INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Command to toggle thumbnail size slider?  (Read 4071 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Command to toggle thumbnail size slider?
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:05:09 am »

I have harped on this before but a simple feature that would make image organizing much easier for me would be a shortcut to toggle to the max thumbnail size (single image) and back again.  I know that right-clicking on the slider will do this but this is pretty awkward to use in my opinion.  Ideally I would like to just be able to double-click a thumbnail to toggle the thumbnail size rather than the default behavior of "play".  If this is not possible, could we get a toggle command that could be mapped to a keystroke?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Command to toggle thumbnail size slider?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:48:31 am »

It would make photo work so much easier for everyone. Photoshop Elements has done this probably forever. I think photos should not always be treated the same way as music or videos. Work flow is very different.

Seems like such a simple improvement to make that would have big benefits.

In my ongoing quest to have MC handle all media I would really like to have Sandra use it for photos instead of PSE. In it's present form I've been hesitant to suggest that change.

Thanks for considering this.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:00:59 am »

I have harped on this before but a simple feature that would make image organizing much easier for me would be a shortcut to toggle to the max thumbnail size (single image) and back again.  I know that right-clicking on the slider will do this but this is pretty awkward to use in my opinion.  Ideally I would like to just be able to double-click a thumbnail to toggle the thumbnail size rather than the default behavior of "play".  If this is not possible, could we get a toggle command that could be mapped to a keystroke?
There are some other possibilities.

Tools/Options/General/Behavior lets you make changes.

Enter on a photo goes to Display View.  Enter returns

Click on the little plus symbol to enter the preview mode.  Try selecting two or more once you are there.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:44:36 pm »

Tools/Options/General/Behavior lets you make changes.

Unfortunately, there is no control for double-clicking on images but this would be a perfect place to have a "Zoom to single image" option.  Display view and the Preview Mode are not useful for me when organizing.  I need the large, single-image view that right-clicking the slider gives me where I can still do pane tagging.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:32:28 pm »

It would make photo work so much easier for everyone. Photoshop Elements has done this probably forever. I think photos should not always be treated the same way as music or videos. Work flow is very different.

Seems like such a simple improvement to make that would have big benefits.

In my ongoing quest to have MC handle all media I would really like to have Sandra use it for photos instead of PSE. In it's present form I've been hesitant to suggest that change.

Thanks for considering this.

Rod

First let me apologize for the above snarky post. I was in one of my rare lousy moods and should not have posted anything then.

But it all got me to thinking of taking a good look again at 'Images' in MC with the view towards Sandra possibly using MC for her photo work. I spent a good deal of time this morning and was pleasantly surprised at the editing and some of the other image handling capabilities.

I then remembered that a couple of years ago cncb had shared his PSE Like View (similar to Photoshop Elements which Sandra now uses.) in this  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57734.0 thread.  At that time I was a little spooky of getting Sandra into anything in MC except Theater View so didn't start to use it. Since then she has learned to make playlists for her music and do some navigating in Standard View. So today I installed the PSE Like View and spent some time going over it with Sandra. We both felt that we want to work with it all a little more, but are now open to possibly using it instead of PSE for all but serious editing.

We then shut down MC. A little later reopened it and the PSE Like View was gone. It's a 'Root View' and was nowhere to be seen. I then went to Add a View again and selected it as a root view. Now it's back. Are we going to have to do that each time we want to work with photos using that View after restarting MC?

Did some searching on saving views and apparently that option has been removed. So my earlier lousy mood is returning a little. I MUST BE missing something basic! It can't be that I have to reload that view every time we want to use it. Please tell me I'm wrong here! There must be some way to keep it in the Root of Standard View.

Cheers,
Rod

Added on edit:  I just realized that this post is way off topic. If someone prefers, I can start it again in a separate thread. But I do want my apology here.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:52:20 pm »

Rod,

Your new root view should be maintained unless you are using an MC Client in which case you will have to add the new view on the server.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »

In my opinion, we're supporting too many image workflows:
1) Right-click thumbnail size slider for full size
2) Preview mode (the magnifying glass in the corner of the thumbnail)
3) Play / double-click for full screen

I like #3 because I can check focus nicely fullscreen and move really fast with keyboard shortcuts.  But the workflow requires knowing keyboard shortcuts, and I'm sure most people don't know them.

With that in mind, I think the best would be to standardize so that double-click always went to #2.  In the view header there would be a 'Slideshow' link for when you did want fullscreen playback.  Preview mode is already pretty configurable (files, tree, mouse wheel, etc.) so it could work a lot like #1 if you wanted.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:18:40 am »

Oooohhh, slow down there....

Double click should always go to number 1.

Preview mode is like another world away, and also, when using MC set to launch in "last location", if you used preview mode before closing, then MC launches next time, in preview mode, with no image loaded in the previewer, and that's the case even if you exit preview mode before exiting MC

Is a "Slideshow" link really necessay when there's a lovely big "Play" button up there on the left?

-marko

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:19:26 am »

Preview mode is already pretty configurable (files, tree, mouse wheel, etc.) so it could work a lot like #1 if you wanted.

The big thing missing in my mind is the ability to show the Panes so that I can do Pane Tagging in Preview mode.  Also, you can't right-click on the preview image to send to an external editor, etc. and the predefined thumbnail text isn't shown on the preview image.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:34 am »

Oooohhh, slow down there....

You're voicing the reason I haven't done anything here.  I think it could be hard to get consensus.

But I also think it could be improved from how it works today.

Double click should always go to number 1.

Currently double-click always plays (#3), doesn't it?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 08:12:03 am »

The big thing missing in my mind is the ability to show the Panes so that I can do Pane Tagging in Preview mode.  Also, you can't right-click on the preview image to send to an external editor, etc. and the predefined thumbnail text isn't shown on the preview image.

Those seem like easy to solve things.

Add an option for pane visibility, show a caption if it's there (the default is no caption for images anyway), and build out the right-click menu or view header menu (which provides single-click access).

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:35:31 am »

Add an option for pane visibility, show a caption if it's there (the default is no caption for images anyway), and build out the right-click menu or view header menu (which provides single-click access).

Sounds good to me.  If this stuff could be added I would also prefer double-click go to the Preview Mode especially since currently double-click takes you out of it back to thumbnails.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »

Rod,

Your new root view should be maintained unless you are using an MC Client in which case you will have to add the new view on the server.

Thanks a lot - Worked like a champ.

Sorry for the OT here.

Rod

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 08:33:08 am »

Those seem like easy to solve things.

Any chance any progress will be made on this?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:19 pm »

Is this on the radar?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43:25 am »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 10:10:39 am »

Image workflow is on the radar, but I don't expect changes during v18.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up