INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver's HDtracks Downloader for Mac -- Available Here  (Read 54448 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver's HDtracks Downloader for Mac -- Available Here
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:29:21 pm »

JRiver has built a new HDtracks Downloader for Mac.  It will be distributed by HDtracks, but you can try it now.

Here are both versions of the HDtracks downloader.   Updated 4-16-13.

An updated HDtracks Downloader is available for Windows here:
http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180159.exe

An updated HDtracks Downloader for Mac OSX is available here:
http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180165.dmg

We could use reports on any problems.

JimH

• Administrator

petergraup

Thanks for driving this product forward  :) Given that MacOS devices (with exception of Lenovos using WinOS) are the only notebooks that are still expanding market share, this is the right thing to do. And it helps me to get rid of Parallels which has a number of drawbacks.

Here are my observations regarding the HDTracks Downloader. It runs a little flaky on my MacBookAir with OSX 10.8.2:
  • I have a German language keyboard. Some special characters like @ are not supported. This prevented me to log in using my email address, until I switched to US keyboard. Yes, there is a world outside the US, please consider.
  • Copy and paste (i.e. CMD-V) into the text boxes is not supported.
  • The application crashes when I hit SHIFT 9
  • I bought some tracks and clicked in "Check for new orders". It then started to download much faster than the Java app which I am used to. However during the download it crashes frequently. I then opened again and could continue the download until the next crash. So it took some time to get all downloaded.

JimH

• Administrator

The download link in the first post has been updated.  It fixes some of the problems reported.

JimH

• Administrator

JimH

• Administrator

I've updated the link in the first post to the current HDTracks Downloader for Mac.  Here's the link:
http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader-3.dmg

antonmb

Just downloaded two albums, one a 96/24. The downloader works very well, with the multi-track capability it was much faster than the hdtracks java downloader. Also I had one track hang during the download, but once I closed and reopened the downloader it restarted it and finished without a hitch. If that happens with java, I have to go back to the hdtracks site and restart from there. Then it creates new folders and starts the whole process over again. This is a big improvement for me.

One glitch though - where's the cover art??

JimH

• Administrator

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report. 

What format did you choose?  Where are you looking when you say "where's the cover art"?

antonmb

I chose "No change". Files downloaded as FLAC, the pdf liner notes downloaded, but the jpg cover art file didn't download. With the hdtracks java downloader there's always a jpg art file.

JimH

• Administrator

We investigated this a little.  We think that the cover art is not a separate file that is downloaded, but is stored in the audio file. 

In JRiver Media Center, the cover art is visible.  Are you using iTunes to look for the cover art?

antonmb

Re: JRiver's HDtracks Downloader for Mac -- Available Here (and a 15% coupon)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:21:40 pm »

I have downloaded over 50 albums from hdtracks, and I can assure you there is a separate cover art jpeg file that downloads using their java downloader, with the album name as the file name, e.g. "getyeryayasout.jpg". When the downloader starts, it creates the artist folder and album subfolder, then downloads a jpeg cover art file and the pdf liner notes before downloading the actual tracks. Try it - go to hdtracks and buy an album without using jriver and just let it download using the java downloader. I use a Logitech Squeezebox and always have to rename the cover art file to "cover.jpg" so the Logitech Media Server software will recognize it, since it doesn't use the embedded cover art.

antonmb

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:26 pm »

I hope that last post didn't sound too cranky, your downloader is still a great tool and much better than the java app. I can always copy the embedded art to a separate file if you can't figure it out, just thought you should know there's a gap.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:55:41 pm »

We'll check it.  Thanks for the details.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 03:28:13 pm »

I've updated the link in the first post.  The latest downloader for OSX is here:
http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader-6.dmg

In a few days, when HDtracks changes their server, this one will start automatically when you've made a purchase.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 11:01:16 pm »

Just downloaded this, pretty sure you are aware but it is not gatekeeper 'friendly'.  Since it doesn't come from an 'identified developer' (cost's $99 to become one), it won't install under Mountain Lion for the 'average' user running with default settings.

