INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want a HUGE library running through my MC, using 20 external HDs. Probs?  (Read 16056 times)

HaiGuys

• Recent member

I want a HUGE library running through my MediaMonkey MC.

...can I hook up two or ten external HDs to my rig and run 'er like that?

PROBLEMS?
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ENDLESS WISDOM.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

Yes.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

spiggytopes

• World Citizen

How are you going to connect the disks to the pc? NAS?

What size would the dosks be?

I have 8 disks with about 12TB usable in 2 NAS boxes and everything is fine.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

Yes, MC can handle them.  They are just disks, and so long as Windows sees the disks/file systems, MC can import/use the data.  It doesn't care.

Yes, there can be problems if the drives are removable, are transient, or the drive letters change.  If they are permanent, no issues.

Yes, your reply may cause some incontinence.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I have 20 drives on an unRaid server, between 1 and 2 TB each. Almost full with media and MC doesn't have any problems.

Sparks67

• World Citizen

The question is why do you want external drives, when internal drives are cheaper?   I am switching my rackmount server to this Chenbro case
[url][http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811123131/url]  A bit heavy, but allows me to hold up to 13 drives.  (15, if you do the hot swap ssd drive in the floppy slot)
The chenbro has these different accessories, so I can make into hot swap drives.  I have an Acrea Raid card, so it is rather easy for me. 

MrHaugen

I got my self a Norco SAS expander with 24 disk slots. Connected to a cheap server with a raid card. It works perfectly, but it costs a bit... There are alternative cases with the space for a motherboard, psu AND alot of disks as well. I've never seen the attraction of adding a whole lot of external drives to one computer. Drive letters, removing drives and faulty drives can give you problems.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen

I use an origenae S21T as MC server with areca raid card and five 3TB HD's...works flawlessy. The case can handle up to 11 HD's + 1 SSD and has an integrated display...

RBeam

• Recent member

I have 20 2tb drives attached to the machine that doubles as the htpc in my main room and server for the other rooms in the house. I use the addonics port multipliers which are extremely cost effective and have been rock solid in the, going on, 2 years I've had them. Mine are in 4 physical blocks of 5 drives each in RAID5 so I 'lose' 1 drive to parity in each block and end up with 4 logical drives of 7.27 (real) tb. They aren't speed demons but produce more than enough read throughput to saturate a gigabit ethernet connection.

I've been in the process of trying out various solutions to replace the hacked up wmc front end I've been using (j.river wins by a mile) and all of them have worked fine just mounting network drives on the various machines and pointing whatever I was using at them but j.river seems to accommodate my large music and video libraries with a lot less effort. Just finished converting all of my blu ray iso over to folder structure and (even the htpcs that are accessing the info over the network) can switch between 2 different blu ray movies about as fast as changing tracks on a cd. I've been extremely impressed so far.

Pages: [1]   Go Up