INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitle Downloader plug-in  (Read 107920 times)

pahunt

• World Citizen
Subtitle Downloader plug-in
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:57:43 pm »

11/11/2014 - IMPORTANT! - All existing users will need to upgrade to version 1.0.2 or later as older versions will no longer retrieve subtitles from Open Subtitles.

This plug-in will attempt to download subtitles for a movie or a TV show as soon as playback begins. I wrote this purely for myself to begin with primarily because I got bored of manually downloading subtitles, naming the file correctly and putting it in the correct folder but I realised other people might find this useful too. Here are some important disclaimers:

1. You need to have Microsoft .NET Framework version 4 installed for this plug-in to work.
2. It will attempt to download subtitles for the following types of video file:

Movies: Any video file with a Media Sub Type of "Movie" that has a value in the IMDB ID field.
   TV Shows: Any video file with a Media Sub Type of "TV Show" that has values in the Series, Season and Episode fields.

3. It will not attempt to download subtitles for DVD or Blu-ray discs that have been imported.
4. It will not attempt to download subtitles for any files that have not been imported.
5. In the plug-in options you can select from a list of languages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version History

1.0.2: Now uses correct user agent for Open Subtitles API.

1.0.1: Video files that are in the library but do not exist on disk are ignored.
         Errors returned from subtitle providers (e.g. the site is down) are now ignored rather than crashing the plug-in.

1.0.0: Installer now defaults to the plug-in folder for version 20.
          Installer is now called SubtitleDownloader.VersionNumber.exe.
          Added an "include language in filename" option to allow control of how the subtitle filename is generated.

0.5.1: Fixed issue where subtitle files would be put into the wrong folder if the video file was not in the root of the drive.      

0.5.0: Downloaded subtitle files are now given a name that identifies the language they are for (e.g. Dexter - s01e01.eng.srt)
         "Get Missing Subtitles" option renamed to "Get Subtitles" and now displays more information about the video files including the list of subtitles that currently exist.  
         Installer now defaults to the plug-in folder for version 19 (but to the best of my knowledge it should still work with 18 as well).

0.4.0: Added secondary language option which will be used if subtitles aren't found for the primary language (select "None" to only use the primary language)
         Added option on the missing subtitles page to include files which already have subtitles so that new ones can be downloaded (which will overwrite any existing external subtitles for the selected files without warning).

0.3.3: Fixed problem that meant subtitles for a movie would be downloaded every time it was played even if it already had suitable subtitles.
         List of videos without subtitles is now restricted to movies and TV shows.

0.3.2: Fixed "The given path's format is not supported" error when playing a YouTube video.
         Fixed obscure problem which meant source list changes would not be saved under certain circumstances.

0.3.1: Fixed the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" that would occur when attempting to download subtitles for a movie.

0.3.0: Added SubDB (http://thesubdb.com/) as optional subtitle source.
         On the settings page you can now control which subtitle sources are used and in which order they are tried.

0.2.2: Fixed the error "Interface plug-in "Subtitle Downloader Plugin" could not be found or created." that would occur if the settings file was missing.

0.2.1: Fixed "The given path's format is not supported" error when playing an ISO image.
         Fixed behaviour of the "Get subtitles for selected files" button when no videos have been selected.

0.2.0: Added option that finds all files in the library without subtitles and allows subtitles for them to be downloaded with one-click.

0.1.2: Improved checking of existing subtitles. Now doesn't download subtitles if there is a valid external subtitle file or if the video file contains embedded subtitles in the selected language.

0.1.1: Fixed "index and count must refer to a location within the string" error when playing a movie that did not have an IMDB ID value.
         Changing the language option now takes effect immediately rather than after Media Center was restarted as happened previously.

0.1.0: First public release.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Subtitle Downloader: New interface plug-in - Beta release
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:52 pm »

wow, can't wait to try it out.  the renaming, moving etc is tedious.   thanks very much for sharing.

craig

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »

Neat!

What's the source of the subtitles?