It might help to include instructions on how to run for the first time for those less technical.  Best method is the 'option+click > open' method in Finder (doesn't work in PathFinder or the fly-out view from the dock).

kaareem9

Embedded Software
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:50:28 am »

The downloader works very well, with the multi-track capability it was much faster than the hdtracks java downloader. Also I had one track hang during the download, but once I closed and reopened the downloader it restarted it and finished without a hitch....more informaion

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:06 am »

http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180076.exe

And for OSX it's here:
http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180076.dmg

The full history is below.

Thanks,

18.0.76 (11/19/2012)

1. Fixed: ALAC encoded files could fail to play on some iPod models.
2. Fixed: Downloads in AIF format could fail when track filenames had special 'regex' characters in them, such as square brackets.
3. Changed: Version number is now displayed at the bottom left of the Settings window.

18.0.72 (11/12/2012)

1. Changed: Renamed button to "Check For New Downloads", moved it to the leftmost button position.
2. Changed: Added handlers so app. responds to protocol commands while running.
3. Changed: Changed filename extension of temporary downloaded audio files from ".flac_hddownload" to ".track_hddownload".

18.0.68 (11/2/2012)

1. Fixed: Problem where the app would be minimized to the dock when it was launched from a web link.

18.0.67 (11/1/2012)

1. NEW: Added protocol handler so user can click on web link
2. NEW: Selection of desired format (flac, aiff, wav, alac) is done on the web page rather than in the downloader.

firedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 11:34:39 am »

Hi-

A few comments about the downloader:

1. It's good. Much better than the present official HDTracks downloader.
2. A few comments suggestions:

a. A "pause" button would be nice
b. The present HDT downloader numbers the tracks in the file name: 01- track.flac; 02- track.flac and so on. I think this feature would be useful to many users.
c. Failed or interrupted downloads: there needs to be a good system so that when the downloader starts again after being interrupted, it starts where it left off, and doesn't start tracks that weren't completed from the beginning.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 11:41:29 am »

Hi-

A few comments about the downloader:

1. It's good. Much better than the present official HDTracks downloader.
2. A few comments suggestions:

a. A "pause" button would be nice
b. The present HDT downloader numbers the tracks in the file name: 01- track.flac; 02- track.flac and so on. I think this feature would be useful to many users.
c. Failed or interrupted downloads: there needs to be a good system so that when the downloader starts again after being interrupted, it starts where it left off, and doesn't start tracks that weren't completed from the beginning.
Thanks for the feedback.  Downloads should resume automatically now if you restart the downloader.

firedog

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 09:59:33 am »

The present HDT downloader numbers the tracks in the file name: 01- track.flac; 02- track.flac and so on. I think this feature would be useful to many users.

Agree. Please add this feature.

The downloader does work well though.

rezhi

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 01:45:32 pm »

I am having a problem with version 18.0.94 of the HDtracks Downloader for the Mac.

It reads my HDtracks Username correctly, but when I enter my password in the "Please Enter your HDtracks username and password" dialog box, it returns a "There was a problem logging in.  Please try again later." message within the login dialog box.  Note that this is a different message than if an incorrect password was entered.

The support staff at HDtracks haven't been able to figure out what the problem is, and I have a big queue of downloads that are stuck there.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 01:46:47 pm »

We think there may be a problem with some locales.  Where are you located?  Can you switch to a US keyboard?

rezhi

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »

I'm in the United States.  Keyboard is the stock wireless keyboard for US iMacs.

In addition to typing in my password, I also tried the "I forgot my password" process with HDtracks, which has their server sending back an automated message with my password, which I copied and pasted into the Download Manager login dialog box with no success either. As you know, the "try again later" message is different than the message that you get if the password is wrong, anyway, but I gave it a shot.

My login into the HDtracks site itself is no problem, and clicking the "resume download" link in my queue launches the Download Manager with my correct HDtracks username showing in the lower right of the Download Manager main window.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 03:56:16 pm »

Do you have a wired keyboard you could try?  Or another Mac you could try?

We're working on the problem, but can't yet duplicate it.

rezhi

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »

Sorry, this is our only Mac, and we only have wireless keyboards. 

