INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Volume and Volume Levelling (ReplayGain)  (Read 2438 times)

lowjoel

• World Citizen
Internal Volume and Volume Levelling (ReplayGain)
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:05:05 am »

I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing it wrong, but I deliberately set my ReplayGain compensation to be fixed a little bit higher than most of the tracks I've got (+18dB, most songs I've got average between -10 to -15dB for replaygain) and then set Internal Volume to be less than full (in my case -7.5dB). I am occasionally able to hear clipping (or well, what sounds like clipping to me), so I did some investigation.

The audio path shows resampling first (as dictated by DSP studio too); Volume levelling is applied (+18dB, which will make the nett volume change to be +2 or +3 dB); then Internal volume applied (-7.5dB).

Is this the correct order? I'd assume that either JRiver will combine both values together to give an overall volume change before applying it so that set ups like that won't cause clipping. Or you could tell me that the algorithm is indeed correct and that my ears are playing tricks on me... :P

sail121j

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Internal Volume and Volume Levelling (ReplayGain)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »

I have set mine at  fixed +7.0 and have no problems - seems to work for me and output volume at 80%.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:37:36 pm »

You might use 'Automatic' mode for Replay Gain.  It's makes the playlist as loud as possible, while keeping the volume consistent within the playlist and eliminating any chance of clipping.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

I did try that, but I prefer the fixed level a little more... shouldn't clipping protection kick in?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:53:52 pm »

Clip Protection will handle clipping (assuming it's enabled), but it'll be audible when the clipping first occurs.

When possible, it's better to not drive the signal too hard to begin with.

Are you trying to squeeze more volume out of a low powered system?  If not, it would be better to use a modest gain like +6dB or automatic to avoid the clipping.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:02:52 pm »

No, it's just that using the default settings (and automatic correction) will cause my music to be much softer in volume with respect to system sounds. I used to use WASAPI exclusive mode, but that prevented other notifications from being played, resulting in my missing them and responding too late.

My audio system (even though it's probably low powered compared to most guys here) isn't near its limit at all, actually.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »

If you're on Vista or newer, you could use the Windows mixer to turn down the volume of system sounds, web browser sounds, etc. relative to the master level.

Because using 'Internal Volume' is effectively turning the level down on the Media Center line.  If you want other lines to match, you'll have to bring them down too.

Does that make sense?

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »

Yes, but new applications will still use the default volume set, which may be a problem for me (I write programs and such) so I'd rather just match MC to the rest of the system instead.

Okay -- no worries about it then, this was just a curiosity and it in all likelihood was just my ears fooling me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up