I'm asking because we've considered adding official support for subtitle downloading to the subtitle engine in JRiver in v18 (mentioned here).  Maybe there'd be a way to work together on this?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:39:59 pm »

Neat!

I'm asking because we've considered adding official support for subtitle downloading to the subtitle engine in JRiver in v18 (mentioned here).  Maybe there'd be a way to work together on this?

Even more exciting!!!!  Would be great if this was the start of video getting a little more love this cycle (darn mac people wanting a mac version and distracting you all from what is important) :) :) :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 01:46:32 am »

Works very well so far! Thanks. :)

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:19:10 am »

Neat!

The source for the subtitles is http://www.opensubtitles.org as they have a nice API that is easy to consume using C#. I think it would be great if this functionality could be incorporated into the app directly as there is a limitation I have come across that I guess could be resolved. The issue is that the subtitles don't always appear in the OSD without stopping and restarting playback which I did ask about in the thread I linked to in the first post. I think this must be to do with how quickly the subtitles are downloaded and unpacked as it works on my quick new HTPC but not on my old slower laptop.

I'm not sure how much help I can be if you do decide to include this functionality but I would be happy to help in any way I can.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:51:03 am »

I'll test it tonight, I've wanted something like this for a long time, so thanks a lot!

Do you think it would be possible to include podnapisi.net as a source for subs as well? Especially for series they seem to always have what I need.

Is there any control over what it downloads? What if it downloaded a sub that is not synced correctly, can I force it to choose another one?

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:03:56 am »

Do you think it would be possible to include podnapisi.net as a source for subs as well? Especially for series they seem to always have what I need.

That looks like a possibility, they have an API that looks pretty similar to Open Subtitles.

Is there any control over what it downloads? What if it downloaded a sub that is not synced correctly, can I force it to choose another one?

Not currently, no. It uses the info it has on the video file in combination with the information provided by Open Subtitles to make an educated guess as to which is the best subtitle file to download so it should get it right most of the time. Also, there is the subtitle timing options in the OSD that can be tweaked to help synchronisation if required.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:30:36 am »

That looks like a possibility, they have an API that looks pretty similar to Open Subtitles.

Not currently, no. It uses the info it has on the video file in combination with the information provided by Open Subtitles to make an educated guess as to which is the best subtitle file to download so it should get it right most of the time. Also, there is the subtitle timing options in the OSD that can be tweaked to help synchronisation if required.

Thanks.

The +/- timings via the OSD only works if the subtitles can be corrected with a fixed offset. Often though this is not the case due to fps mismatches or cut commercials.

For a future improvement, maybe you would consider using a remote button to pause playback and popup a window with a list of subtitles to choose from. Selection downloads it to the proper folder and renames it. Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy to see we have something already for which I am grateful!

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:53 am »

only tried it on a few files.  just like magic.  thanks

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »

Apart from some obscure mini series that no one seems to know about, it works fine for the few things I watched tonight.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 03:37:00 pm »

This is great news! I downloaded it right away!

However, i only got English subtitles on the files i've tested (which are perfectly synchronized i have to admit!) even if i set Greek as a subtitle preference in the plugin's menu.

I wonder what sources does it use ? Could it use other subtitles sites like for example tvsubtitles.gr (which is more or less THE subtitle go to place for greek tv show subs)

i'm up for testing!

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:27 pm »

This is great news! I downloaded it right away!

However, i only got English subtitles on the files i've tested (which are perfectly synchronized i have to admit!) even if i set Greek as a subtitle preference in the plugin's menu.

I wonder what sources does it use ? Could it use other subtitles sites like for example tvsubtitles.gr (which is more or less THE subtitle go to place for greek tv show subs)

i'm up for testing!

So just to be clear, even though you've set the language to Greek, it's downloading English subtitles? I'll take a look at the code and see if I can work out what's going wrong with that.

I am looking at supporting other sources apart from Open Subtitles so I'll add tvsubtitles.gr to the list of ones to look at.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:26 pm »

So just to be clear, even though you've set the language to Greek, it's downloading English subtitles? I'll take a look at the code and see if I can work out what's going wrong with that.