Since I tried to copy and paste my password from HDtrack's email response, though, that would seem to be keyboard-independent.  Thanks again for looking into this.

rezhi

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 05:12:34 pm »

If I mistype my password on purpose, the Download Manager login dialog box returns a message in red saying that the password is wrong.

So, it reads the keyboard I think.

In contrast, if I type in (or copy and paste) the correct password, I get a different error message in red within the Download Manager login dialog box, saying that there is a login problem and to try again later (exact wording on my earlier post.)

So, it seems to distinguish between wrong and right passwords successfully.

rezhi

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 02:53:12 pm »

Still having the same issue having updated to DL Manager 18.0.108.

Anything I might try?

Thanks again.

JohnT

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 03:02:36 pm »

Can you email me at "johnt at jriver dot com" and I'll try to reproduce what you're seeing on my end? Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

rezhi

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:53 pm »

Thank you, John...will do.

rezhi

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:27 am »

John, thank you for all your help...you and the JRiver team are great.

captgonzo

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 03:09:09 pm »

Hi there-
The Hdtracks downloader is crashing on my Mac. Running OSX 10.7.5 - tried reinstalling, running as admin, on my fourth try - not working. Can I send a full crash report to someone?

Thanks,
Chris L.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 04:30:32 pm »

A log wouldn't help, but make sure you have the latest build.

http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180111.exe

And for OSX here:
http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180111.dmg

captgonzo

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:28 pm »

Hi there -
Got it to run fine on OSX 10.8 on a different machine. Pain in the rear end to schlep the files around the house, but i got the files. I'm definitely using the latest version. Someone should get that fixed - since old macs often get recycled as iTunes servers, not running on 10.7 will be a problem for a fair number.
I saw someone else with the exact same problem on Computer Audiophile.... I know that's not "data" but I would bet were not the only ones.... And Would it kill ya' to sign the application properly so I don't have to open up the sandbox to everything?
Sorry to be negative - I also meant to say The revised app is really good - very happy to get rid of the java thing we used previously!
Thanks,
Chris L.

JimH

• Administrator

http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180147.dmg (updated 3-12-13)

Rogerdn

• Junior Woodchuck

http://files.jriver.com/partners/hdtracks/HDtracksDownloader180147.dmg (updated 3-12-13)

Of late I cannot get the downloader un/pw screen to accept my entries, I am using the same ones that get me into my HD account with no problem.  HD is of late not very responsive to e mails, requiring several to get a reply.  They seem to offer no help other than to try again or open yet another account.  Have others had this problem getting it to work or is it a problem on my computer ?

Rogerdn

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver's HDtracks Downloader for Mac -- Available Here
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 08:21:16 pm »

PS forgot to say I have installed this latest downloader.

ploughguy

But not available here...
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 04:26:24 am »

I just bought half a dozen -um- disks? - Nay! Albums! (yay! They're back!) and met the new downloader for the first time.
It happily re-downloaded my previous order, but it refuses to show any interest in the new stuff.  Previous order was FLAC.  Latest order is AIFF.  Don't know if that might be a factor.

I have it running on Mt Lion and Lion.  Same result on both.  Version of HDTDL is 18.0.147.

Symptom is that I have three orders in the HD-Tracks Store with status Resume Download.  HDTDL shows all the tracks of the oldest order as "Finished" except the last one, which is "Downloading..." for about 60 seconds before it, too, is marked "Finished".  The remaining two orders are not appearing in the HDTDL download queue.

The "Check for New Downloads" button does not seem to do anything.  Clicking the "Resume Download" button in the HDT store brings HDTDL into focus but it does not do anything else.

I presume the username and password are correct because it finds the oldest order - but OTOH it might have it cached.

I have tried restarting HDTDL - same result on two different machines.

Some usability comments on the program.
  • The mid-grey on light grey scheme makes all the controls look disabled. It always looks like it is not ready for input.  Not critical, but mildly disturbing, especially as...
  • It is always the top window.  There is no option to make it not be on top.  I know that if I wrote it, I would want it on top too, but I didn't, so I don't.
  • Please put the version number on the main screen - to the right of "Made by JRiver" would be perfect.  I have a feeling we will be needing to keep it readily available.

