INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume fadeout issue (jtb3, J-a-k-e)  (Read 1306 times)

JTB3

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Volume fadeout issue (jtb3, J-a-k-e)
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:03:40 pm »

I've been meaning to report this for a while, and now is the time...

When MC17's volume control setting is set to 'System Volume' (external vs. 'internal' volume)
and the 'Audio' Playback Option for 'Stop:' is set with a fadeout (either normal, fast, or slow),
MC17 performs the Stop:fadeout with the external system volume (when it really should perform the fadeout 'internally').

The negative effects of an 'system/external' controlled fadeout are as follows:

1) With digital S/PDIF connections (that ignore the volume control setting) NO fadeout is heard at all and this feature is rendered useless (this is a pretty serious issue/nuisance).

2) Some internal audio cards (like mine) make a slight "Pop" sound when the system volume is rapidly increased (at the end of the fadeout. (this too is annoying).

All of the above issues could be easily solved by simply always performing 'Stop:fadeouts' with the internal volume, irregardless of the system/internal setting.

Could the dev team please consider making this change? (I'm so sick of the 'pops'...)
Thanks for listening! -JT

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »

Also if you have volume protection enabled, volume doesn't return to the previous setting and instead stays at around 10% after a stop-fadeout is performed.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:25:34 am »

Also if you have volume protection enabled, volume doesn't return to the previous setting and instead stays at around 10% after a stop-fadeout is performed.

I experienced something similar.  I disabled Vol. Protection (I find the volume control provides too much "resistance" when it is enabled), and then there was no control of the volume at all.  The vol. slider did nothing.  I had to quit and restart MC to resolve the issue.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Volume fadeout issue (jtb3, J-a-k-e)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 05:20:59 pm »

Switching to internal volume for fades has been on our list of good intentions for a while:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67896.0

Someday when we feel like everything else is under control we'll make the switch.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Volume fadeout issue (jtb3, J-a-k-e)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »

Coming soon:
Changed: Fadeout on stop applies the volume using the internal audio engine instead of the volume slider, so it works nicely with any output device.
NEW: Added fadeout on pause feature (configurable in Options > Audio).
Fixed: Using a fadeout on stop would not work properly when Volume Protection was enabled.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up