I am looking at supporting other sources apart from Open Subtitles so I'll add tvsubtitles.gr to the list of ones to look at.

Yes although it's more or less hit and miss, which makes me think it might be opensubtitles.com related... It failed to get Greek subs on every Big Bang theory episode i opened, but I just tested it again by using Disney's Brave movie and it picked the right subs.

Also i'm getting this error on some files (it appears to happen on files that have subtitles already either external or inside file containers)

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 03:53:09 pm »

Also i'm getting this error on some files (it appears to happen on files that have subtitles already either external or inside file containers)

I've fixed that particular issue and will be releasing a new version either later today or tomorrow to resolve it.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »

Ok i figured out the cause of why it wasn't getting Greek subs. The plugin doesn't take any changes to the language prefence into account unless i restart MC. I just tested it by switching languages and trying to redownload subtitles for the same movies!

And oh my god, this plugin is a time saver.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »

Ok i figured out the cause of why it wasn't getting Greek subs. The plugin doesn't take any changes to the language prefence into account unless i restart MC. I just tested it by switching languages and trying to redownload subtitles for the same movies!

And oh my god, this plugin is a time saver.

OK, that makes sense and I can resolve that problem. Glad it's helping you out :)

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »

New version posted with a couple of bug fixes.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 04:15:39 am »

you may want to try and get in contact with raldo who did the pvdimport plug-in.  he has some way that the plugin monitors new additions to the mc database and then performs actions on the new files.  if you could use this to automatically get missing subtitles, it would be very nice.  also you may be able to have a toggle to get subtitles for all files.  of course it may not be worth the effort if matt will subsume your work shortly.  it is great the way it is also :)  thanks again

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 04:58:40 am »

Version 0.1.2 uploaded. See first post for details.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 03:22:07 pm »

Version 0.2.0 uploaded. See first post for details.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 02:59:21 am »

Version 0.2.0 uploaded. See first post for details.

Thanks for the update, so far it's working like a charm:)

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 03:49:08 am »

Here's another bug report:

When opening DVD Movies in .iso image format, i get the following error:

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:29 am »

Here's another bug report:

When opening DVD Movies in .iso image format, i get the following error:

Thanks for the report, I will look at fixing that one, should be fairly straightforward.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 02:58:50 pm »

Version 0.2.1 uploaded. See first post for details.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 03:26:54 pm »

Appreciate all the effort you're putting into this, thanks!

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 10:05:03 am »

Hi,
I installed the plugin in windows 8 pro 64-bit, but when i get to mc18/tools/manage plugins to check"Show" i get the error: Interface plug-in "Subtitle Downloader Plugin" could not be found or created. I checked my installation and update files and DotNet 4.0 as well asd 4.5 have been installed.
What could be wrong?
Thanks for the help
George
geoptin

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:21 am »

Hi,
I installed the plugin in windows 8 pro 64-bit, but when i get to mc18/tools/manage plugins to check"Show" i get the error: Interface plug-in "Subtitle Downloader Plugin" could not be found or created. I checked my installation and update files and DotNet 4.0 as well asd 4.5 have been installed.
What could be wrong?
Thanks for the help
George

Hi, sorry you're having problems. First thing is that I have it working myself on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, so it should work fine. The only times I have had a problem that display that error you're getting is when some files have been missing, so here's a couple of things to check.

1. Go to the Subtitle Downloader plug-in folder (should be C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\SubtitleDownloader\) and check that you have the following files in there:

CookComputing.XmlRpcV2.dll
MediaInfo.dll
MediaInfoDotNet.dll
MediaJukeBox.dll
SubtitleDownloaderPlugin.dll
SubtitleDownloaderPlugin.Engine.dll

If any of these files are missing, I suggest you uninstall and reinstall the plugin.

2. Can you check that you have the full .NET 4 framework installed and not just the client profile which you should be able to tell by looking in Control Panel / Programs & Features.