It is good now, and I am sure it will be great when it is finished.  Meanwhile, I want to listen to my 150 bucks worth of music.
Anyone got any hints?

Just ordered a FLAC encoded album - but no luck - so the encoding seems to not be relevant.
R

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 06:58:08 am »

Please report HDtracks download problems to HDtracks.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

Still getting the 'can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.'  I know the work around for this, just wondering if JRiver has any plans on registering as an official developer with Apple to fix this?

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 12:43:54 am »

It is probably worth getting a code signing certificate.  You don't need to go through the App Store, just basically register yourself with Apple I believe.  The default is to allow all applications from "signed" developer to run.

Separately, the current version 18.0.165 still always shows up on top of everything else.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 11:33:15 am »

The most recent builds of the HDtracks Downloader are signed with our certificate.

I'm not sure if they're public yet (HDtracks controls this).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

chriscom7

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 12:54:46 pm »

Where do I get these signed builds? Is it that HDtracks is not interested in this? I just bought Audiogon's sampler and this has turned out to be way way more work than it should have been. (It's easy to see why iTunes is so successful.)

So I'm looking for advice. Is this worth the battle or should I give up and just fight to get my money back?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »

Please see the first post in this thread.

shadowox8

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 01:01:54 pm »

I recently created an account on HDtracks to try their free samplers, at which point I learned that I had to download this program.
  • The window is always on top.
  • The window cannot be minimized.
  • The application cannot be hidden.
  • The application does not appear in Exposé's "all windows" view.
  • The menu bar has one tab with one item: "HDtracksDownloader > Quit HDtracksDownloader". One would hope for (at least) an "About…" item with credits and version information, and a "Preferences…" item.
  • Related to the above, the version information is in the "Settings" window, which doesn't make sense semantically. And, again, the "Settings" button should really be replaced by the Mac OS X standard "Preferences…" menu item.
  • Whichever button was last clicked remains highlighted inexplicably until another button is clicked. One exception is "Show Downloads", which intermittently returns to its "inactive" appearance when clicked, until the window regains focus and any button is hovered over, at which point "Show Downloads" becomes highlighted again.
  • The table that lists all of the downloads has clickable column headers, which have little arrows to indicated sort order when clicked, but no sorting is ever applied.
  • A better font and better font-smoothing would be nice.

For reference:

• MacBookPro5,3 (mid 2009) running 10.6.8
  • HDtracksDownloader 18.0.165
  • $ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_51"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_51-b11-456-10M4508)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.51-b01-456, mixed mode)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »

The design specs are HDtracks'.

shadowox8

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »

The design specs are HDtracks'.

Perhaps, but it's your job as software engineers to elicit good requirements from the customer and steer them away from bad ones. In any case, is there any chance we could open source the finalized design requirements? I am curious how many of my points are specifically mentioned. (Something tells me that HDtracks did not specify the "Show Download" button's quirky behavior.)

jbmjbm0

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:22 pm »

The HDtracks downloader has been working pretty well in recent versions - at least as far as the essential functionality of, you know, downloading the music.  So that's good.

My primary complaint is that the application insists on being on top of everything else, which becomes more and more intensely annoying the longer one uses it.

I just updated to 18.0.165 (is that the latest version?) to see if this is still the case, and that always-on-top behavior doesn't seem to have been fixed yet.

I think I can maybe find a workable approach using Mac OS's "Spaces" virtual-screen facility - try to lock the Download Manager in its own virtual desktop so it isn't in the way - but that sort of workaround shouldn't be necessary, don't you agree?

Thanks...

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 09:28:19 pm »

I also dislike some of the apps look and feel. If JRiver wrote it for HDTracks, then maybe HDTracks would allow JRiver to also write a version that runs as a MC plug in? That could be more convenient, easier to use the first time, and would avoid the always on top and other annoyances.

I realize that MC users are generally more sophisticated, or they would a use simple program. This may seem like a minor, little used thing, but the comment about iTunes being easy should carry some weight.

teliottmansa

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2014, 03:21:27 pm »

I downloaded HDtracks Download Manager 200031 for mac and it crashes immediately after opening.  How do I go about fixing this so i can use the program?
Pages: [1]   Go Up