INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Native output to Oppo 103 Possible?  (Read 16670 times)

HerbHHH

• Recent member
Is Native output to Oppo 103 Possible?
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »

I have a new toy - an Oppo 103 Bluray player.

It has HDMI inputs so that you can use the snazzy on-board Mavel Qdeo video processor.  The video quality is pretty spectacular. 

Is there a way to output Native resolution out of MC so that my HTPC is not doing any deinterlacing/scaling/color correction, and all of the video processing is left to the Oppo unit?

I'm using an AMD Radeon 5670 graphics card at the moment.

Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is Native output to Oppo 103 Possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:31:45 pm »

It should work fine if the Oppo is seen as a video device by the PC, like an AVR is.

Seems like I missed an important part of the OP's question.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:23:11 am »

PCs aren't all that good at "native" video output. PCs are designed for progressive RGB output, anything else will most likely cause issues.

Video files are usually Y'CbCr 4:2:0, the closest you can get to that in output is Y'CbCr 4:2:2 (HDMI Limit), however internally it most likely already converted to RGB, and only for output it converts back to Y'CbCr 4:2:2.
Interlaced output is a whole other problem, and i would never recommend it, because it will most likely just go bad (field order getting confused)

So in short: Output progressive RGB from the PC, or don't use the PC at all. This means the PC needs to do deinterlacing and color conversion to RGB at the very least, you can avoid scaling by dynamically switching the output resolution.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

HerbHHH

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:00 pm »

Thanks, I was afraid it was something like that.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:34:15 pm »

If you stream your video on DLNA, you bypass all processing in MC. Then your Oppo can do all the magic stuff in its high quality video processor.

KeeterJ

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 01:59:08 pm »

Just confirming, I am currently using JR MC 18 as a DLNA server, and watching the output on my Oppo BD-103.  I'm in Stream Direct mode and it looks and sounds great.  At this very moment I have a 1080P stream playing using that approach

On the PC, I set up a Zone for the Oppo 103.  Sometimes I can use JR MC 18 on the PC to push the video to the Oppo as a DLNA renderer.  Using that push approach the results are inconsistent -- sometimes the HDMI-CEC commands from the OPPO will power on my TV and the video appears.  Other times, nothing happens and the Oppo goes into Stop mode.  As a result, I always initiate the session from the Oppo using JR strictly has a DLNA server.

I have also tested the Oppo SMB connection approach to source video directly from the PC disk and it looks very promising.  In the end, I may just skip DLNA and use SMB only.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 09:53:24 am »

Sometimes the SMB mode works better because the renderer can just parse the files to determine if it can play them whereas using DLNA, the description flags are like gatekeepers to the underlying player.

Now, using SMB, if you have a file that the renderer can't play, you are out of luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up