If you still have the issue after checking these things can you confirm which version of the plugin and which version of Media Center you are using.

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »

Hello again,
Well, in Control Panel/programs/Turn features on or off I checked all the relevant boxes of .NET framework and restarted the computer. I did this because the full package of .Net 4 can't be installed because it's already in the operating system... I'm using the latest v.MC18.0.78.
I un- and re-installed the plugin v.0.2.1 and thre's one file missing "MediaJukeBox.dll". It just doesn't want to get installed!

Any help here?
Thanks,
George

geoptin

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »

Hello again,
Well, in Control Panel/programs/Turn features on or off I checked all the relevant boxes of .NET framework and restarted the computer. I did this because the full package of .Net 4 can't be installed because it's already in the operating system... I'm using the latest v.MC18.0.78.
I un- and re-installed the plugin v.0.2.1 and thre's one file missing "MediaJukeBox.dll". It just doesn't want to get installed!

Any help here?
Thanks,
George

OK, could you check one more thing for me please, could you open Windows Explorer and type the following into the address bar at the top:

%APPDATA%

When you press Enter that will take to your Application Data folder and from there you should be able to navigate to the WoodburySoftware\Subtitle Downloader folder in which there should be a settings.xml file. If it's there, could you post the contents of it please.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »

Version 0.2.2 uploaded. See first post for details.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 09:14:50 am »

Version 0.3.0 uploaded. See first post for details.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:13 am »

Version 0.3.0 uploaded. See first post for details.

Thanks for the update! Any progress on adding tvsubtitles.gr to the list ?:) There's also http://www.subs4series.com/ and http://www.subs4free.com/ which also serve Greek-translated subtitles for series and movies respectively. The reason i'm asking is because most of the translators/subtitlists here in Greece tend to use these instead of opensubtitles.org

I also want to say a huge Thank you for taking the time to write this plugin. Functionality such as this should be implemented in MC by default!

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:11 am »

Thanks for the update! Any progress on adding tvsubtitles.gr to the list ?:) There's also http://www.subs4series.com/ and http://www.subs4free.com/ which also serve Greek-translated subtitles for series and movies respectively. The reason i'm asking is because most of the translators/subtitlists here in Greece tend to use these instead of opensubtitles.org

I'd be happy to add these, my only issue is that they need some kind of API so that I can access the subtitles from code and so far I have no luck finding one for any of these sites.

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 10:09:42 am »

Hi Paul,
 Well, problem solved! Version 3 of the plugin worked like a charm! Thanks for your support. Now I'm going to try to download Greek subs.

George
geoptin

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »

Hello,

For me, not search subtitles. :'( :'( :'( :'( Subtitle Language Portuguese - BR.

My videos are named in Portuguese - BR. Is this the problem?

For example, movie: A Lenda de Beowulf. Original title: Beowulf

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 01:40:37 pm »

Hello,

For me, not search subtitles. :'( :'( :'( :'( Subtitle Language Portuguese - BR.

My videos are named in Portuguese - BR. Is this the problem?

For example, movie: A Lenda de Beowulf. Original title: Beowulf

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

The name of the movie being in Portugese should not be an issue as for movies it does not use the name, it uses the IMDB ID and so maybe that's the issue. You should have a value of tt0442933 in the IMDB ID field for Beowulf so it would be good if you can check that. If you still don't get any subtitles then let me know.

Fabricio

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:51 pm »

The name of the movie being in Portugese should not be an issue as for movies it does not use the name, it uses the IMDB ID and so maybe that's the issue. You should have a value of tt0442933 in the IMDB ID field for Beowulf so it would be good if you can check that. If you still don't get any subtitles then let me know.

I do not have this value. I have to add this value: tt0442933?

I do not understand.

Thank you for your attention.

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:18 am »

New error:

That's not an error I've seen before so could you give me some more detail about when this error occurs and what type of file you're playing. It would also be useful to know how the options are set.

