, you can use the same tactic.  Just change the "search" to look at the "bad" database instead.

~d=b ~sort=[Filename]

If you ever have files that show up in the bad files database and shouldn't be, you can use those same exact steps to "fix" them and get MC to try to re-import them again.  Just "remove" the files in question from the Bad Files database, and then MC won't think they're bad anymore.

And, lastly, for anyone still paying attention, to explain what MrC was just talking about, there is one last big ugly search you can use that shows all of the files that MC has ever seen or known about, including Removable media files and all sorts of other crazy things.  This will make a big, huge, ungainly list though if you have used the same Library for a long time:

~d=a ~sort=[Filename]

Before MrC just gave us that awesome little tip, it was too ugly to use in most cases, unless you needed something specific.  But now, mine looks like:

Click to embiggen.

Oh, MrC... Where do you get such marvelous toys?  ;)

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:34 pm »

Oh, MrC... Where do you get such marvelous toys?  ;)

I think he must sleep with headphones that are playing the source code or something, I think you have the same soundtrack, maybe his is 7.1 and you only got the 5.1 version.
Can I at least get a mono recording. ;D It must be getting late or the cocktails are taking over as I am getting goofy, all is well though, it made me laugh.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:34 pm »

all is well though, it made me laugh.

Hah.

Me too.  ;D

MrC

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 12:08:51 am »

Good laughs.  See Reply #22 in the 17.0.141 beta thread.

OK, see the ones above it too. :-)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 12:35:10 am »

Hmmm.... It should NOT be doing that, but I've seen something similar in the past.  Perhaps something is a little broken again in Auto-Import land with the Ignore previously removed setting.

FYI:  I just tested on my own Library, and the Ignore files previously removed part of Auto Import seems to be working correctly here.  But check anyway.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 01:02:07 am »

Good laughs.  See Reply #22 in the 17.0.141 beta thread.

OK, see the ones above it too. :-)

That comment was probably only made because you are full of folly.
By the way I have been meaning to ask what is folly, if it is explainable. "The opinions I express represent my own folly."
Sean

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:52 am »

I tried the smart-list fix.  The files were NOT there.  Only some iTunes stuff that I deleted from when my kids downloaded songs.  What in heck do I do now?  Should I just un-install MC, re-install and re-load Library?

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 09:26:27 am »

If after you do those steps, you DON'T find the files in the list, then it is likely that MC has actually re-imported them, but imported them with the same old "bad" metadata (unknown [Media Type] probably) as before.  If this is the case, ask and we can help you get that sorted quickly and painlessly.

This is me for sure.  Help!!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:42 am »

So, the problem is then probably that the files have been imported, but weren't "tagged" as Audio files (assuming we are talking about music here), so they don't show up under the Audio item in the tree.  You need to find those files in the Database, and change the [Media Type] tag.  This tag is just like any other tag in the library (Artist, Album, Genre, etc) except that it is limited to just a few preset options:  Audio, Data, Image, Playlist, TV, or Video

In the Tree on the Left, do you have an item called "Documents"?  Are the files in there under Files?  You should be able to use the Location pane to drill down by folder to find them.

If so, you can just select them and change them to the proper [Media Type] using the Tag Action Window.  To do this, just bring up the Tag Action Window, then click the little button on the top-left of the Action Window itself and choose Also Show > Media Type.  That will add Media Type to the "taggable fields" available in the panel.  Then just change it from whatever it is now that is wrong (probably Data or Blank) to Audio.  Then they'll instantly appear in your Audio views.

MC doesn't care what the extension of a file is when deciding whether to show a file under Audio, Images, or Video.  It only cares what this special [Media Type] tag is set to.  When you import new files, it analyzes them to determine their type.  Usually it is right (even if the file extension is wrong), but sometimes it messes up.  In your case though, it seems like a large swath of them got messed up.

If they DON'T appear in the Documents item in your tree, you can make a view that shows ALL file types, and that should show them for sure if they are in the library.  Find them, and fix them.

I don't have time to lay this part out for you step-by-step right this second, but I can do it later if no one else does.  Just yell.

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:51 am »

No Document Folder in Tree on left.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:58 am »

Uninstalling/reinstalling won't help.

If you don't care about keeping your existing library information, you could just clear the whole library and start over from the default.

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 10:16:19 am »

I don't mind removing the library and re-installing.  However I DON'T want to lose any artwork I've started to rebuild after losing it all from HD fail.  I made my way about 10% of the way which is not a lot but significant in size and time.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 10:21:28 am »

Okay, well, you're online, so I guess I'll take the time for a minute.

Do this:

1. Select Playing Now in the tree.
2. Go to the View menu up top, and choose Add View > Add Library View.
3. In the Add Library View browser, pick the Disk Location view preset, and then make sure it chose (Root) as the Location (it should be if you started with Playing Now selected, but if not, just change it to Root).
4. This will add a new Disk Location type view to your tree at the same "level" as Audio, Images, and Video and whatnot.  It will show ALL of the files in your library together.

Now you should be able to find the files if they are in your Library anywhere.  Use the Location browser pane on the left to find them where they actually live on disk.  If they aren't in there, then something more sinister is going on and we might need someone from JRiver to help (or just try resetting the Library).

5. Once you find them, select them and then open the Tag Action Window.
6. If it isn't already in the list of available tags, go to that little button on the top-left of the Action Window and choose Also Show > Media Type.
7. Now you should be able to edit the Media Type for all of the files at once.  Change them from whatever they are now (almost certainly blank or undefined or something broken) to Audio (again, assuming we're talking about music).

That should fix you up.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:43 am »

I don't mind removing the library and re-installing.  However I DON'T want to lose any artwork I've started to rebuild after losing it all from HD fail.  I made my way about 10% of the way which is not a lot but significant in size and time.

Yeah, the artwork is stored on disk but is linked to the files through the Library.

If it comes to it, you can also reset your whole Library back to the defaults, but that's using a sledgehammer to kill a microbe.

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:30 am »

OK.  I found everything in there and it is in Music.  Somehow the Artist and Album names aren't there but under the track name.  I just typed in the Artist and boom they are there now. Is there an easier way w/tagging?

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:06 am »

Where are my manners?  Thank you very much!!  This was driving me nuts after a while!!

MrC

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

OK.  I found everything in there and it is in Music.  Somehow the Artist and Album names aren't there but under the track name.  I just typed in the Artist and boom they are there now. Is there an easier way w/tagging?

Try Fill Properties from Filename.  Set the templates to pull from portions of the path and/or filename.

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 11:53:37 am »

That's what I'm doing.  Thanks again to everyone who helped here!

chrisjj

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 07:57:08 am »

If you have the "Ignore previously removed" option turned on

G, where is this option, please? Subsequent to its removal a few versions ago from the Library import dialog, I cannot find it anywhere.

gappie

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:23 am »

G, where is this option, please? Subsequent to its removal a few versions ago from the Library import dialog, I cannot find it anywhere.
when you go to autoimport (options>library and folders>configure autoimport) its there.

:)
gab

chrisjj

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 08:41:18 am »

when you go to autoimport (options>library and folders>configure autoimport) its there.

Thanks - I found it as "Ignore files previously removed from library".

But "Type your search here". Looks like that search is bugged.

chrisjj

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 08:43:31 am »

When you do the import uncheck the "Ignore files previously removed from library" option

FTR, I have found that is inoperative on File Library Import. It is operative on Auto-import.
Pages: [1]   Go Up