INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you manage booklets??  (Read 4101 times)

mschneid

• World Citizen
How do you manage booklets??
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:55:09 pm »

Rick.ca  wrote

Re: View pdf booklets in standard and/or theater view
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:00:36 pm »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: Lasse_Lus on November 28, 2011, 05:16:45 am
...then when you have your track marked that has a booklet assigned you "send" it to your external tool

This works well in Standard View. It's also possible (and more convenient) to define a link that will open [booklet] in an external reader. Using that technique, [booklet] could also be used to save a URL to a similar Web reference. In that case, separate links would be defined to handle PDF vs. HTTP references.

Unfortunately, there's no equivalent to Send To or Links in Theatre View. The internal browser (in Theatre View) can display a PDF if it has a PDF reader plugin. If that's the case, a "Webpage" item will display a specific PDF, but that doesn't help display those referenced in [booklet]. What's needed is a way to define "Links" for a view. The "Search URL" (to use the same term as the existing Links feature) could be a Web (http://) or File (file://) reference, and take any parameter associated with the selected file (like [booklet]). As such, it would function as a Link or a Send to item. There would be a "Links" item on the main roller, with a sub-menu listing any applicable links.

It is possible to import PDF's from audio folders and define a view that will include them. But it seems to me that will mess-up audio playback. Putting them in a separate booklets view would prevent that, but defeat the purpose. The reference needs to be available in the context of the album and any of the tracks it contains.

So..
How do I do this... 
Is this the best way to view booklets.   
I agree that rick.ca that the reference needs to be available in the context of the album and any of the tracks it contains....  ( to me... booklet matches to albumns... not tracks)

Thanks

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you manage booklets??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:42:45 pm »

I haven't got around to organizing my booklets yet. Most of the few I have are still separate scanned image files I've long intended to assemble in PDF's. But, for Standard View, the solution is simple. Assuming your booklets are saved as Booklet.pdf in the album folder and the PDF file type is associated with a viewer, this Link is what all you need:

Code: [Select]
<Link version="1.2">
<Item Name="Name">Booklet</Item>
<Item Name="Action">1</Item>
<Item Name="Base URL"/>
<Item Name="Search URL">file:////[Filename (path)]Booklet.pdf</Item>
<Item Name="Filter">[=IsMissing([Filename (path)]Booklet.pdf)]=[0]</Item>
</Link>

Copy this to the clipboard, then in Manage Links add a new link and Paste link information from clipboard. The link will appear whenever a file or album with an associated booklet is selected. Clicking it will open the booklet in your default reader.

Since there is no equivalent to Links in Theatre View, a different (and less useful) method is required. That is simply to include the Booklet.pdf files in a view so they can be 'played'. That means including them in your Audio views along with the audio files, where Play All will result in them being played with the music—whether you want to see them or not. Or, to avoid that problem, a category that distinguishes the media and booklet files can be added at the beginning of the view. That provides the means to include, exclude or view the booklets by themselves.

While I don't yet include booklets in my Library, I have added some Wikipedia articles on movies that have been printed to PDF. (The Wikipedia feature that does that formats them nicely, and they view well in my reader in full-screen mode.) As I've described, I can include or exclude these articles from my movie view. They have there own File Info template, and a caption to distinguish them from the movies (which share the same poster).

It's not as slick as being able to select a link displayed with the media info, but it works.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:20:49 pm »

How did you manage to view Rating with Stars in different Colours?
Adding the Year is no problem but the rest. ?

Looks nice.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:36 pm »

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:06:02 pm »

@rick.ca

Could you please post your Expression for your view,but only for "Year - Rating with stars and colours that you use".

I don't need the "PDF Part".

Or perhaps both. That i have something to play with.

Sorry,but I'm an Expression Newbie. :)
Onkyo TX-NR906

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:37:55 am »

If({Condition for using this caption is TRUE}, [Name] /([Year]/) <font color="Mid(0123456789ABCDEF, Math([Rating] * 3 - 3), 1)F9933">Mid(★★★★★, 0, [Rating])<//font>, )

• There's just one caption field for all media, and I can't guess what particular files this caption should be applied to in your library. So all this part means is you will have to provide some expression that does so. It might be as simple as [Media Sub Type]=[Movie], or something more complicated.

• Here, I use [Rating] to choose the first digit of the hexadecimal colour code. That's why the whole thing is enclosed in quotes. The result is a literal '0F9933' to 'BF9933'. The first part is red, so it is varied while the green and blue remain fixed. You can construct the code any way to you like to 'mix' the colours (i.e., you could vary a different primary colour, or all three. It's helpful to consult something like ColorPicker when deciding how to specify the colour.

• This part simply displays a string of stars the same length as [Rating].

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 02:28:28 am »

Big Thanks!!! Worked and looks good.

But,One problem:

I made the Expression for Audio only at the moment,but i want to change the color for Year.

That's my Line:

If(isequal([Media Type],Audio,1), [Name]     <font color="B22222">/([Year]/)      <font color="Mid(0123456789ABCDEF, Math([Rating] * 3 - 3), 1)F9933">Mid(★★★★★, 0, [Rating])<//font>, )

Year has the right Color now, but Subtext of a marked song (Artist,Album,Year) turns also red.Subtext color should stay grey.
Is there something missing in this expression line?
By the way,How can I edit the Subtext Line of a marked song,because I don't need the Year Tag there anymore.
Also with an Expression command? Am I right?
Onkyo TX-NR906

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:15:16 am »

Add the closing font tag.

If(isequal([Media Type],Audio,1), [Name]     <font color="B22222">/([Year]/)<//font><font color="Mid(0123456789ABCDEF, Math([Rating] * 3 - 3), 1)F9933">Mid(★★★★★, 0, [Rating])<//font>, )
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:40:39 am »

Thanks,now it looks like i wanted it!

I played around for a while.Also with an closing font tag.But i must have done something wrong(or something forgotten).

Is there a way to edit the subtags of an highlighted Audio File? Would be nice if could remove the Year Tag there.

Onkyo TX-NR906
Pages: [1]   Go Up