Fabricio

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 08:33:43 am »

I do not have this value. I have to add this value: tt0442933?

I do not understand.

Thank you for your attention.

Fabricio, from Brazil.

I add this value: tt0442933. Dont work.

*********************** // ****************

New error:

For me also.

***************************** //// ***********************

That's not an error I've seen before so could you give me some more detail about when this error occurs and what type of file you're playing. It would also be useful to know how the options are set.

I am running video avi (Xvid) dual audio. Movie Beowulf, remember? Also, Superman: Doomsday.

I like your program, very good.

Hugs,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:50 am »

This seems to happen on mkv files that either have external subtitles already downloaded manually by me (before the installation of the plugin), or they have embedded subtitles inside the mkv container. I Confirmed this on 3 movies.

EDIT: All those movies in which i get this error, have the IMDB ID field populated. This does not happen for movies that don't have any imdb id value and already have Greek subs.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 10:26:19 am »

This seems to happen on mkv files that either have external subtitles already downloaded manually by me (before the installation of the plugin), or they have embedded subtitles inside the mkv container. I Confirmed this on 3 movies.

EDIT: All those movies in which i get this error, have the IMDB ID field populated. This does not happen for movies that don't have any imdb id value and already have Greek subs.

Thanks for that. I've managed to reproduce the error now, so I should have a fix soon.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:30 am »

Thanks for that. I've managed to reproduce the error now, so I should have a fix soon.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:00 am »

Version 0.3.1 uploaded. See first post for details.

Ekpen

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 01:55:47 pm »

I can not get the setup . I followed the link, it got me to ilividsetup.exe.
Is this the file I am supposed to get or just another detour to actually getting the real setup file..
I wrote a PM to you earlier, but no response.

I just want to be sure installing ilividsetup is the correct way to get this, hence I suggested if this is MC18 related utility, could it be posted on the Interact file area.

thanks
Ekpen.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »

I can not get the setup . I followed the link, it got me to ilividsetup.exe.
Is this the file I am supposed to get or just another detour to actually getting the real setup file..
I wrote a PM to you earlier, but no response.

I just want to be sure installing ilividsetup is the correct way to get this, hence I suggested if this is MC18 related utility, could it be posted on the Interact file area.

thanks
Ekpen.

Apologies, I didn't see your PM until just now. ilividsetup.exe is not the right file, it should just be called setup.exe, I'm really not sure what's going on there. I have taken your advice though and submitted it as a plug-in to JRiver, however it appears they have to approve it before it will go live but assuming they do it should be available soon.

Fabricio

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 07:09:30 pm »

Hello,

Now, it's worked perfectly.
Suggestion: I think it should have a feature not get subtitle when the film already has a caption. Do you understand?

Thanks,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 02:13:55 am »

Hello,

Now, it's worked perfectly.
Suggestion: I think it should have a feature not get subtitle when the film already has a caption. Do you understand?

Thanks,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Glad it's working for you Fabricio, however it shouldn't be trying to get subtitles if suitable subtitles already exist so can you tell me please what kind of subtitles you already have. Are they embedded as part of the video file or are they external files? If they are external files what filename do they have?

Fabricio

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 04:25:05 am »

Apologies, I didn't see your PM until just now. ilividsetup.exe is not the right file, it should just be called setup.exe, I'm really not sure what's going on there. I have taken your advice though and submitted it as a plug-in to JRiver, however it appears they have to approve it before it will go live but assuming they do it should be available soon.
Glad it's working for you Fabricio, however it shouldn't be trying to get subtitles if suitable subtitles already exist so can you tell me please what kind of subtitles you already have. Are they embedded as part of the video file or are they external files? If they are external files what filename do they have?

I needed to add IMDb ID. Now, search subtitles.

Well, I tested only with avi videos. External subtitles, srt format.

When I can, I will test with mkv video. Now, I'm at work.

Whenever I run the videos (which has subtitles), the program replaces my subtitles.

Excellent plugin.

Hugs,

Fabricio, from Brazil.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up