INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA problems with new panasonic blu-ray  (Read 6652 times)

sakendrick

• Recent member
DLNA problems with new panasonic blu-ray
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:29:12 pm »

Every few months I give MC another shot.  Just bought a new Panasonic Blu-ray.  Can't get most movies to play on it from my MC17 server... just says Can't Play.  They are all mkv... Tried a couple different conversion settings to no avail.  Searched lots, found no solutions.

Any suggestions on how to make this work?
Much appreciated.

sakendrick

• Recent member
Re: DLNA problems with new panasonic blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:07:48 am »

some updates to this.. many are MPG files, some are MKV some are AVI.  I can get 2 out about 20 MPG files to play using never convert.  Tried many combinations of settings DLNA extra on/off, MPEG over-ride, always convert, never convert, convert unsupported, convert using MPEG2 DVD, Low bandwidth, various NTSC, MP4.  No luck.

Anyone with a panasonic (anything) who has gotten DLNA video playback to work on fairly generic video files, please let me know what settings worked for you.  Or if there are some common combinations that work for most, I'm all ears.

Thanks
blu-ray is DMP-BD87P

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:33 pm »

any recommendations ?... I'm at a loss.  I bought MC specifically for DLNA serving and also bought the blu-ray specifically to act as a renderer - no real intentions to buy blu-ray disks.

One thing I've found in Panasonic threads is that it does a better job just reading from a network file - meaning, no use in using MC.  I haven't actually tried that approach yet but will look into it.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:35:10 pm »

My Panasonic LCD TV (TX-L47ETW50) with latest "SmartVIERA" engine plays almost all video files from MC17
as expected (without conversion, all "advanced" options OFF), mostly HD MKV files ripped with MakeMKV or
converted with XMediaRecode (using Panasonic profile with useful adjustments to each movie...). Most older
AVI files (divx/xvid) will not play when DLNA/DLNAExtra is ON. Only some AVI or MKV will not play at all, are
stuttering or can not use FF/REW, but these are badly ripped. I was able to fix most of them with XMediaRecode.

Video conversion for DLNA is not that great in MC17, I was never able to get it to work with my gear. I hope
there will be some improvements in MC18 in that area (on the fly MP4 conversion for iPad usage), but now
that I have ripped/converted everthing to MKV and the TV plays it well, I may never use it :P

I think the main trouble with MC and Panasonic devices is that Panasonic's DLNA XML is too different from
the "Generic DLNA" that is used by default. You can choose another one when adding another DLNA server in
the "Add or configure DLNA servers..." options. I did not had the time to play around with that, but it may
be worth a try. If I remember right, it's also possible somehow to get the XML from your device and add it to
MC's list or something like that. But maybe bob or one of the other forum users can help you better with that...

Good luck  ;)

sakendrick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »

Thanks - that's a bunch of great info.

So by "all advanced options off" you mean everything under advanced is unchecked?  I'll check out XMediaRecode as a option

I have found that if I don't use MediaCenter at all but instead use my WD TV Live Hub as my source/server I get a lot more playing without amy problems.  I also just bought a WD My Live Book, and expect I'll get simiar results from it.  Depending how it all goes I may not need to use MC, but would like to see if I can get it working anyways.  MC is likely better for music having better support for play lists, etc.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:42:33 am »

So by "all advanced options off" you mean everything under advanced is unchecked?
Yes, under "Add or configure DLNA servers..." > "Advanced" everything is unchecked
here. MC then acts as a "plain" UPnP server without DLNA extension.
"Video MimeType Override" is set to "avi" here, but I can't remember if that made a difference.

MC is likely better for music having better support for play lists, etc.
Yes, and even for video, it offers much more capabilities for sorting and ways to present
the library to devices than all other servers available...
Pages: [1]   Go Up